G37 Sedan

Buying a used '10 G37x??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 PM
TheGuac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a used '10 G37x??

Hey guys,

So I've been car-shopping for the past month, originally leaning towards SUVs until about a week ago when I decided I hate the size of CUVs and wanted a sedan. I am moving to Seattle and then to Chicago and AWD is a requirement. ANYWAY, I have narrowed down my choices to used G37x, BMW 328xi, and still possibly the Rav4.

When I test drove the G37 I absolutely loved it, but the transmission problems are scaring me away and making me lean towards the BMW or Toyota. I found a slightly used (21k miles), fully loaded 2010 G37x in Chicago (about 430 miles away) that is going at a good price and I'm really tempted to ****** it up. HOWEVER, like I said earlier, I don't want to get stuck with a car that can't find the right gears and is dangerous to drive on the freeway! I do like the power and the cabin technology of the Infiniti but since I will be keeping this car for at least 4-5 years, I also don't want something that is frustrating and annoying to drive.

Would you guys recommend against this car? I do know that this is a biased forum but from what I gathered in the 36-long page thread about the transmission issues, people do have issues and negative thoughts about their cars. Would you buy this car again? Do you think the transmission problems are that bad?

By the way, I'm coming from an automatic Mazda Miata that I constantly used the steptronic transmission in, so I'm familiar with the jerks when you don't switch gears at the right time. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2011, 01:40 PM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow you make it sounds like the g37 is some over price piece of junk with a lawn motor for an engine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the transmission on this car. Since you want an AWD you will be driving an automatic, you think in the year 2010 the japanese has yet to perfect an engine that can't catch gears? Are you for real with your questions? Go with the bmw. that 2010 g37 doesn't want you as an owner.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Warp37

^How abusive and idiotic. Doesn't even make sense. The poster didn't say ANYTHING about the engine. He ASKED about the tranny, given the lengthy thread with complaints about it.

And BTW, it's WHOSE. WHOSE name shall not be spoken.

TheGuac, I've never had any serious issues with my tranny. It sometimes seems to be in too high a gear and is slow to downshift, but nothing that makes driving dangerous.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:49 PM
TheGuac

Originally Posted by NonAme
Wow you make it sounds like the g37 is some over price piece of junk with a lawn motor for an engine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the transmission on this car. Since you want an AWD you will be driving an automatic, you think in the year 2010 the japanese has yet to perfect an engine that can't catch gears? Are you for real with your questions? Go with the bmw. that 2010 g37 doesn't want you as an owner.
Wow, someone got off the wrong side of the bed this morning. I never even insulted the car and in fact praised it as the best one; however, that long thread regarding transmission issues is scary and I should understandably be worried about it before such a large purchase. I just wanted opinions from owners to quell my anxiety.

You really need to understand and comprehend the tone behind these posts before posting--otherwise, it makes you sound, well, dumb.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:57 PM
slickrick

Originally Posted by TheGuac
Wow, someone got off the wrong side of the bed this morning. I never even insulted the car and in fact praised it as the best one; however, that long thread regarding transmission issues is scary and I should understandably be worried about it before such a large purchase. I just wanted opinions from owners to quell my anxiety.

You really need to understand and comprehend the tone behind these posts before posting--otherwise, it makes you sound, well, dumb.
the car is a blast...ask to take it for a night and really drive it to see how you like it.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 PM
009g4me

Originally Posted by TheGuac
Hey guys,

So I've been car-shopping for the past month, originally leaning towards SUVs until about a week ago when I decided I hate the size of CUVs and wanted a sedan. I am moving to Seattle and then to Chicago and AWD is a requirement. ANYWAY, I have narrowed down my choices to used G37x, BMW 328xi, and still possibly the Rav4.

When I test drove the G37 I absolutely loved it, but the transmission problems are scaring me away and making me lean towards the BMW or Toyota. I found a slightly used (21k miles), fully loaded 2010 G37x in Chicago (about 430 miles away) that is going at a good price and I'm really tempted to ****** it up. HOWEVER, like I said earlier, I don't want to get stuck with a car that can't find the right gears and is dangerous to drive on the freeway! I do like the power and the cabin technology of the Infiniti but since I will be keeping this car for at least 4-5 years, I also don't want something that is frustrating and annoying to drive.

