G37 Sedan

Is the G37x worth the price difference over an Acura TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
vv As a counterpoint, I have no issues with the 7AT; it's always been smooth shifting for me. I've driven a 5AT 2008 Coupe and I prefer the 7AT in the 2009+ as it keeps the revs lower on the highway. Plus, the rev match downshift feature is cool.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
vv As a counterpoint, I have no issues with the 7AT; it's always been smooth shifting for me. I've driven a 5AT 2008 Coupe and I prefer the 7AT in the 2009+ as it keeps the revs lower on the highway. Plus, the rev match downshift feature is cool.
You mean you don't feel the lagging that Hundreds of members have cited on the Transmission Reflash Thread in this Forum.?? Wow, you are lucky !! John, you have an 09, maybe that is it... The only rev matching I feel is in DS mode which also has been very much changed from my 07 G35X. The lower RPMs on th highway is done for Mileage gains, I for one of many, can't agree with you on the driveability. Yes against other cars, maybe, but against my former 07, no way !
Old 03-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
the question is nothing more than: Gas milage, cheaper (not in the bd way), FWD vs More expensive, worse milage, quicker, AWD.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:13 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Except, its not much cheaper and it doesnt get much better mpg. Go figure.
But the G25 doesn't look like a dentist's wet dream!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Almatti
You mean you don't feel the lagging that Hundreds of members have cited on the Transmission Reflash Thread in this Forum.?? Wow, you are lucky !! John, you have an 09, maybe that is it... The only rev matching I feel is in DS mode which also has been very much changed from my 07 G35X. The lower RPMs on th highway is done for Mileage gains, I for one of many, can't agree with you on the driveability. Yes against other cars, maybe, but against my former 07, no way !
Hundreds? LOL Come on man.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
TSX has a face only honda execs could love
lmao.. so true.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:38 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope, my transmission is nice and smooth and I've never encounter any of the issues that a few people here have brought up. I know a few other people with the 7AT G and they've never experienced anything like what some people here discribe when it comes to their transmission.

I have a 2008 Coupe and they're both equally smooth to me. My 2009 sedan is a bit quieter on the highway due to the lower revs and gets better gas milage.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i dont really experience these problems eithers, i do have the occasional rough downshift into 1st and sometimes when in high gear (6/7) its hard to accelerate because i feel as if i have hit a rpm "wall" which is hard to break. But 6th and 7th gear are overdrivin, so i have no complaints
Old 03-21-2011, 11:53 AM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The OP is value sensitive....and its clear the TSX is a higher value vehicle than the G37X; much lower price, better gas mileage, and better resale. The trade off is less power, no awd, and slightly inferior handling characteristics. Regarding some of the Gs issues; they are actually quite minor....I suspect the TSX has some of its own issues.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:56 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by financeman
The OP is value sensitive....and its clear the TSX is a higher value vehicle than the G37X; much lower price, better gas mileage, and better resale. The trade off is less power, no awd, and slightly inferior handling characteristics. Regarding some of the Gs issues; they are actually quite minor....I suspect the TSX has some of its own issues.
G25x for sure then.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM
BlueOnyxG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More fair comparison is the G25x Vs. TSX. A far fetched comparison to the G37x would be the TSX V6, but again that's a far fetched comparison. Like others have said, the TL SH-AWD is a direct comparo to the G37x. I know, i have one of each. LOL.

But it all depends what you want.....you can't have both power and fuel economy. You gotta choose one over the other, so it's in your hands......what will it be? Whatever you decide, you'll know which car to buy.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To the OP.

Settling for a low amount of horse power is like settling for a low amount of money... There can never be too much.

I always look at power as a percent of effort thing.
Imagine the G37 using 10 percent of its power to get to freeway speed as opposed to some weak engined car having to hit red line every day just to enter the freeway.

Example: I can beat you without using my first and second gear.

Its all about effortless power. Luxury cars are meant to be powerful so you are not struggling to get somewhere.

The TSX might have enough power to do what you need it to, but isn't a car suppose to do what you want it to.

If you buy a car for necessity, look at civics and corollas.
If you buy a car with a passion and desire look at the G37.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:47 PM
volnedan

Before I got my 2008 G35S 6MT sedan I strongly considered a 2009 TSX 4cyl with manual (no manual on V6) but it basically came down to which car I'd enjoy driving on a daily basis. The more I drove the TSX, it grew on me since Honda makes wayyyy better clutch than Infiniti. But in the end I chose the G.

Of course I would have gotten 5-6mpg better than the G, but overall the TSX was too tame for my taste, and although it handled great sometimes it felt boring. No engine note, no exhaust, no tires squealing, no excitement. Not that I'm going to the track on weekends, but I do like to perfom hooliganism every now and then.

It all depends on your driving style and tastes. Good luck, you can't go wrong with either vehicle.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:35 PM
moonsky

It's clear that the Acura beak has affected sale from the response of the company. My guess is that it will lower the resale value as well.

It's really subjective whether a car is worth the price difference. You are paying more for the G because it is RWD based car with an advanced V6 engine, and it is also a slightly larger car (at least length-wise) you are also paying more for the gas mileage difference.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:35 PM
KLB

You hear much more from those that are unhappy with something than those that are not.

I also do not see the problems many people complain about. I think it has to do with the 50K miles behind me, much of which is spent cruising on the highway. The 7AT is no quirkier than any of the other modern ATs I have driven.

The OP is not trying to compare the G37 to your '07 G35. He is trying to compare it to a TSX. So, from what you say you would recommend it over the TSX, since it is not your G35.

Quick Reply: Is the G37x worth the price difference over an Acura TSX?