G37 Sedan

1 yr old on Sunday!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:49 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1 yr old on Sunday!

My G will be 1 on Sunday! Just turned over 15k miles.

Have never been to the dealer for any service as I have been doing my own oil changes. From what I gather in the manual, the 15k service isn't really necessary. Thoughts?

I do need to call a dealer about some warranty issues. I have the 6MT and there is some rattle coming from somewhere underneath when engaging the clutch in 1st gear (doesn't sound like a heat shield). There are also some other minor creaks and rattles coming from all around it sounds. 1 annoying tinny sounding one from what sounds like in the steering wheel/column area.

Worst of all, my driver's door is no longer closing smoothly. Seems to have dropped a hair and now scrapes against the latch when closing. If I lift up on the handle, it remedies the problem. Anybody had this problem?

I also just saw somebody's post about a bluetooth TSB and call-waiting fix. I think I need that.

I hate going to the dealer.

Also, any recommendations on new summer tires? I think I only put about 9k miles on the OEM ones, and they are already done for. Thinking Bridgestone RE760's or 960's. (I had Michelin X-ice's on in the winter.) Suggestions?

Other than those minor issues, car has been great,and I love it. Helluva lotta fun to drive over the appalachian gap on rt 17 in VT!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually, I love going to the dealer... seems like when I leave with a better car and my wallet is just as fat when I walked in, I'm happy!

The 15K service is nothing worry about. I would change the cabin filter, though. Time to go in and get 'er fixed! (for free)
Old 04-28-2011, 01:22 AM
owslystnly

yea from what i read 15k service (and pretty much all services up to 100k) is oil+cabin filter change.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:01 AM
1BadAssG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy early one year birthday G. No need for anything special. Just oil and filters would do her good.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
happy bday!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:14 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
i enjoy the dealer and seeing i have the service plan they always take care of me when i go there..
Old 04-28-2011, 03:54 PM
mswistak14

you should buy her a new pair of shoes (wheels) for her birthday! Don't all women love new shoes???
Old 04-28-2011, 04:41 PM
owslystnly

you should buy her a new pair of shoes (wheels) for her birthday!
I NEED to buy new tires. I think the 0 in the 050 for the OEM tires stands for 0 tread life......
Old 04-28-2011, 11:05 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had mine for a bit over a year. I just have 10,500 on mine. No problems so far.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:54 AM
owslystnly

I should update this by saying I got some michellin pilot super sports for $818 a few weeks ago from tirerack, waiting for a $70 rebate card to arrive.

and the dealer fixed the drivers side door that had been closing funny by making an adjustment to the hinge(s) (covered under warranty).

Still loving the car, although I must admit the clutch is still a bitch. I drove a manual civic for 10 years, and it was more pleasurable clutching in NYC and Montreal than the G. However, I cannot state how much more comfortable and fun to drive the G is. Now about the gas mileage................

Hard to compare to the civic. Been getting 27-29mpg highway driving only. 26-27mpg in mixed but mostly highway driving. 18-22mpg mixed (mostly city) but depends what routes I take. I have also found the trip computer to be spot on with what i calculate at the pump/odo. Gone are the civic HX 43mpg city, 55mpg+ on the highway.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:04 AM
JJsBusaRox

I would hate going to the dealer if my car was out of warranty. But since your car still has it, why would you not like going there? Get all that stuff fixed and documented. This way if it is an on going problem, they may even fix it after the warranty is over!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:56 AM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My dealer is nice also...they wash my car when they change the oil.... and then charge me an arm and a leg for the service. My 7,500 mile check up and oil change (with standard mineral oil) was $122. That's crazy. At 15,000 miles I can change the cabin air filter myself, a competent oil change facility can handle the rest since the only thing involved is an "inspection" of everything.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The first 2 oil changes and one tire rotation was free at the dealer.
I just did my own oil change at 14,600 miles. I have a tire thread depth gauge and the front and rear tires are wearing even so I didn't bother doing another tire rotation.
I had a pair of ramps already made up from (3) 2x8s stair stepped together and attached with screws. This gave me enough room to slide under the car from the front (couldn't get under from either side) and change the oil and filter. The only problem with going under from the front is the fold down flap is somewhat in the way.
The engine air filters were still in great shape.
I put almost all my miles on during long trips on the interstate, so I probably have less then 1/2 the hours on the cabin filter then the average owner, with the same miles on the engine, so I don't intend to change my cabin filter until at least 30,000 miles.
The only reason I would go back to the dealer for any of my vehicles is free maintenance and/or warranty work.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 AM
G37CPA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by owslystnly
Also, any recommendations on new summer tires? I think I only put about 9k miles on the OEM ones, and they are already done for. Thinking Bridgestone RE760's or 960's. (I had Michelin X-ice's on in the winter.) Suggestions?

Other than those minor issues, car has been great,and I love it. Helluva lotta fun to drive over the appalachian gap on rt 17 in VT!

What?? You went thru a set of tires in 1 year/9,000 miles? What kind of driving/hotrodding are you doing anyway?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:20 AM
owslystnly

You went thru a set of tires in 1 year/9,000 miles? What kind of driving/hotrodding are you doing anyway?
the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's don't last very long. If you poke around I think you'll see a lot of people wearing them out in a year.

Quick Reply: 1 yr old on Sunday!