G37 Sedan

Battery CCA

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:04 PM
g37brad
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery CCA

(sorry about G37 Coupe post, I meant to post here)

Hi guys,

I was recently at my friend's dad's shop to get some tires put on, and he thought the car started weak...I told him that's how it always starts, kinda makes a long sound but it's normal from what I know. He tested the battery just for the hell of it, since I still have the original battery. It came out to a "Marginal" status and showed 525 CCA on the receipt type printout. Do I need to get this replaced? How many CCA is too low? I think it was originally 600, and now only has 525?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2011, 01:39 PM
g37brad
Banned

Nobody knows?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Most batteries last between 3-5 years. Some less, some more. If Infiniti is like Acura they may have a 3 year 36k full replacement on the battery. After that will be a proration.

I believe 550-600 is the CCA on our cars. A lot of the times these handheld testers aren't the best and have a higher then average failure rate.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:13 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
How long has the battery been in the car?

My '09 is doing as yours does, does not turn over with as much "velocity" as it once did - but still starts the car just fine. I will probably wait for it to give me one more sign of trouble before replacing it. I suspect this hot summer (Dallas) will do it in.

Undecided if I'll pursue the Infiniti warranty, or just buy a better battery outright and go from there. I would likely get at least 600 CCA. Online battery selectors show batteries in the 550-600+ range.

I cannot locate the specific factory CCA for a 2009 G37 sedan.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 05-22-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added two last sentences
Old 05-22-2011, 09:57 PM
g37brad
Banned

My car is an 09' as well...not sure exactly how long the battery has been inside the car though (production date, etc)

I looked at the battery and it says 575 CCA right on the top of it, and saw something about a 84 month warranty?

The test that I had done showed 530 CCA in the battery. Does it need to be replaced?

I'm in Florida, and can't just wait it out really. I don't feel like being stranded, or late to work.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:46 PM
TinsleyC

You can tell the build month/year by looking at the sticker where the tire pressure stuff is located, in the driver's door seal area. It may say something like 05/09 for May 2009.

If the warranty is 84 months then I will likely go to the dealer as the pro-rated amount remaining should be pretty good. That's 7 years, mine has been in the car about 2 years...

I don't know if they will replace it... depends on the dealer. They may try to get you to leave it and give it a trickle charge. I would tell them you've noticed a slow down in starting power and you're afraid of getting stranded. Remind them that you will be sure to call them for roadside service when it fails...

Also, if you have a trickle charger, try charging it and see if it helps. I bought a cheap one at Sears for about $15. Also, pop off the battery cell covers (assuming it's not maintenance free, and sealed) and check the water level. You can fill the water up to the rings in the cells with distilled water only. I've used filtered water in a pinch on older batteries but don't in this case... Infiniti may void your warranty.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 05-23-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: added clarity
Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 PM
TinsleyC

Okay, look your warranty booklet (or download a new one) and it tells about the warranty offered on the battery.

Months In Service, % You Pay
--------------------------------
0-24 ........................ 0%
25-32 ..................... 25%
33-50 ..................... 50%
51-84 ..................... 75%

Last edited by TinsleyC; 05-23-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: darn formatting...
Old 05-24-2011, 12:07 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
My '04 G still had its original battery in it when I traded it in last year.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 AM
ualdep
Registered Member

I just got my battery rpl by dealer under warranty. There is a TSB for "slow start". My low CCA batt was rpl by a 700+ CCA batt No charge.

09 G37S 11K
Old 06-01-2011, 07:36 PM
g37brad
Banned

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Okay, look your warranty booklet (or download a new one) and it tells about the warranty offered on the battery.

Months In Service, % You Pay
--------------------------------
0-24 ........................ 0%
25-32 ..................... 25%
33-50 ..................... 50%
51-84 ..................... 75%
Hey Tinsley, this was spot on. I'm looking at paying a very small amount for a new battery...thanks for that info.

Also I have an appointment for a week from this Saturday...about 10 days from now. It seems to be starting up pretty slow, and was wondering if there is anything I can do to make sure it holds out until next Saturday...I would go sooner, but I'm literally busy everyday until then.

Is there anything I can do, or shouldn't do to keep the battery lasting even longer? Certain things I should have on/off? Anyone have any insight? Possibly certain things off when I start the car? Certain options off?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:35 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
As mentioned one of the things would be to get a smart charger. It would come in handy if you don't drive the car frequently or do a lot of short trips where you battery never gets up to full charge. You can pick one up at Walmart for around $20. Make sure it is a smart charger, that way it wont overcharge the battery no matter how long you leave it on.
I have 2 smart chargers. One I use for my motorcycle and the other for my cars. I don't use it much on the G because when I drive the G it is usually for a long distance and I don't let the G sit for more then a week.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:56 PM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same problem as you folks a few weeks ago. Over the past 3 months or so I had to jump start my G sedan a couple of times as it just didn't have enough juice to turn the engine over, then about a week and a half ago I went to start it and it was as dead as it could be, I couldn't even unlock the door with the fob. I opened the door with the key just to confirm from inside there was no power at all, absolutely as dead as it could be. I called my dealer and told them I was going to bring it in and I was lucky enough to start it with a jump. The mechanic tested it and said the battery was showing about 470 CCAs and that it should be either 550 or 570 CCAs, I forgot exactly which he said. The reason given was I don't drive the car enough (I do have only 4600miles on an 09) and that "these cars draw so much power from the batt. even when not being used the power is getting sucked out of the battery at too fast a rate. I kind of feel that is a bit of BS and that the cars charging system is inadequate or the is a design flaw. Anyway, they put in a new 700CCA battery with a 5 year warr. with 2 year replacement 3 yrs pro-rated.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:04 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by gimpy
I had the same problem as you folks a few weeks ago. Over the past 3 months or so I had to jump start my G sedan a couple of times as it just didn't have enough juice to turn the engine over, then about a week and a half ago I went to start it and it was as dead as it could be, I couldn't even unlock the door with the fob. I opened the door with the key just to confirm from inside there was no power at all, absolutely as dead as it could be. I called my dealer and told them I was going to bring it in and I was lucky enough to start it with a jump. The mechanic tested it and said the battery was showing about 470 CCAs and that it should be either 550 or 570 CCAs, I forgot exactly which he said. The reason given was I don't drive the car enough (I do have only 4600miles on an 09) and that "these cars draw so much power from the batt. even when not being used the power is getting sucked out of the battery at too fast a rate. I kind of feel that is a bit of BS and that the cars charging system is inadequate or the is a design flaw. Anyway, they put in a new 700CCA battery with a 5 year warr. with 2 year replacement 3 yrs pro-rated.
Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. You drive about 200 miles a month. I imagine that the keyless entry and security systems do draw a fair amount of power. So the battery drains and you don't run it long enough to get it charged all the way again.

In comparison, I drive more than that in 2 days, and I have never had a problem with my battery.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KLB
Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. You drive about 200 miles a month. I imagine that the keyless entry and security systems do draw a fair amount of power. So the battery drains and you don't run it long enough to get it charged all the way again.

In comparison, I drive more than that in 2 days, and I have never had a problem with my battery.
+1
The mystery to me is how you could have G and not have a compulsion to drive it more than that. My weekly commuting is about 250, but I probably do 200 a month in driving just for the hell of driving the G. My wife's car is a WRX, and the G is more fun.

To each his own, though.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:14 PM
g37brad
Banned

Originally Posted by KLB

If I leave my car unlocked will it save the battery?

Quick Reply: Battery CCA