Would you guys recommend against this car? I do know that this is a biased forum but from what I gathered in the 36-long page thread about the transmission issues, people do have issues and negative thoughts about their cars. Would you buy this car again? Do you think the transmission problems are that bad?

By the way, I'm coming from an automatic Mazda Miata that I constantly used the steptronic transmission in, so I'm familiar with the jerks when you don't switch gears at the right time. Thanks!
Get the G...go loaded and you wont be disappointed. By far the most features for the price. I also looked at the BMW, essentially was a little smaller and preferred the G's interior and tech features. Infiniti has one of the best warranties out there, too.

Like Slickrick said before me, take her out for a ride at night and it'll be an easy decision.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:19 PM
platinumg35x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a g35x, so i don't have the 7 speed gearbox people complain about. However, i've driven a loaner and actually liked it better than my 5 speed tranny. The two extra gears really help above 80 mph. I think the gear-hunting issues people complain about are a bit over-reacted. Plus, the g gives you close to about 100 more horses than the 328xi, so it's a no-brainer to me. if you were debating between the g37x and the 335, then it would be a different story.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NonAme

couldn't have said it better. Just wow.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:42 PM
TheGuac

Yeah I actually didn't notice any transmission issues with the car I test drove here. When I was merging into traffic on the freeway, it did downshift randomly and shoot into traffic but I thought that was normal with the amount of horsepower it has.

The one I'm looking at has nav and premium packages, so it's pretty loaded. Unfortunately, it is so far away so I have to definitely be set on it before I make the drive out there. Otherwise, I'll be driving close to 1000 miles for a test drive. I'm going to ask the dealership to test drive it for me tomorrow and let me know if they notice anything abnormal or unusual. Thanks!!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:53 PM
slickrick

Perhaps ask a forum member who is local to the car to check it out for you.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 PM
wickedwyrm

Go with the G. The trans shifts hard if you drive it hard. If you drive it nice after a while it will start to shift nice. The trans learns the way you drive. You will be happy with the purchase.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 AM
TheGuac

Originally Posted by wickedwyrm
Go with the G. The trans shifts hard if you drive it hard. If you drive it nice after a while it will start to shift nice. The trans learns the way you drive. You will be happy with the purchase.
Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards it. Do you guys know how the G37x handles in snow? I've heard reports that it's good with snow tires but what about with all-seasons? Also, how much stuff can you carry in the car? Since I'll be moving to Seattle and then to Chicago, it would be nice to be able to carry some stuff in my car when I drive there, although the majority of the big things (couch, bed) will be shipped via truck. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:32 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
to offer you an alternative: check out Acura's SH-AWD. the TL isn't the most appealing to most, but in WDP with a the A-Spec wheels and "A-Spec" wheel/tire combo, you can't go wrong. you'll feel like you're sitting behind the controls of a space ship at night! if you're looking for reliability...you'll be able to drive that thing into the ground.

the G37X's nice too! the transmission really isn't a problem...-__- it's rather overplayed on the forum (for obvious reasons). gl!

i'm in seattle by the way! pm me if you need references, etc.! i also have a few connections, if you will, to the local infiniti dealer and acura dealer!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:55 AM
TheGuac

Originally Posted by eksigned
to offer you an alternative: check out Acura's SH-AWD. the TL isn't the most appealing to most, but in WDP with a the A-Spec wheels and "A-Spec" wheel/tire combo, you can't go wrong. you'll feel like you're sitting behind the controls of a space ship at night! if you're looking for reliability...you'll be able to drive that thing into the ground.

the G37X's nice too! the transmission really isn't a problem...-__- it's rather overplayed on the forum (for obvious reasons). gl!

i'm in seattle by the way! pm me if you need references, etc.! i also have a few connections, if you will, to the local infiniti dealer and acura dealer!
I looked at the Acura TL but the exterior styling is not my cup of tea. The 2012 design looks hot though! I'm trying to find used though so I don't get hit by the depreciation once I drive it off the lot and since I'll be abusing this car like none other on my long cross-country roadtrips and city driving.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Make sure that G37X wasn't a rental car... seems about rental car miles.

Quick Reply: Buying a used '10 G37x??