G37 Sedan

Gas Saving Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Meanie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Saving Mods

Ok. I'm a new G owner, but the car is a year old with 13k, so it is already broken in. Like many I find the city mileage concerning even though for such a powerful car it makes sense. Threads that have to do with mileage seem to be very popular, so I don't think I am alone here. So here is the question. What mods have people done or know about that will improve gas mileage? Maybe we can compile a list for those who are dreading $5 a gallon is lurking, or prize efficiency as well as oomph. For the purpose of this thread the mod does not have to improve performance (although that would be nice) but should not degrade it appreciably either. Please try to cite some supporting data and cost versus fuel savings estimates.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Lighten the load. Get an intake and exhaust and DON'T stomp on the gas.

That should help. (good luck with not stomping on the gas)
Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM
stormgate

TURBONATOR!!!

DUAL TURBONATOR TURBO COLD AIR INTAKE FUEL SAVER FAN | eBay

i'm just kidding man. the only real way to save gas... is don't stomp it!

it's all about driving habits. i find that using the cruise control saves me on gas. my wife will sit there driving while looking at the mpg on the display screen to get the line between the 20 and the 30... i feel like she is playing a video game or something when she drives. i just throw it in 6th and turn on the cruise control.

i've added an intake and am soon getting an exhaust... although some may say it saves gas... wether that's true or not... in my hands it wouldn't save gas... once the sound is going... i don't want it to go away.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Meanie

I think most of us realize that we will maximize fuel efficiency by driving like a nun (nun of this, nun of that), but then we might as well drive a Prius, and really save gas. This is a have your cake and eat it too thread. I can't believe that Infiniti has made the G as efficient as it possibly can be. Afterall, there are cost/benefit decisions with any product. Some cars offer eco modes where less aggressive throttle and tranny response can be selected for when you want to loaf it, but sport modes for when you want to thrash the Acura next to you. No one wants to drive eco all the time, but wouldn't the option be nice if someone made a good add on for the G? Freer breathing exhaust often improves power by making the engine more efficient, which might improve mileage as well. Perhaps a good tune makes it suck down a bit less gas at idle and as you make your way up the torque curve, afterall it is the stop and go low rpm, let's getting this buggy moving stuff that kills mileage in daily driving. I don't know if any of these things are true of the G, since I am new to it and have never modded. What do you guys think?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:32 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
I think Infiniti engineers have maximized the efficiency of the VQ37VHR within the design specs for the G. If you think that a few bolt-on mods will make any appreciable difference in your mileage, you're dreaming.

One suggestion that really does work is to look far ahead as you drive. Anticipate delays and stops. Roll off the throttle as you see a red light up ahead, always maintain momentum within reason and use the brakes sparingly and smoothly if at all possible.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Meanie

So far we got hypermiling, toss the back seat and spare (lighten the load), maybe exhaust mods, and...oh yeah, quit dreamin! So basically, we assume that Infiniti has made the G as fuel efficient as possible (that is until they add Direct Injection, or a turbo, or hybridize it, or all three)? Reaffirms my faith in a higher power.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:58 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Meanie
So far we got hypermiling, toss the back seat and spare (lighten the load), maybe exhaust mods, and...oh yeah, quit dreamin! So basically, we assume that Infiniti has made the G as fuel efficient as possible (that is until they add Direct Injection, or a turbo, or hybridize it, or all three)? Reaffirms my faith in a higher power.
Well do you want a sports car or a fuel efficient car? The two aren't mutually exclusive but you're only going to get so much fuel efficiency out of a sports car. Sure Infiniti could make it more fuel efficient but then you're going to be cutting into the sportiness of the car. You could also use exotic materials and technologies to make it more fuel efficient but then you're driving up the price. Short of buying a different car that's optimized for fuel efficiency as opposed to sportiness, there's only so much that can be done.

As others said, don't load the vehicle down and drive smoothly with a light foot. Also make sure your tires are properly inflated.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:13 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I've decided to pay a little extra in gas every year and drive it like I stole it.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:06 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
FWIW.

G35Driver - View Single Post - Mods vs. MPG

I've done things since then, most notably going back to 18s and putting on the Invidia CBE, but i don't have as much data available to make a notable report. So far, so good though.

But what i take from this is that mods don't do much. As posted earlier, you need to lighten up *significantly* and really change the way you drive and touch those pedals.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 AM
4drScreamer

I guess the question is: what gas mileage are you getting now and what can be done to improve it?

I get 20 mpg average after almost 19,000 miles. Lots of aggressive driving. Definitely not light on the pedal and regularly get frustrated in traffic and have to blow past slowbies on the road.

I did enjoy cruise control the other day set at 90 mph and just watching the tach sit there hovering just below 3000 rpm. That was sweet!

I don't complain about the fuel efficiency based on how I'm driving. I think it's dam good. My '05 TL got 23 mpg even at 100,000 miles with only CAI, but it didn't have nearly the guts my G has!

Last edited by 4drScreamer; 06-14-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 AM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't slowly cruise up to speed but also don't slam on it. you have to find that balance.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 AM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
drop the 2.5 in there.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:50 PM
fluxemag

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rks
drop the 2.5 in there.

haha, good one
Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmura
I think Infiniti engineers have maximized the efficiency of the VQ37VHR within the design specs for the G. If you think that a few bolt-on mods will make any appreciable difference in your mileage, you're dreaming.

One suggestion that really does work is to look far ahead as you drive. Anticipate delays and stops. Roll off the throttle as you see a red light up ahead, always maintain momentum within reason and use the brakes sparingly and smoothly if at all possible.
I think you're right on here. Infiniti has designed in the best fuel economy they can for the car already. 5W-30 oil (thin when cold to reduce friction), 7 speeds... and they were proud when the 2009 model got 1 MPG more than the 2008. I can assure you that with all the pressure from the government to reduce fuel consumption, if Infiniti could spend a few hundred to save 1-2 MPG, they would.

I would consider the latest auto tranny flash - I believe it reduces drag when coasting which should, in turn, save fuel. Also, fuel saving tires (low friction) are becoming more popular.

I live in Dallas and my long term city average is 18.1 MPG. Not great but that includes some tire spinning and fun.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Meanie

Just finished my second tank of gas. Probably could have topped 400 before hitting the station but didn't want to push it (it took 17 gal). I have been driving it easy for a mixture of highway and city. The aggressive tranny responses that were a legacy of the prior driver have calmed since I first took ownership, and I got 22.3 mpg by the hand calculated method. This clearly tops all the stored history in the computer. Now that is not too shabby, and I agree with all the posts that that driving method has a lot to do with mileage. However, when I started this thread it was not as a complaint about mileage, but an exploration of any mods that might enhance it. After all, you guys are modding EXPERTS from what I can see. On some of the MPG threads I see folks making claims of improved mileage due to gas choices (V Power, tried some tonight because it was convenient), Grounding Wires, exhaust and tune choices and what not. If some of these things will improve mileage and one is going to mod anyway, why not go in that direction. So I fugured why not start a thread to try to compile this info in one place? I appreciate the gas saving advice, but not much is happening with the mod idea.
2010 G37xS w Premium and Nav

Quick Reply: Gas Saving Mods