G37 Sedan

2011 G37x quiet exhaust otpions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:18 PM
tt6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I REALLY wish the Tanabe didn't have that dinky looking pipe coming off the exhaust...

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
I wish the Tanabe had removable tips.

I don't want to say that price isn't a factor, but unless it's absurdly overpriced, it's not a factor in my decision. The look and sound are the main factors for me. Having to go out and have pipes modified to fit is not something I'm interested in doing. If that were my only option to have an exhaust, I would just stay with the OEM exhaust.

Originally Posted by devil2k
Just looked up the price, $1375 for a mid-pipe back
Might be better off getting an Invidia & mod the y-pipe?

Are you recommending the Tanabe because of the price or is there something about the Greddy that you don't care for? In all the posts and reviews about the Greddy, which there aren't that many to begin with anyways, no one has described it as loud, obnoxious, raspy, or an exhaust that drones.

Originally Posted by qpham45
I haven't heard the Greddy for the new g but a friend of mine did have a greddy axle back for his first gen g35 coupe and it sounded really nice. It was surprisingly quiet and barely any drone in the cabin. Tanabe sounds very nice as well not as quiet as invidia but a lot more quiet then then stillen, fast intentions, and ark. But one problem is that its only a axle back. If you don't really care for performance gain and just want a nice throaty sound, I would recommend the tanabe. And its the cheapest out of all of the systems.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh it's not a thing that would make me think 'oh jeez that sucks' everytime I see it, just wish it was a bit smaller.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:23 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
tt6, it sounds like you are in the same boat as me. You wanted something not too loud, and it doesn't look too "aftermarket".

I didn't go after Greddy and ARK because of the large and burned tips. Tanabe has fairly large tips as well. So that's off my list too.

For me it's either Invidia and FI. The size of the tips are perfect. They are about the same size as the coupe OEM tips. I am not sure if Invidia will fit the G37x, but FI makes one for the AWD G37.

I just plastidip'd the cans on my FI exhaust this weekend. Most people can't even tell it's an aftermarket exhaust. Of course once I step on the gas it's a different story.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:23 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tt6
I don't want to say that price isn't a factor, but unless it's absurdly overpriced, it's not a factor in my decision. The look and sound are the main factors for me. Having to go out and have pipes modified to fit is not something I'm interested in doing. If that were my only option to have an exhaust, I would just stay with the OEM exhaust.
I'm sure price isn't a big factor, I'm just saying that Invidia is a CBE, and therefore might be a better deal. With that said, you got me all interested in the Greddy system lol.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:06 PM
tt6

Oh, you don't like the size of the tips? I HATE the size of the pipes leading up to the tips...it really looks out of place to me, but that's just my personal opinion and appearance preference. Now if those pipes were a bit larger so the size was closer to the diameter of the tip, they'd already be on my car.

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
Oh it's not a thing that would make me think 'oh jeez that sucks' everytime I see it, just wish it was a bit smaller.

How do you like your FI exhaust? What did you have before that you can compare it to? Some posts say that it is "annoyingly loud" which instantly removed them from my list. Something about the rounded edges of the canister throws me off about them, but now we're just splitting hairs and getting into personal preferences. Remember, my priorities are looks and sound, what looks great to me may be fugly to others, and I can accept that!

Originally Posted by antirice
tt6, it sounds like you are in the same boat as me. You wanted something not too loud, and it doesn't look too "aftermarket".

I didn't go after Greddy and ARK because of the large and burned tips. Tanabe has fairly large tips as well. So that's off my list too.

For me it's either Invidia and FI. The size of the tips are perfect. They are about the same size as the coupe OEM tips. I am not sure if Invidia will fit the G37x, but FI makes one for the AWD G37.

I just plastidip'd the cans on my FI exhaust this weekend. Most people can't even tell it's an aftermarket exhaust. Of course once I step on the gas it's a different story.

