G37 Sedan

Is the G37x worth the price difference over an Acura TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Austin713

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
You should be comparing the TL SH-AWD to the G37x. they are more closely matched. however not in price at all. the acura is much more expensive.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 PM
sebounet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you asked this kind of question , you know the answer. The TSX is for you because you did'nt ''feel'' the real difference between those two cars.

I had a TL befor (2 exactly), and i drove a lot the TSX as a loaner. TSX is fun to drive but far from the fun provided by the g37. But this fun has a price YES
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM
roots4x

Why aren't you comparing the G25? Infiniti does not have an equivalent to the TSX. The TSX is almost exactly a European Honda Accord. Not necessarily a bad thing since it is a nice car, but it's not the luxury car that the TL or the G37 are.

Is the $9k price difference worth it? For you, it sounds like it doesn't. The main difference between the cars are the driving dynamics. Most people who own the G37 probably said "the $9k price difference isn't worth buying a BMW 335i" since that is pretty much the car the G37 is aping. So $9k being a lot of money, if you're going to be happy with the TSX, get it. Saving money is probably the smartest thing you can do right now, and the savings in gas will compound that savings.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Kugs10

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. I clearly see the difference when I drive them. I am an enthusiast (owner of mostly Audis in the past) so appreciate a well-engineered machine. But I'm also practical so the TSX is a hell of a deal at that price point, so it has made me pause and think about whether I really need the extra power.

As for the G25x, I think the TSX is the better car. The TSX was designed around a 200hp engine from the ground up, so handles much better. The G25x feels underpowered and sluggish to me, and is also overpriced.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM
sebounet

Originally Posted by Kugs10
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. I clearly see the difference when I drive them. I am an enthusiast (owner of mostly Audis in the past) so appreciate a well-engineered machine. But I'm also practical so the TSX is a hell of a deal at that price point, so it has made me pause and think about whether I really need the extra power.

As for the G25x, I think the TSX is the better car. The TSX was designed around a 200hp engine from the ground up, so handles much better. The G25x feels underpowered and sluggish to me, and is also overpriced.
Agree the g25X, is too expensive, they should have put more difference in price with the G37. Like BMW 328 and 335.
Acura TSX is faster on 0-60 mph than G25X, for sure. So more TSX is more fun to drive.
What miss me more in from my TL is the sound system with AUDIO DVD, hard to find but 5.1 in a car is amazing
Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kugs10

It sounds like you made up your mind a while ago and are looking for a reason to convince you get the G. Go for the TSX.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Maxpilot

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
vv As a counterpoint, I have no issues with the 7AT; it's always been smooth shifting for me. I've driven a 5AT 2008 Coupe and I prefer the 7AT in the 2009+ as it keeps the revs lower on the highway. Plus, the rev match downshift feature is cool.
I don't have any of the 7AT problems that others are talking about. I came from the 08. I love the paddle shifters and the fact that I can use them while leaving it in D. I like to downshift using manual mode to save the brakes. One thing however, is when I get down to 2nd gear and coasting almost to a stop, the torque converter releases suddenly. That caught me off guard at first.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After 1500 miles, I love my 7AT. Much better than the Subaru 5EAT I came from.

For those with 7AT issues, you might want to check into this TSB, I think from Nov-Dec 2010:
ITB10-075
2009–2011 INFINITI G37, 2011 G25; TRANSMISSION SHIFT ISSUES AND/OR A/T DTC STORED
Any of these incorrect gear ratio DTCs stored: P0732, P0733, P0734, P0735, P0729, and/or P1734.
and/or
A slight vehicle vibration/shutter with light acceleration at low speeds,
and/or
At times, the engine rpm goes up (about 200 to 250 rpm) during the 3rd > 4th up shift, or the 4th > 5th up shift,
and/or
Engine braking feel is more than expected with deceleration,
and/or
The 2nd > 1st down shift is harsher than expected
Old 03-22-2011, 01:56 AM
roots4x

Originally Posted by Austin713
You should be comparing the TL SH-AWD to the G37x. they are more closely matched. however not in price at all. the acura is much more expensive.
Actually, the G and the TL are fairly close price wise. The TL would be considered the direct competitor. The TSX would be comparable to the old G20. small compact pseudo luxury sedan with a small engine. Of course with time this all becomes relative.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by roots4x
Actually, the G and the TL are fairly close price wise. The TL would be considered the direct competitor. The TSX would be comparable to the old G20. small compact pseudo luxury sedan with a small engine. Of course with time this all becomes relative.
Except the TSX is almost the same size as the G. The G is only an inch longer than the TSX, while the TSX is 3 inches wider. The TL is 9 inches longer than the G and an four inches wider.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 AM
BlueOnyxG

Originally Posted by Austin713
The Acura is no MUCH more expensive. I have one of each. The price difference between the SH-AWD (non Nav) and the G37X premium was a matter of a few hundred bucks. Very comparable price wise.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
tsx is not even close.
perfomance or otherwise I'd take a g37x over a loaded tsx,no contest.
they even make a sport wagon reminds me of the accord station wagon,doesn't say much for acura.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Creepers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not adding anything pertaining to the OP's question, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed my 1st-gen TSX. It was very light and nimble, had "enough" power and was extremely fun to drive; all this at a very reasonable fuel cost.

But I like my X-coupe better. Of course, the price of admission is higher... Worth it? I think so.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:02 PM
roots4x

Originally Posted by KLB
Except the TSX is almost the same size as the G. The G is only an inch longer than the TSX, while the TSX is 3 inches wider. The TL is 9 inches longer than the G and an four inches wider.
Not sure why they're so big on the outside (to fit the beak?) but the back seat of a TSX seems useless. G isn't that great either but it's OK for mid-length trips. Also, when it comes to price, equipment, performance, etc, the TL and G are pretty close (on paper). The TSX doesn't compete in that sense.