Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
[quote=roots4x;3118070][quote=blnewt;3117976]
Originally Posted by financeman
If its a lease, don't worry about it.

Well what's he going to do? I'm sure he'll still get it taken care of. It's not like it was his fault or anything. The poster was just saying that this is a shrug situation if it's a lease.
I probably misinterpreted his intentions, if so sorry It justs gets me a bit bothered when people say screw-it it's a lease, or I got a loaner than I can trash. Oh well I'll get off my soap box now
Hope your car's OK OP, even if it's a lease
Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Try asking for lifetime oil changes in exchange for not posting their dealership name on this forum...
Old 04-22-2011, 11:47 PM
spect2k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can only imagine how frustrated and angry I'd be, but once they've run all of the testing that they're going to do, if nothing turns up bad (let's hope!) then there is little that you can do. They may choose to throw you some free oil changes or something similar to extend a hand and try to keep you as a customer, but there is little that you can argue for. Depending on how angry you are, you can always file a complaint with Infiniti Consumer Affairs. You know your dealer better than any of us - I'd hope it was a major fluke once-in-a-lifetime kind of mistake. In any case, let us know what happens!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:33 AM
llee916

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses. They were really helpful. Just to clarify, the oil had already been leaking overnight before I drove it for 12 miles. I wasn’t driving slowly either. The oil was leaking while I was driving my vehicle.

Per the Infiniti dealer, the copper gasket on the drain plug was not left loose, but was over tightened and this somehow caused the washer to blow out, thus causing the oil leak. Is this even possible?

The Infiniti dealer said that they would perform engine compression tests. Is this enough?

I requested an oil analysis from the owner, but he tried to convince me that it was unnecessary. Is one necessary?

If I want to perform more independent tests, what would they be?

Also, per the service manager, my engine had 2.5 quarts out of its 5 &1/8 quart capacity, less than half of what it should be. Is this good or bad? No low oil pressure or engine light ever came on though, luckily.

I am seriously worried about current and future engine problems, plus the now stained vehicle history records.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Riley
Registered Member

sounds like the washer wasn't there but the plug was.
I'm not sure how they think it blew out as opposed to never replaced (left missing). Anyway I guess that doesn't matter.

I have no idea if the engine would be ok or not. Good thing the light never came on.

I don't think doing an oil analysis no would help but perhaps. Maybe better to do after running for another 3K on the new oil to see what it's picking up in terms of metal wear.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:15 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you didn't revvv the engine much, you're likely okay. These engines are designed to protect themsleves, unless you hit high rpm on no or crappy oil, you're probably okay.

What I would tell them, I know how these things go, you will be in there talking with them and all... just ask them to 1) give you 2-3 (life?) free oil changes, and 2) make note on your service record (and print it out to prove it) that this occurred, and if you have any oil related problems in the future, they owe you.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:16 AM
Riley
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
If you didn't revvv the engine much, you're likely okay. These engines are designed to protect themsleves, unless you hit high rpm on no or crappy oil, you're probably okay.

What I would tell them, I know how these things go, you will be in there talking with them and all... just ask them to 1) give you 2-3 (life?) free oil changes, and 2) make note on your service record (and print it out to prove it) that this occurred, and if you have any oil related problems in the future, they owe you.
good advice.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:06 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're copper crush washers. It's possible the tech was lazy and just reused it, that may have caused the failure.

If the oil light didn't come on you'll be OK.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:20 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Over-tightening a crush washer which caused it to blow out? Sounds like a cover-up

Any competent mechanic that works on Nissan / Infiniti should know they're not reusable if one was actually even used.

Have them run a compression and leak down test along with given you the results.

Last edited by Staples; 04-23-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:27 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

If it was tightened so tight the washer blew out the threads on the pan would be severely stressed I'd imagine. I think I'd be asking for a new oil pan (then see if they stand behind their over-tightened washer story )
Old 04-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Skeetslarue

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would ask them to prove your oil pan is not damaged. Aside from the compression tests, which are pointless IMO, ask that they perform and pay for oil analysis for the next 4-6 oil changes. The oil changes need to be free as well. Shoot for an extended warranty. Be sure that the extended warranty is transferrable so you will be able to resell this car. When they balk, and they will, ask the service manager to guarantee in writing that your engine will not have an oil related issue in the future. Be sure to hold this conversation on the showroom floor where new prospective customers can hear you!!! Be ready to be impolite, but not personally abusive or profane. Be sure to go over their heads BEFORE you talk with them again. Call Infiniti directly and see if they can apply some muscle for you ahead of time.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:14 PM
pride

Oil analysis would be most helpful if you can get some of the current oil left in the engine. Metal content of the current oil would be the best indicator of possible damage since the damage would have occurred while that oil was in the engine. If not available, then subsequent analyses for the next couple oil changes would be helpful - to see if the metal content decreases - indicating that some excessive wear happened and the metal content is being "flushed out" and diluted from the residual oil left over between the changes.

I would think that a compression check would reflect if damage occurred - but probably not until a fair amount of damage had happened.

Keep an eye on the oil consumption for the next few thousand miles. If you know what the consumption was like before all this happened, then this could either set your mind at ease or be an additional indicator of engine damage to rings or guides.

Even considering all the above, good luck on any "demands" . Only thing dealers and auto companies care about is business - either keeping yours or maximizing profits - whatever they see as best for them. Requesting an extention of the engine warranty seems reasonable, tho, and something I'd try to get. Good luck to you.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:53 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=blnewt;3117976][quote=financeman;3117902]If its a lease, don't worry about it.

Never ceases to amaze me how some people regard leased vehicles, good thing you've never bought a used vehicle (which could have been a lease)eh?? I treat all my vehicles (and I've leased a few) like I own them. Maybe that's not what you were getting at but it irratates me when people regard leases as just throw-aways with no regard to future owners or the overall condition that the cars' mechanicals are in.
Your conclusion about my statement is not correct. I'm not saying someone with lease should not care for them...I have a lease and care for the car like I plan to own it forever. However, unless the OP plans to buyout the lease, the car will be under warranty for the next few years...and resale is also not a concern with a lease. Stated another way...Infiniti owns the risk if its a lease.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:10 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I have never leased, and I usually keep cars for at least a few years after they're paid for. That said, I take meticulous care of my vehicles. So much so that my wife doesn't like to drive my car because she says I am too strict (yeah, the woman who spilled coffee in my old truck).

Now... I'm not saying it is right, but expect leased vehicles to get the minimum required and expect them to be driven hard. If you know you'll be giving it back in 36 months, why spend a ton of YOUR cash on the DEALER'S car? It's not your car. It is also not your responsibility to pass along a pristine car to the next buyer. That burden is on the dealer who sells it. The customer who buys a lease should know to inspect it very well.

Just my $.02

My '04 G35 had 80k miles on it when I traded it in and it still looked new, inside and out.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

[quote=financeman;3118649][quote=blnewt;3117976]
Originally Posted by financeman
If its a lease, don't worry about it.

Your conclusion about my statement is not correct. I'm not saying someone with lease should not care for them...I have a lease and care for the car like I plan to own it forever. However, unless the OP plans to buyout the lease, the car will be under warranty for the next few years...and resale is also not a concern with a lease. Stated another way...Infiniti owns the risk if its a lease.
Sorry for the wrong interpretation, agree w/ everything above

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Oil Drain Plug Fell Off While Driving After Infiniti Oil Change