The Invidia doesn't fit the X without pipe modifications, so it's instantly off my list. I've gone through alot of aftermarket parts on my other car, HKS and Greddy are at the top of the list when it comes to the quality and craftsmanship of their products. I'm actually surprised that more people here don't have the Greddy exhaust, I'm guessing either the price point or the blue tips must be turning people off.

I think you should hurry up and get the Greddy and let me know how you like it!

I'm sure price isn't a big factor, I'm just saying that Invidia is a CBE, and therefore might be a better deal. With that said, you got me all interested in the Greddy system lol.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:11 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tt6
I think you should hurry up and get the Greddy and let me know how you like it!
I'm waiting for your review :P
Old 05-14-2011, 03:52 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

so...did Greddy SE fit the X?
Old 05-15-2011, 07:15 AM
tt6

I would like to confirm fitment on the X as well before I purchase it.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 AM
buckets

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
so...did Greddy SE fit the X?
<br />
<br />
I know this is an old thread but if anyone knows the answer to this question, I'd really love to know.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 AM
timmy0257

Originally Posted by tt6
What is the quietest aftermarket exhaust option? Just a bit louder than stock would be ideal for me, so that's what I'm looking for.

From what I've found, the only options for an awd are:
Tanabe axle-back.
Stillen cat-back.
Invidia cat-back.
Anything else?

Can anyone who has heard these personally rank them by sound levels? Youtube vids aren't consistent enough.

Thanks.
are you looking for performance or sound?

if you want performance, i would do HFC. preferably Berks. test pipes would provide a bit more, but you will probably get tired of the smell. the sound will get a bit raspier with the cats, but not a whole lot. if you want just exhaust, i would do tanabe.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 PM
tt6

I still haven't picked up an exhaust yet. I've been traveling quite a bit for work so I've been out of town most of the summer... I just did my first oil change this past weekend at 1000 miles and I've owned the car for 4 months now...

I haven't ruled out the Greddy but I'm leaning towards the Tanabe based on this post:
Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
6/19/2011 - .... I can barely tell it’s there at start up, idle or highway cruising.
That's exactly what I'm looking for in an exhaust.

I have a couple more months of traveling ahead of me so I still have some time to decide which exhaust to go for.

If anyone else has any updates or suggestions, post it up!
Old 07-23-2011, 05:50 AM
nlavi8

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
You sound just like me about a year ago. I think I posted the same thread . I went with Tanabe mufflers. They are not loud at all. With the windows closed, you barely notice them. With the windows open they sound best from 3000-5000 rpms. Very mild exhaust. They just enhance the signature VQ sound a bit more than stock. Full exhaust is a waste of money unless you plan on forced induction down the road. The install on the Tanabe is 30-45 min. job.
How much are the Tanabe mufflers?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:52 AM
pg37

why couldn't I have found this thread before I dropped $1200 on the stillen CBE? Everyone said no drone on every sedan thread I looked up. What nobody told me is that there's no drone above 3k rpm and if you have a 6MT. With a 7AT and it keeping the rpms low all the time the engine is often under a load while driving in that 1500-2500 rpm range, and even Stillen admitted to me (after I bought the exhaust of course) that there's drone in that range under load. Their suggestion... "just use manual mode and shift out of that range." basically like Steve Jobs telling customers...your holding it wrong. When I called to order it they told me absolutely no drone, and that's what most people talked about on the forums. Some people said it was a bit loud when they floored it, but I don't mind that sound at all, it's the constant droning driving around town, going up hills, taking off from a stop light. Unless I floor it everywhere I'm basically in a boomy drone box the whole time. I'm pretty pissed actually.

Maybe I can trade someone for their Invidia exhaust.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 PM
alanz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the point of getting a quite aftermarket exhaust?

I have stillen CBE mainly because I want to have a better, sportier and louder sound, although it's not perfect but I don't hate it. Until I can find something with better sound(hear and compare the sounds in person) I won't replace my stillen CBE.