G37 Sedan

So we test drove a bunch of cars.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
IMHO, a Bently is not a Volkswagen, an Infiniti is not a Nissan, but, a Hyundai is a Hyundai. I think they should have split to Hyundai / Genesis, maybe they will some day... until then...
But see, a Bentley doesn't share parts bins with a VW. The Infiniti is sold as a Nissan in other parts of the world, and shares parts bins with Nissans.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
But see, a Bentley doesn't share parts bins with a VW. The Infiniti is sold as a Nissan in other parts of the world, and shares parts bins with Nissans.
Nor does it share the same name. ;-)
Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It is hard to find 40k cars that meet multiple criteria. The TL is more comfortable then the G, but it is heavier and slower. AWD maintenance cost is higher too (damaged a tire and you will have to buy 4, and heavier car eat tires). BMW 335i is exciting but it will be closer to 50k, plus reliability is luck of the draw. A4 is smaller but actually more room and more comfortable due to smaller transmission tunnel, but it is slow. The Genesis has a lot of room, and actually more sporting and better looking then its big brother Equius. It may not be as refined as the Lexus, but pricing is better. I think used Genesis is very good values. On the other hand if nice ride quality is preferred, then I vote for the GS350.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:21 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
Nor does it share the same name. ;-)
Lots of the luxury brands do share a certain amount of parts, but only some. I just had my front rotors resurfaced, and I was in the shop talking to the mech while it was happening and the mech was impressed with the suspension parts on my g as they were all mostly high strength hollow aluminum - no rust, and expensive to make. You will not find those same suspension parts on say, an Altima, and my G8 had suspension parts - arms, linkages, knuckles etc., all made of iron and cheap plastic. Consequently they were heavier, less strong, and less reliable but cheaper to make. That is what you pay for in a 'Luxury' brand, theoretically.

I believe you can get a Cayenne with a base, normally aspirated six for around 50k. It also options with a v8 and a twin turbo v8. I think. Those packages are what make the Cayenne outrageously priced.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:23 AM
G35sportsedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the car is for your wife I say get the Audi A4 or A5 that is a good girls car. Nice styling and good for commuting. The main concern maybe reliability but I think it shares parts with golf or jetta, or even better get a new jetta and save 20k. But All girls want to drive an Audi A5 cuz it looks good and it's not overbearingly fast or powerful. Actually it maybe the slowest car in it's class but it sure does look good for being slow. Just don't be fooled that's it's much better than a G performance wise like MCA
Old 05-07-2011, 03:20 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you considered the new Buick Regal? It's based on the European Opel and supposed to be very nice.

Aside from that, $40K goes a helluva long way in the pre-owned market. You can find a nice, low miles pre-owned Mercedes E-Class, Jaguar XF, etc.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Fire0nIc3

Not true at all. The Bentley Continental GT or whatever the hell it is shares the same electric components for the climate control, radio, and headunits as Volkswagen. Even the navi layout is the same.

Oh and by the way the head unit for the navi and what not is a total piece of **** in that thing. Lots of complaints about that too.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:29 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CougarRed
Have you considered the new Buick Regal? It's based on the European Opel and supposed to be very nice.

Aside from that, $40K goes a helluva long way in the pre-owned market. You can find a nice, low miles pre-owned Mercedes E-Class, Jaguar XF, etc.
Yes this ^ you could get a 2009 merc e550 for 40k, etc.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by CougarRed

I took a pretty good look at them while I was killing time waiting for my wife that was shopping near a GM dealer. The looks are very nice and seems to really be geared toward younger families compared to most Buick vehicles. As w/ most American cars you'll likely take a huge hit when you trade it in or sell down the road but seems like a pretty nice car. I also took a look at the new Chrysler 300, they have done some nice things w/ the interior & exterior and in the 35-40k price range you'll get a nicely equipped vehicle. It's the first year of the new design so there may be some initial issues to deal with. Doesn't sound like OP is looking for domestic cars however, if so the Mustang GT 5.0 would be my choice
Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CodeG
damaged a tire and you will have to buy 4
Wait...what?

If the wear on the tires is less than about 1/16", you can replace one tire with no issues (but check manufacturer recommendations). In any case, you can have a tire shaved to match treadwear, and thus diameter, of the others. Tire Rack does this for about $25 a pop.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:20 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Volvo is owned by Ford.

Have you considered a Maxima?

@ MSCA: I never brough up racing, you did. I just said AWD doesn't help turn the car.
Volvo is now owned by the Chinese company "Geely".
Old 05-08-2011, 09:40 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tharbemiko
I don't know the technical aspects of AWD cornering, but from my experience of actually owning the TL SH-AWD for over a year I can only describe the "cornering" as being more "comfortable" when you apply the gas.
This will help you visualize the inherent advantages of AWD versus RWD. Notice how the Audi powers through the corners very composed, while the BMW has to basically drift through the same corners just to keep up.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/a...-bmw-m3-video/
Old 05-08-2011, 10:51 AM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's an AWD tutorial video (for Acura's SH-AWD)

Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system - Top Speed

There's a similar video for Audi's system when you also have the sport differential option. Thought I saved a link to it but can't find it.

Edit: found the Audi video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQowh2Kr38s

Last edited by clutch5; 05-08-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:39 PM
4drScreamer

Originally Posted by blnewt
I took a pretty good look at them while I was killing time waiting for my wife that was shopping near a GM dealer. The looks are very nice and seems to really be geared toward younger families compared to most Buick vehicles. As w/ most American cars you'll likely take a huge hit when you trade it in or sell down the road but seems like a pretty nice car. I also took a look at the new Chrysler 300, they have done some nice things w/ the interior & exterior and in the 35-40k price range you'll get a nicely equipped vehicle. It's the first year of the new design so there may be some initial issues to deal with. Doesn't sound like OP is looking for domestic cars however, if so the Mustang GT 5.0 would be my choice
Buick! Are you kidding! Warning Will Robinson! Warning! Buick on the road! Warning! Honestly I haven't checked them out lately, so it's not really fair to say, but anytime I see a Buick anywhere on the road near me, I freak. Even my wife warns me when one comes near. That market sector is just a cluster. Even when I do turn 80 I still won't even look at one of those. So many other options to choose from.

I agree that in the $40K range the possibilities are almost unlimited for the used car market. But seriously - a Buick? Uuugggggghhh!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drScreamer
Buick! Are you kidding! Warning Will Robinson! Warning! Buick on the road! Warning! Honestly I haven't checked them out lately, so it's not really fair to say, but anytime I see a Buick anywhere on the road near me, I freak. Even my wife warns me when one comes near. That market sector is just a cluster. Even when I do turn 80 I still won't even look at one of those. So many other options to choose from.

I agree that in the $40K range the possibilities are almost unlimited for the used car market. But seriously - a Buick? Uuugggggghhh!
lol, I certainly didn't say one was ending up in my garage, just that their designs are getting more modern and should appeal to younger buyers. Younger than their demographic just a few years ago (late 50s to the rest home).

Quick Reply: So we test drove a bunch of cars.