G37 Sedan

rear wheel drive...moved to philly...worried about snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:37 PM
JMacsG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have had my g with summer wheels on during summers driving around NE ohio I was fine. Just gotta be more careful but i've been driving in snow for as long as i've been driving. Or just buy a beater so you don't have to worry about the G. With no snow experience i'd say get used to it with a beater
Old 03-25-2011, 01:38 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't buy all-season tires for snow use unless you have no room to store an extra set of tires all year round. The much better braking performance alone make them the best solution for the snow.

All tires are considered a compromise, some work better in the dry, others in rain, other performed at their best in temperatures below 32 degrees where you will encountered snow and ice. Some tires perform better in the dry and wear faster, other grip less, but last a long time. No tires does it all well. There is always a little bit of tradeoff.
All-Season vs. Winter / Snow Tires
Old 03-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JMacsG37
i have had my g with summer wheels on during summers driving around NE ohio I was fine. Just gotta be more careful but i've been driving in snow for as long as i've been driving. Or just buy a beater so you don't have to worry about the G. With no snow experience i'd say get used to it with a beater
Really? You were fine driving on summer tires in the summer? Wow. Glad you mentioned it...
Old 03-25-2011, 06:41 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well hopefully he was not using his summer tires in the winter. The compound in summer tires is soft and below 32 degrees they freeze. It's like driving in the snow and ice with 4 bowling ***** in each corner.

Last edited by gugarci; 03-26-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added, not, Duh!!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Deemancpa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in Va Yoko All Seasons and 200 pounds of sand in the trunk, never had a problem...course I don't drive in more than 3-4 in of snow on the ground. Be smart in the winter!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 PM
SabresFan

I am in Lancaster, about 1.5 hours west of Philly. I put Michelin X-Ices on my 6MT and had no problems this winter - although Philly got hammered with snow a lot worse than we did. But, I never slid once. I would get a set of winter tires / wheels, put them on in mid-December and at the first decent snowfall get yourself to a vacant mall parking lot and get used to the snow. If you are willing to invest in the package, and spend an hour or so twice a year switching them out, there's no reason you need to get rid of the G.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 AM
roots4x

Born and raised in Chicago. If you get snow tires your car will handle better than any fwd or AWD car with all season tires in the snow. If you have all summer tires you HAVE to get winter tires for winter. If you have all seasons and are not used to driving in snow, it might still be a good idea. I've driven plenty of powerful RWD cars in the snow without traction control or stability systems and it's doable with all seasons. You really just have to realize what inclement weather will do to tour car.