G37 Sedan

So we test drove a bunch of cars.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:32 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MOONLIGHT37
gas prices these days are to high for the infinitis, maybe you should check out a toyota pruis? 50+mpg 11 gallons of gas gets you far in life
Are you asking him to give up on life?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:46 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you really want to save gas, get a TDI Jetta. Similiar milage and a lot cheaper.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:49 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 05-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Dejan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Audi A6 with CVT and Tiptronic had zero lag...one thing I miss on my G
Old 05-06-2011, 01:08 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Where has this thread gone? lol!

Man, there are a lot of cars are not thinking about - the 2012 Hyundai Genesis has a huge v-8, something like 380 HP; it's third generation so they have worked out a lot of the bugs. The S60 is gorgeous car, and has great sporting abilities - Corolla forolla, what on earth the wife talking about?

The 5-series is BMW's MOST unreliable vehicle - check out true delta or CR.

The IS is a showboater with sporting pretenses - it doesn't really handle all that well, but the 350 goes fast in a straight line and they are pretty cars. Back seat is for tiny mythological creatures. Have to respect a manufacturer that builds for that demographic.

The ES is a NOT a grandpa car; no, it is a GRANDMA car. Have fun in that snooze mobile. Lexus makes cars for people who hate to drive, IMO. LFA notwithstanding. Or the other one.

TL is a great car, though, if you don't define yourself by having a stretch 370z, that is a great car to drive and own.

And I thought you where looking for a larger car? 40K huh? Let me think about it.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:18 AM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just looking at CRs reliability ratings by manufacturer. They have 27 listed, MB is 22, BMW 23, Dodge 24, Mini 25, Audi 26, and Chrysler brings up the rear at 27.

Infiniti is 5.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 AM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KLB
I was just looking at CRs reliability ratings by manufacturer. They have 27 listed, MB is 22, BMW 23, Dodge 24, Mini 25, Audi 26, and Chrysler brings up the rear at 27.

Infiniti is 5.
Sorry for OT, but what was #1?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:05 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goomba
No.. Cornering speed in my sti was slower than s2000. Sti awd and power is simply a bandaid for a car with a poor suspension setup and 60/40 weight distribution due to the awd system. If you have ever driven an s2000 and it sounds like you haven't, you would know that you don't need to be at redline just to enjoy the car. Just cause a car lacks power down low doesn't mean it isn't fun to drive unless all you care about is straight line acceleration.
Actually, I have driven the S2000. A good friend has owned one for years. The fact that it has poor torque down low means it has to be driven at much higher RPM (on the boil) to be any fun at all for me. Keep the RPMs way up and it's fine. Keep them low and it's like driving a turd. Sorry, that's not fun in my book.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:09 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by sniper27
i understand completely. it's hard to convince people that a 2.0 turbo engine is actually quick and fun. But I'm familiar with them, from my previous Audi A3 and the current A6 3.0T supercharged. Torque peaks at 2100 rpm.
Exactly. In my opinion, a car like the A4 2.0T is much more fun to drive than an S2000. Sure, the Honda is the faster car in all-out acceleration, but when driving on the roads I'd much prefer the high low-end torque of the Audi 2.0T. It's just so much more tractable without having to rev the **** out of the engine.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:58 AM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
Where has this thread gone? lol!

Man, there are a lot of cars are not thinking about - the 2012 Hyundai Genesis has a huge v-8, something like 380 HP; it's third generation so they have worked out a lot of the bugs. The S60 is gorgeous car, and has great sporting abilities - Corolla forolla, what on earth the wife talking about?

The 5-series is BMW's MOST unreliable vehicle - check out true delta or CR.

The IS is a showboater with sporting pretenses - it doesn't really handle all that well, but the 350 goes fast in a straight line and they are pretty cars. Back seat is for tiny mythological creatures. Have to respect a manufacturer that builds for that demographic.

The ES is a NOT a grandpa car; no, it is a GRANDMA car. Have fun in that snooze mobile. Lexus makes cars for people who hate to drive, IMO. LFA notwithstanding. Or the other one.

TL is a great car, though, if you don't define yourself by having a stretch 370z, that is a great car to drive and own.

And I thought you where looking for a larger car? 40K huh? Let me think about it.
We've talked about the Hyundai. I think it's a great car but she doesn't, what can I do? We are very new to Volvo. The S60's styling doesn't look like a 40K car. Styling is subjective so what can I say? If she doesn't like it, then no deal.

Not all people like "sporting" abilities, especially female drivers. She wants something that is nice with good power and somewhat sporty so she can some fun. The IS sales aren't bad at all - been better than the G until recently maybe - I am not exactly sure. So Lexus must be doing something right. And we are talking about the GS, not the ES, where have YOU gone? lol

I specifically said "40K, more or less", which means we can spend 50K (for FX, or GS350) if we need to. So what is your point?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Understandable if she doesn't like it, but may I suggest looking around at different pics of the S60 to be sure. I noticed the regular one isn't to appealing, but with certain packages (sport/aero?) it really makes the look more aggressive.

..I'm a fan of it. Looks, power, screens in the headrests, etc. BTW Volvo's niche is safety. They have typically been in the forefront of safety innovators in the auto world.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/all-cars...O-S60-4001.jpg

^not sure if that shot has what I am talking about, but a quick find that was a decent pic. ...I did the build your own on their website a while back. That's what I'm talking about. Quite a few visual enhancement options, among others.

Last edited by Ibanez540r; 05-06-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:20 PM
tharbemiko

Photos sometimes don't do the car justice. Maybe you should "accidentally" bring your wife to a volvo dealership and have her check out the S60 in person
Old 05-06-2011, 12:52 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by breftayka

Seems like you are just as guilty... JUST SAYING.

That guy was talking about coming out of a turn. Not going into or during a turn.
Thanks for the comprehensive multi-quote. Keep in mind that my posts were a response to Mike's assumptions about racing. Since HE mentioned racing, then I thought I'd mention that Audi's Quattro was banned from racing because of its inherent advantage over 2wd vehicles. So I don't really care about going into or coming out of a turn. In racing an "unfair" advantage is simply an unfair advantage. Of course I'm not complaining (look at my sig)...just sayin'....
Old 05-06-2011, 12:56 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haha thanks guy. I'll "accidentally" turn into a Volvo dealership so we can check it out. It's right next to the Lexus dealership we went to, so it should be easy

That picture still doesn't do much for me though. How are Volvo vehicles in general? Reliability? Particularly for the S60 model (old and new)?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Volvo is owned by Ford.

Have you considered a Maxima?

@ MSCA: I never brough up racing, you did. I just said AWD doesn't help turn the car.

Quick Reply: So we test drove a bunch of cars.