G37 Sedan

So we test drove a bunch of cars.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:20 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goomba
However, the Subaru awd allows me to power out of a corner much faster since all four wheels are putting power to the ground.

So go tell Mike that AWD does in fact help you on turns. Yes, even when you're racing...which wasn't the subject of the debate in the first place, but still proves my point, nonetheless.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 AM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
Mike obviously hasn't done any four wheel drifts in an AWD car.
It seems a lot of people here have a hard time wrapping their head around how an engine that makes a lot of torque down low in the powerband can be incredibly fun to drive. I had the same type of comments when I posted about how powerful the Audi A5 with the 2.0T engine feels when driving it. Like the S60, it makes peak torque at very low RPM and stays there midway through the powerband. I love engines like that, but probably because I grew up with 5.0L Mustangs, which were another car that had much more low end torque than horsepower. The polar opposite would be a car like the Honda S2000. It has very little low end power and must be wound out near redline to get any kind of driving satisfaction out of it. I'd never own one just because it lacks torque, low end or otherwise.
Owning an STi doesn't mean you've done four wheel drifts.

And anyways, you completely missed the point (once again). Yes grip is faster than drifting. On a long sweeping corner, I can get more grip while accelerating in an AWD vehicle than I can in a FWD vehicle, all else equal. That's an undeniable fact.

Remember when Audi's quattro was banned from sanctioned racing? Yeah, it was said to be a big, unfair advantage. LOL
Hahahahha....it's funny how you somehow always try to turn everything into a discussion about racing. Don't look now, but the OP was just talking about test driving various cars, including an AWD Acura. He's not talking about racing. Here's a newsflash for you: On the street, people accelerate through turns all the time.

Seems like you are just as guilty... JUST SAYING.

So go tell Mike that AWD does in fact help you on turns. Yes, even when you're racing...which wasn't the subject of the debate in the first place, but still proves my point, nonetheless.

That guy was talking about coming out of a turn. Not going into or during a turn.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
goomba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No.. Cornering speed in my sti was slower than s2000. Sti awd and power is simply a bandaid for a car with a poor suspension setup and 60/40 weight distribution due to the awd system. If you have ever driven an s2000 and it sounds like you haven't, you would know that you don't need to be at redline just to enjoy the car. Just cause a car lacks power down low doesn't mean it isn't fun to drive unless all you care about is straight line acceleration.

Last edited by goomba; 05-05-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
It seems a lot of people here have a hard time wrapping their head around how an engine that makes a lot of torque down low in the powerband can be incredibly fun to drive. I had the same type of comments when I posted about how powerful the Audi A5 with the 2.0T engine feels when driving it. Like the S60, it makes peak torque at very low RPM and stays there midway through the powerband. I love engines like that, but probably because I grew up with 5.0L Mustangs, which were another car that had much more low end torque than horsepower. The polar opposite would be a car like the Honda S2000. It has very little low end power and must be wound out near redline to get any kind of driving satisfaction out of it. I'd never own one just because it lacks torque, low end or otherwise.
i understand completely. it's hard to convince people that a 2.0 turbo engine is actually quick and fun. But I'm familiar with them, from my previous Audi A3 and the current A6 3.0T supercharged. Torque peaks at 2100 rpm.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:32 AM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dang, whenver MSCA shows up, any thread can become heated

Back to the topic, I showed my wife pictures of the Volvo and she thought it was ugly. Quote "Why are you showing a corolla, hon'?" I looked at the specs and they look interesting though!

Surprised, no one has mentioned anything about the BMW.

I told her folks here think the GS350 is old and not worth it. She kinds of agree and is thinking about the IS350 now haha. The IS350 inventory seems very low though, including used cars.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I told her folks here think the GS350 is old and not worth it. She kinds of agree and is thinking about the IS350 now haha. The IS350 inventory seems very low though, including used cars.
Lexus inventory is ultra low worldwide, it'll be tough to find one specced out the way you like it unless you get lucky. Japan

I take it the two of you already crossed Mercedes off of your list?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:01 PM
hadokenuh

Originally Posted by Mike
Lexus inventory is ultra low worldwide, it'll be tough to find one specced out the way you like it unless you get lucky. Japan

I take it the two of you already crossed Mercedes off of your list?
Yep, too bad for Japan. And we don't like MB.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:11 PM
tharbemiko

If you're going to test drive the IS350, I suggest you mess around with the paddle shifters. I test drove 3 IS350's a few months ago from the same dealership and every single one had a 1-2 second lag before it would actually shift when I hit the upshift paddle. Hopefully they fixed the issue ?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:51 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Dang, whenver MSCA shows up, any thread can become heated

Back to the topic, I showed my wife pictures of the Volvo and she thought it was ugly. Quote "Why are you showing a corolla, hon'?" I looked at the specs and they look interesting though!

Surprised, no one has mentioned anything about the BMW.

if roominess is one of the factors you're looking for, the IS350 is a fail. that thing is so small inside, you may as well get a G coupe.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:05 PM
hadokenuh

Originally Posted by sniper27
if roominess is one of the factors you're looking for, the IS350 is a fail. that thing is so small inside, you may as well get a G coupe.
Yeah we are well aware of that. That was one of the reasons I picked the G over the IS 2 years ago. I think the leg rooms go like 30" for the IS, 34" for the G, and 36" for the GS/TL.

If she goes that route, I get to buy something else to replace my G next year
Old 05-05-2011, 04:27 PM
hadokenuh

Originally Posted by tharbemiko
If you're going to test drive the IS350, I suggest you mess around with the paddle shifters. I test drove 3 IS350's a few months ago from the same dealership and every single one had a 1-2 second lag before it would actually shift when I hit the upshift paddle. Hopefully they fixed the issue ?
Thanks for the note. I expect all Lexus vehicles have lag of some kind, except for maybe the ISF/LFA. That's how they obtain their smoothness and what not. We have owned an RX300/330, ES300, SC430 and they all behave the same. So what you say doesn't surprise me at all.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 PM
sniper27

all paddle shifters, or any type of tiptronic or whatever they want to call them these days, will have lag. you have to get the true dual clutch system like DSG if you want instant, and smooth shifting.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:10 PM
tharbemiko

Originally Posted by sniper27
all paddle shifters, or any type of tiptronic or whatever they want to call them these days, will have lag. you have to get the true dual clutch system like DSG if you want instant, and smooth shifting.
True there is some lag, but none of the cars I've owned with paddles (G, TL, TSX) ever had a whole 2 second delay before shifting.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 PM
MOONLIGHT37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas prices these days are to high for the infinitis, maybe you should check out a toyota pruis? 50+mpg 11 gallons of gas gets you far in life

Quick Reply: So we test drove a bunch of cars.