G37 Sedan

Is the G37x worth the price difference over an Acura TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Kugs10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the G37x worth the price difference over an Acura TSX?

So after a long few weeks of test driving and research, I've narrowed my choices down to either a 2011 Acura TSX, I4 + Automatic + Tech or a Infiniti G37x + Sport package + premium + nav. I decided the V6 TSX was not a good value.

Basically they are equipped the same in terms of comfort/convenience, and in fact I think the TSX has the edge in that category with a more refined audio system and technology package overall.

The major differences are obviously the engine: 200hp I4 VTEC vs. 300hp V6, and the FWD vs. AWD, and the side effects of that: milage, winter performance, etc. The G37 also has a 7 spd transmission, which is nice, though I'm told people feel that it has trouble finding the right gear (?)

The price difference is $9,000, and both companies are offering aggressive financing and leasing options right now, so the difference remains $9,000 no matter how you look at it. Resale is slightly better over time for the TSX, so most of the $9,000 extra is not recouped at the time of sale from the G37.

So my only real reservation is whether the G37 is worth $9,000 more (plus approximately $700/year in gas due to worse milage). I can afford it, but I don't like to blow money on things that aren't worth it!

When I drove both of them the G37 is clearly more powerful...no question. However, I noticed that in my mid-sized city driving that I was not able to take advantage of that power very often, as I was at maximum traffic speed within a few seconds, and it felt as though the engine was begging to be let loose. In contrast, though the TSX is clearly less powerful, I felt that I could really run the engine and tranny through its paces in normal day-to-day driving. So I'm wondering if in the long term whether the TSX may actually be more "fun" for my daily driving? Am I completely off base here?

Anyone in the forum have any experience with a TSX or similar car, and if so, how does your G37 compare?

Do you find yourself "using" the 300hp very often?

I understand this is a personal decision, but I thought I'd throw it out there for some opinions!

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:53 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
r u being serious?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Two very different cars. What are you looking for in a car? AWD V6 vs a FWD I4

Is it worth the price difference, yes.

Do you value fuel economy? Get the TSX
Old 03-20-2011, 06:22 PM
slickrick

Why not buy a CPO g37 for the price of a new TSX?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
My sister got a V6 TSX about 2 weeks after I got my G37xS. I havent gotten a chance to check her car out yet, but I always thought the TSX and G werent similar models.

I havent checked the numbers to verify, but I would think the G is more along the lines of the TL. Space wise, power wise, luxury wise. The M is more like the RL, but I guess there is nothing in Infinitis line that competes directly with the TSX (unless the TSX is larger than I think, but I doubt it otherwise it would be the TL)
Old 03-20-2011, 06:36 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
TSX has a face only honda execs could love
Old 03-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
TSX has a face only honda execs could love
And even they gave up on it......the TL went thru an early refresh to get rid of the bucktoothed look. Nit sure if the tsx did too but it sure needed one
Old 03-20-2011, 07:12 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To the Op, you might as well compare the TSX to a Fiesta. With your reasoning, the Fiesta will get better mileage; it is slow but you can wind out the engine in city driving. And it is much cheaper then the TSX.
The G37 is more about driving dynamic with more power and refinements.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Maxpilot

You know they now make a G25x which would be cheaper and get better gas mileage.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:24 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxpilot
You know they now make a G25x which would be cheaper and get better gas mileage.
+1 Have you looked at the G25x?

If you've driven both and are mainly concerned about price then why not buy the TSX? What making you hesitate about it and consider the G37x?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And in fact, that's what OP should be comparing the TSX to. Much more similar.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Except, its not much cheaper and it doesnt get much better mpg. Go figure.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a '10 TSX Tech and an '11 G37 Auto Premium Sport Coupe. The TSX stereo is the best that I have ever heard in a car. I am getting about 8 mpg better in the TSX. While it doesn't have the neck breaking acceleration, the TSX does ok. The G has much more road noise, but is a blast to drive.

When it comes to size, the two sedans are similar. However, the TL SH-AWD is probably a better direct comparison, even though it is a bigger car for the same price.

If you value the stereo, go for an Acura. If you want value, go CPO of whatever you like.

When I picked up the G, I just test drove cars until one seemed to click. I've had no regrets.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To the OP: Whatever everyone else here has ^Ditto....Except for you are on the right track in your 3rd paragraph, the 7 AT DOES do too much gear hunting causing performance losses compared to the 08s 0r 07s...

Whatever you decide to do: Make sure you take the cars you are considering for Long, Long test drives in all conditions, not the quickies the salesperson wants you to take.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 AM
PascalT

Saving money vs power/style. It's up to you what you prefer. You could always get a used G if money is the issue.

Quick Reply: Is the G37x worth the price difference over an Acura TSX?