G37 Sedan

Bike hitch & carrier

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM
SCWells72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Bike hitch & carrier

Thanks to its fold-down rear seats, I could fit one of my mountain bikes in my S4 with only the front wheel detached, but the G37's trunk doesn't accommodate my bikes even if I take off both wheels. As a result, right now I can't really take my bikes with me in the G; I have to borrow my wife's SUV if I want to ride anywhere but the local park. I don't want to use a trunk- or roof-mounted rack because of the damage they can do.

As a result I'm having a hitch added to my G37S 6MT next Monday, and I bought a two bike carrier yesterday to use with it. My Infiniti service department referred me to Uhaul for the hitch ($129 + tax for parts & labor):

Sportframe 1 1/4 inch Rec (Powder Coat)
Class 1 hitch
Max weight: 2,000 lbs,
Includes a coupon for $10 off installation
Part# 24773

and I managed to take advantage of a Memorial Day sale at Performance Bike to get an XPORT flatbed two bike hitch rack for $135.

Total investment will be just under $300 which is certainly cheaper (and less irritating!) than having the trunk re-sprayed! I can post pics and impressions next week once it's all done if anyone is interested.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:03 PM
SiguRos

Thanks for sharing. I've been considering doing the same but was afraid that it would be kinda expensive. Seems like you got a good deal though.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 PM
itisagoodname

Yes, please post pics when completed! This might actually work for a lightweight motorcycle trailer i was looking at the other day.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:39 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Check here for more posting about hitch..
https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...k-options.html

I have this one and I am very happy with it.
1up USA Ultra Rack
Old 06-06-2011, 04:52 PM
SCWells72

Angry

Well, I was supposed to have the hitch installed over lunch today, and that ended up going...poorly. Drove over to the U-Haul branch where installation was scheduled. After hanging out in the lobby completely alone for a few minutes, a guy finally walked in. I told him why I was there and he said he didn't know about my reservation. He finally looked it up on the computer and confirmed it, then proceeded to tell me that everything I'd been told when making the reservation was in fact wrong:
  1. No one from *his* branch had scheduled an appointment in spite of the fact that I called their branch directly to reschedule after finding out they had scheduled me for 7AM without consulting me at all. Must have been one of those "call center guys" (said by him with disdain).
  2. The part is not $129.95 even though that's EXACTLY what they quoted me and what is shown on their own Web site if you select 2010 Infiniti G37 4DR RWD.
  3. The quoted price does not include parts & labor in spite of the reservation confirmation email I received from them saying (copy/pasted straight from that message) "This rate includes the cost for the permanent hitch and the labor required to install the hitch." He told me it must have been "the call center guy's" first day or something to send an email like that. A form email, mind you...with the details of the car model, quoted price, and selected U-Haul branch merged into it. Yeah, that guy screwed up a freaking form-based confirmation.
  4. Installation is not 1-1.5 hours, more like a full day and I need to leave the car with them.
Needless to say, I was pretty flabbergasted. I told him I'd actually confirmed repeatedly with "the call center guy" that labor/installation was included because frankly I didn't expect that at all, and that guy's response was "Sir, this is my job. It's what I do every day. In fact, I've just made reservations for several other folks to have hitches installed. Trust me that this is a single price for parts & labor, and your confirmation will spell that out for you clearly." (which, as I pasted above, it did). Then I asked him to wait while I pulled up the confirmation email, and while I was doing that on my iPhone, I said something like "Well, if we can't come to an agreement on this I'll need to get my $50 deposit back while I figure out what's going on." The guy started typing and, when I found the email and showed him the passage included above, he said, "Doesn't matter. I just canceled your reservation and refunded your deposit." I just stared at him for a few, then said, "Why don't we call U-Haul corporate about this real quick?" He said, "I'm the General Manager. You can't go above me. This is done." Okay...I just stepped away and called the phone number in my confirmation email to see what the heck had just happened! I mentioned that I might just get the part and see if Infiniti would install it during my next servicing, and he replied, "Oh, Infiniti will charge you six...seven...eight hundred dollars to install it." I just laughed at that one.

Unfortunately I didn't get through to customer service quickly, so I drove back to my office and finally reached them a bit later. I explained the situation and made it clear that while I'd like to know how this whole disconnect/mistake happened, frankly I don't mind paying $50 for installation if if it really is just an accounting mistake. I'm not looking to rob them of $50 because of a mistake. Hell, there's really not much difference between $300 and $350 for a properly-installed permanent hitch on my car from my perspective. At this point it's a matter of principle, and I definitely won't let THAT guy touch my car! I provided customer service all the info I had included the reservation confirmation email I'd received. They started an escalation on the matter and I should hear something in the next 48 hours about how they're planning to address it.

I think "we've refunded your money; sorry we couldn't make it work" is as likely a response as "okay, we've transferred your hitch to another branch; when's a good time for you?" (which may or may not include an extra charge for labor). All I want is the hitch installed by someone competent so I have the freedom to take my bikes back and forth with me freely.

I'll let you guys know what happens, and if U-Haul falls through as a candidate I'll look at the options posted on the link in the previous post. Right now I'm just a pretty PO'ed consumer...
Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
GaryG7

If you use a trunk rack or a hitch-mounted rack, wouldn't that block the lens for the back up camera?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:09 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Why not buy a roof rack for the bike? I had the same problem, took me 30 minutes to get the bike in the back seat..
Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Maxpilot

I use a Saris Bones 2 and like it. Takes longer to put on and take off. The back-up camera lens is partially blocked by my bike but it is still useful.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 PM
SiguRos

Man that sucks. I hate how customer service has gone down the drain in all aspects of business.