So we test drove a bunch of cars.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
Volvo is owned by Ford.

Have you considered a Maxima?

@ MSCA: I never brough up racing, you did. I just said AWD doesn't help turn the car.
Thanks! Does it mean anything that Volvo is owned by Ford? Shared engine/tech/chassis?

We don't like the Maxima.

Please don't bring up any AWD discussion to this thread.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:52 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by breftayka
Sorry for OT, but what was #1?
Number 1 is Porsche, I believe.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:01 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ MSCA: I never brough up racing, you did. I just said AWD doesn't help turn the car.
Oh, really? I guess you were talking about regular street driving when you said this:

It still doesn't help you turn. Gripping is faster than drifting unless you're off road
and this:

If you're accelerating through the turn in a FWD/AWD car, you entered the turn too slow
Yeah, you must've been talking about boulevard cruising.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:03 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by hadokenuh

Please don't bring up any AWD discussion to this thread.
Too late...you already started the AWD discussion in your very first post:

...but the TL is actually better in corners due to AWD...
Old 05-06-2011, 02:15 PM
MSCA
Banned

And, for the record, my regular street driving may regularly involve being sideways on freeway onramps and being over the sound limit by quite a wide margin.
Nice. You're quite the Speed Racer.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks! Does it mean anything that Volvo is owned by Ford? Shared engine/tech/chassis?

We don't like the Maxima.
The S40 shares a lot of parts with the Mazda 3 and the european Focus.

As far as I know, the S60 is pretty much its own car; Ford didn't integrate too much into Volvo, and vice versa.

Since you are considering the FX, what are your thoughts on the Cayanne and MDX? What about the Infiniti M? Acura RL?
Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 PM
tharbemiko

Wow can we please just get back to suggesting cars for hadokenuh? I really didn't to add my thoughts previously but I'll just share my experience. I don't know the technical aspects of AWD cornering, but from my experience of actually owning the TL SH-AWD for over a year I can only describe the "cornering" as being more "comfortable" when you apply the gas. Let me explain through a test I did. Going through a corner at a decent speed without applying gas, I felt the body roll and I had to turn the wheel more in order to stay in my lane (guessing this is understeer?). Going through the same corner at the same speed (but this time applying a little throttle as I entered the corner), it "felt" like car was literally pushing me into the direction I'm turning into smoothly without me having to adjust my steering to stay in the lane. I felt a lot more "planted" during this turn vs no application of throttle. I don't claim that this AWD system is better than other systems (I've never driven my brother's EVO X to the limit). This is just my experience with SH-AWD and notice these observations are all based on "feeling".
Old 05-06-2011, 02:35 PM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by breftayka
Sorry for OT, but what was #1?
Scion was 1
Porsche 2
Acura 3
Honda 4
Old 05-06-2011, 02:38 PM
KLB

Volvo is owned by Ford.

Have you considered a Maxima?

Ford sold Volvo last year.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:46 PM
KLB

Haha thanks guy. I'll "accidentally" turn into a Volvo dealership so we can check it out. It's right next to the Lexus dealership we went to, so it should be easy

That picture still doesn't do much for me though. How are Volvo vehicles in general? Reliability? Particularly for the S60 model (old and new)?
CR has them #8 overall. The S60 is listed as new, so no ratings on this version. Must be the redesign after the Chinese took over.

They gave it a rating of 77/100, which is lower in the Compact Sports Sedan group. The C300, A4 and Saab are the only ones lower.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:48 PM
KLB

We've talked about the Hyundai. I think it's a great car but she doesn't, what can I do? We are very new to Volvo. The S60's styling doesn't look like a 40K car. Styling is subjective so what can I say? If she doesn't like it, then no deal.
What doesn't she like about the Hyundai?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:46 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as I know, the S60 is pretty much its own car; Ford didn't integrate too much into Volvo, and vice versa.

Since you are considering the FX, what are your thoughts on the Cayanne and MDX? What about the Infiniti M? Acura RL?
I see. I don't think Ford is that bad. I would rate Ford above GM, Chrysler, and German automakers. We'll give the S60 a shot.

We've looked at MDX. It's a great SUV with 3rd row seat. We think it looks too mainstream and not stand out from the crowd. Plus, it's due for a re-design pretty soon. We didn't test drive it though.

To me the RL is not worth the premium. Plus I think the TL looks even better than the current RL.

Infiniti M - Although we have not test driven the car, we've sat on it and really like the new interior. The seats are super comfortable and everything is perfect. It looks better in photos than in person though. Another thing is the car looks best with sport package and 20" wheels but I suspect the ride is going to suffer. But we'll test drive it nonetheless. Thanks for reminding me.

About the Cayenne - we have not thought about it. Can we get one relatively equipped for about 50K? I am sort of worried about owning a Porsche and its expensive repairs. Perhaps we are just not there yet. We can probably buy it but we may not be able to afford the "true cost to own". Plus owning a Porsche may give people the wrong impression.

What doesn't she like about the Hyundai?
Because it is still a Hyundai (her words). I know it's customers' perception and we can talk about this all day long, but at the end of the day, we don't feel like paying $40K for a Hyundai.

Wow can we please just get back to suggesting cars for hadokenuh? I really didn't to add my thoughts previously but I'll just share my experience. I don't know the technical aspects of AWD cornering, but from my experience of actually owning the TL SH-AWD for over a year I can only describe the "cornering" as being more "comfortable" when you apply the gas. Let me explain through a test I did. Going through a corner at a decent speed without applying gas, I felt the body roll and I had to turn the wheel more in order to stay in my lane (guessing this is understeer?). Going through the same corner at the same speed (but this time applying a little throttle as I entered the corner), it "felt" like car was literally pushing me into the direction I'm turning into smoothly without me having to adjust my steering to stay in the lane. I felt a lot more "planted" during this turn vs no application of throttle. I don't claim that this AWD system is better than other systems (I've never driven my brother's EVO X to the limit). This is just my experience with SH-AWD and notice these observations are all based on "feeling".
That is exactly my feeling with the TL SH-AWD. That is what I meant in my first and second posts. Thanks for elaborating it.

So... MSCA:
Too late...you already started the AWD discussion in your very first post:

Quote:
...but the TL is actually better in corners due to AWD...
Seriously man? You come here and talk about AWD and racing cr*p which no-one cares. All I was saying was I could tell the difference in corners with the AWD system which tharbemiko later explained it better. So chill out dude, you don't have to win everything.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
If you're looking at a Cayanne, it would be a used one. Porsche traditionally has been pretty damn reliable, but when something does go wrong, it's pricey.

Also, keep in mind the M hybrid is due next year, and it's getting some great reviews/previews.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:19 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the Volvo S80 platform underlies a lot of Ford models. IIRC, the Taurus, the Taurus X (gone), the Edge, the Flex and the new Explorer. So probably 30% of Ford's non F-150 volume is Volvo based.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
And the G is just a nissan...

A decade ago, Infiniti was a joke of a brand.
IMHO, a Bently is not a Volkswagen, an Infiniti is not a Nissan, but, a Hyundai is a Hyundai. I think they should have split to Hyundai / Genesis, maybe they will some day... until then...

Quick Reply: So we test drove a bunch of cars.