G37 Sedan

So we test drove a bunch of cars.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:15 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
Did you consider the new Volvo S60 T6?, fully loaded - should be around $42-44K OTD...?
Seems to have good overall reviews; it's new so you need to be careful with the "quinks" in new Models, No matter who the Manufacturer. Or for that matter, if you don't mind FWD cars: a Fully loaded Maxima or the Caddy CTS ( the coupe is really Nice).
I am VERY new to Volvo. I have never owned a Volvo before and it never crosses my mind when I shop for cars Do you have any personal experience with it? Is it a luxury brand name or more like a premium brand like VW?

The new Maxima is ugly for my taste. Never a fan of Cadillac either
Old 05-04-2011, 05:29 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
My friend just traded in his Porsche Boxter S for the new Volvo S60 T6. He loves it so far...the torque (326 lb.ft.) i believe, peaks at 2200 rpm, so you get all that power pretty much throughout the power band.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:19 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 for the Volvo S60, you don't see them many of them on the road and Volvo now offers 4 years of free maintenance.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:47 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by madmax2k1
+1 for the Volvo S60, you don't see them many of them on the road and Volvo now offers 4 years of free maintenance.
Considering the cost of maintenance on the G, perhaps a Volvo is worth a look.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:14 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike
AWD doesn't help you turn. Only the front wheels do the turning regardless of drivetrain layout... (re: AWD on the TL)

Have you guys considered non-lux brands?
Mike obviously hasn't done any four wheel drifts in an AWD car.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
Mike obviously hasn't done any four wheel drifts in an AWD car.
06 sti buddy.

It still doesn't help you turn. Gripping is faster than drifting unless you're off road, and I'm sure the OP isn't buy a TL to off road. Of course if you're four wheel drifting, the SH-AWD is a detriment...
Old 05-04-2011, 10:21 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by sniper27
My friend just traded in his Porsche Boxter S for the new Volvo S60 T6. He loves it so far...the torque (326 lb.ft.) i believe, peaks at 2200 rpm, so you get all that power pretty much throughout the power band.

It seems a lot of people here have a hard time wrapping their head around how an engine that makes a lot of torque down low in the powerband can be incredibly fun to drive. I had the same type of comments when I posted about how powerful the Audi A5 with the 2.0T engine feels when driving it. Like the S60, it makes peak torque at very low RPM and stays there midway through the powerband. I love engines like that, but probably because I grew up with 5.0L Mustangs, which were another car that had much more low end torque than horsepower. The polar opposite would be a car like the Honda S2000. It has very little low end power and must be wound out near redline to get any kind of driving satisfaction out of it. I'd never own one just because it lacks torque, low end or otherwise.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:23 PM
MSCA
Banned

06 sti buddy.

It still doesn't help you turn. Gripping is faster than drifting unless you're off road, and I'm sure the OP isn't buy a TL to off road. Of course if you're four wheel drifting, the SH-AWD is a detriment...
Owning an STi doesn't mean you've done four wheel drifts.

And anyways, you completely missed the point (once again). Yes grip is faster than drifting. On a long sweeping corner, I can get more grip while accelerating in an AWD vehicle than I can in a FWD vehicle, all else equal. That's an undeniable fact.

Remember when Audi's quattro was banned from sanctioned racing? Yeah, it was said to be a big, unfair advantage. LOL
Old 05-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Mike

And anyways, you completely missed the point (once again). Yes grip is faster than drifting. On a long sweeping corner, I can get more grip while accelerating in an AWD vehicle than I can in a FWD vehicle, all else equal. That's an undeniable fact.
If you're accelerating through the turn in a FWD/AWD car, you entered the turn too slow. Is it easier to accelerate? Sure. Is AWD faster at the turn? Not at all. SH-AWD is there to mitigate a weakness, not to improve performance.

Simply put, AWD doesn't help turn the car. Otherwise, the GT-R, EVO, STI, and every other performance AWD car wouldn't suffer from catastrophic understeer on a skidpad or track.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:28 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
And the G is just a nissan...

A decade ago, Infiniti was a joke of a brand.
Yea but nissan wasnt!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
Yea but nissan wasnt!
Totally agree... 240Z!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:59 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I want more fireworks. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
Old 05-05-2011, 01:59 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
correct me if Im wrong but I believe hyundai equus is a 4 doors 4 seater... it's a gorgeous car nevertheless
Old 05-05-2011, 07:44 AM
goomba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've tracked both my Honda s2000 and my 2008 sti consistently. Let me tell you corner entry speeds are much higher in the s2k compared to the sti. However, the Subaru awd allows me to power out of a corner much faster since all four wheels are putting power to the ground. However, what kills the fun in the sti is he nasty mid corner understeer which is due to the poor weight distribution of the car.

Remember when Audi's quattro was banned from sanctioned racing? Yeah, it was said to be a big, unfair advantage. LOL
Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 AM
MSCA
Banned

If you're accelerating through the turn in a FWD/AWD car, you entered the turn too slow.
Hahahahha....it's funny how you somehow always try to turn everything into a discussion about racing. Don't look now, but the OP was just talking about test driving various cars, including an AWD Acura. He's not talking about racing. Here's a newsflash for you: On the street, people accelerate through turns all the time.

Quick Reply: So we test drove a bunch of cars.