G37 Sedan

15k Service - How Much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ouch, steep. All they really need to do is change the in-cabin. I'd replace the air filter once a year too. They are inexpensive and easy to do.

So an oil change, free multi point inspection, filters, and wipers if needed? Not worth $500 IMO.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:51 PM
zoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The longer I don't see my dealer the better. It's in the same class as oral surgeon.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:51 PM
wzupdoc

I'm not trying to be cheap but I just can't justify paying $500 for something so simple.

Advance Auto Parts:
Royal Purple 5W-30 Motor Oil (5 qts) $44.95
K&N Oil Filter $13.99
Purolator Classic Panel Type Air Filter $14.99
Beck/Arnley Paper Cabin Air Filter $26.99
Trico NeoForm Wiper Blade (2) $43.98
Total (using AAP15OFF coupon code) $129.91

Could be done cheaper but these are high quality parts
Probably take 1 hour to do it yourself.

The dealer probably pays $75 for the parts they use. For an experienced tech it probably takes them 45 minutes so figure they paid the tech $15. $410 is a tidy little profit for them.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wzupdoc
The dealer probably pays $75 for the parts they use. For an experienced tech it probably takes them 45 minutes so figure they paid the tech $15. $410 is a tidy little profit for them.
Well, in the dealer's defense, they do stare blankly at the underside of your car for a brief moment to make sure nothing is falling off. It's value added service!!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:53 AM
Hapa DC5

Why pay for all of the inspections when there is a free multi point inspection included?
Old 06-26-2011, 03:06 AM
surfjax87

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Why pay for all of the inspections when there is a free multi point inspection included?
I always wonder about the inspections. Do they actually check things like torque specs and such or is it just, "my eyes tell me it looks fine"

FWIW, both times I brought my car in for warranty work, they did the "multipoint inspection" as well for free.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:44 AM
Hliang

I think they do inspections for any service... (don't quote me on that)

if they do though, just go in for a simple oil change and do everything else yourself.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Hapa DC5

^ they do if you request it.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:28 PM
jg10G37-S

I just did my third oil change on my car as I don't drive it much (work from home) so no major wear on the oil or too much stop/go and my mileage is low for a year now, 11.5K miles so I would fall under the 7K mile oil changes but I do it sooner.

I do my own oil change, buy the required oil and while it's on sale, keep records/receipts and so all three changes have cost me almost $60. The crappy part is having to remove the bottom cover with all those 10mm bolts but besides that, it's quick and easy.

I inspect all the parts and because it's a G37S, no need to rotate the tires just inspect those too. On my next oil change I will have to replace the filters (cabin/air) and etc. but I won't be paying no $500 plus for something as easy as this.

JG
Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Noddy11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I had it done anyway, one born every minute I guess. I told them I had a coupon that I couldn't find so they knocked off $47, better than a kick in the *** I guess. The invoice shows they replaced the air filter, oil filter and oil, drain plug gasket, lubed door hinges and locks, rotated and balanced tires, replaced the wipers, replaced the cabin air filter, topped off fluids and "inspected" 16 other things.

The invoice breaks down the costs before discount to $275 labor, $198 parts and $20 for "expenses", not sure what that is, maybe the mechanic's lunch. Parts include fuel and oil additives. One line says "Install BG products", don't know what that means. The parts list shows an air filter kit at $42.71 and two "element assy air" at $22.49 each. No idea what that last one is either.

The days of lying under cars and bending over engines are behind me as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather pay someone to do it at this point, unless it's something really basic. Next time though I'll go to a non-dealer and see if I can save a few bucks.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:58 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Noddy11
The days of lying under cars and bending over engines are behind me as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather pay someone to do it at this point, unless it's something really basic. Next time though I'll go to a non-dealer and see if I can save a few bucks.
At 52, with a bad back, I hear you there! I like to buy my oil and filter and let them change it for me, for $32.

Plus there's the added satisfaction of knowing your G has been looked over and serviced by Infiniti. Gives me a good feeling when I drive away. They are good at that... and that's got to help a bit should warranty work ever be needed.

Oil & Filter - I buy materials, they change it
Cabin Filter - they do it all
Air Filter - I do it
Tire Rotations - free at Discount Tire
Wiper Blades - I do it
Misc Warranty Stuff - they do it

That's about the extent of it all after 1.5 years and 20,000 miles.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:03 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jg10G37-S
I just did my third oil change on my car
Where do you jack the car, in the middle cross-brace, under the engine? I have a floor jack but don't think it'll fit under the side of the car, and don't feel comfortable under there with just the floor jack holding the car. I have jack stands as well, just not sure where to place them.

I did all my own oil changes from age 16-50 but not on this G.

1) new bride hates the oil mess
2) new bride doesn't want me under the car
3) can't dispose of old oil as easy as before
4) don't trust jacking locations
5) free rentals from Infiniti make it easy...
Old 06-27-2011, 07:43 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Noddy11
Well I had it done anyway, one born every minute I guess. I told them I had a coupon that I couldn't find so they knocked off $47, better than a kick in the *** I guess. The invoice shows they replaced the air filter, oil filter and oil, drain plug gasket, lubed door hinges and locks, rotated and balanced tires, replaced the wipers, replaced the cabin air filter, topped off fluids and "inspected" 16 other things.

The invoice breaks down the costs before discount to $275 labor, $198 parts and $20 for "expenses", not sure what that is, maybe the mechanic's lunch. Parts include fuel and oil additives. One line says "Install BG products", don't know what that means. The parts list shows an air filter kit at $42.71 and two "element assy air" at $22.49 each. No idea what that last one is either.

^ it's your money. but fuel AND oil additives?!? that's a soak-job there. absolutely no need. the owner's manual even says not to use additives. also, those air filter charges look off: i can see $42 for the engine air filters (total) but why were you charged for two cabin filters? our cars only have one, at least mine does...
Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Noddy11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ it's your money. but fuel AND oil additives?!? that's a soak-job there. absolutely no need. the owner's manual even says not to use additives. also, those air filter charges look off: i can see $42 for the engine air filters (total) but why were you charged for two cabin filters? our cars only have one, at least mine does...
No idea really. The fuel additive line says "44K" whatever that means, and cost $23.87. The oil additive line says "M0A" and cost $12.70. Maybe they spit in the tank and call it additive. I suppose I should ask why they charged me for two filters if there's only one.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:23 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Noddy

There's 1 Cabin Air Filter, and 2 Engine Air Filters.

BG products are not bad. Hell, I use fuel additives myself. But for the dealer to do it, charge for it, and not explain it is really quite disturbing.

Replacing the engine air filters costs $35 for parts and takes 5 minutes tops.

Buying your own oil and filter and taking it to Jiffy Lube will cost you maybe $65 depending on how pricey the oil is. But they replace the crush washer for you in that $65.

Rotating and balancing tires costs what, $30 at a tire shop (if you can't get it for free)?

Lubing the door hinges and locks is a BS charge. We're talking $5 worth of lube and 5 minutes.

Replacing the cabin filter takes like 30 minutes. My dealer charged my $62 in labor. I bought my own cabin filter for $12.

Very good wiper blades cost $25 for a pair, and can be replaced in a matter of minutes by yourself.

Topping off fluids should be free. As should inspecting 16 other things.

So - your service should have cost about ~$250. They made 100% profit on you.

Quick Reply: 15k Service - How Much?