G37 Sedan

Is There A Product That Will Take Out Windshield Speckles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is There A Product That Will Take Out Windshield Speckles?

Is there a window glass cleaner/ wax that will take out the speckles in the windshield? You know, those almost sand- blasted speckles from the road. Not scratches, not "nicks" in the glass, hope I'm describing it correctly...
Old 03-18-2011, 12:35 PM
RedG37SNC

Originally Posted by Almatti
Is there a window glass cleaner/ wax that will take out the speckles in the windshield? You know, those almost sand- blasted speckles from the road. Not scratches, not "nicks" in the glass, hope I'm describing it correctly...
I'd consider that wear and not damage, replacement would be the fix for that.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:12 PM
roots4x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you have tiny holes in your windshield from rocks and stuff you might be able to get it filled with that windshield chip repair they sell. I'm not sure how clean it would look though, since that product is more designed for filling in cracks and not leveling off tiny holes.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:08 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
replacement is your best bet..
Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 on replacement. I've looked for a non-replacement solution for many years, have talked to a lot of glass experts, with no luck. I think I first started looking when I had a Fairlady 2000 roadster, almost impossible to find a replacement windshield for, even in the '80's.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Almatti

Well, that SUX.... is it the "softer" laminate type Glass used that is ruined so easily. The speckles in glass looks like I went through a local sand storm. Probably from the sand and salt - so much was used this year in the NY metro area. Funny though, my wife drives our 2010 CRV to and from work, 25 miles a day, that car doesn't any of that in the windshield... BTW, the Paint job on the Honda is much better than the G too.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 AM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Is There A Product That Will Take Out Windshield Speckles?

Yes. A slingshot.

Take the slingshot and a pebble, fire it at your windshield until it cracks, call your insurance company and get it replaced

(with pitting damage so bad you feel the need to fix it, how is it your paint is OK?)
Old 03-19-2011, 10:24 AM
RedG37SNC

I just remove the deductable for windshield replacement and call them if I want a new one. Don't need to prove damage, my good hands are well paid for this. So far I'm doing fine and still on OEM, just one small crack nicely masked by my mirror . We've caught some nice little rocks and dirt clauds though. Love all the construction trucks that get on beltways without a lick of care to the shiet storm they release beind them with every road bounce. There ought to be a law!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Almatti

Originally Posted by clutch5
re: Is There A Product That Will Take Out Windshield Speckles?

Yes. A slingshot.

Take the slingshot and a pebble, fire it at your windshield until it cracks, call your insurance company and get it replaced

(with pitting damage so bad you feel the need to fix it, how is it your paint is OK?)
Paint is not OK.... Scratches and nicks here and there...
Old 03-19-2011, 11:50 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Whatever you do...don't try to polish the glass. I did this; ruined my windshield....created a star burst affect with oncoming headlights when driving at night.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:10 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
if you're not talking about pitting, but rather specks (like dirt) stuck to your windshield, use a razor blade and run it across your windshield several times.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:34 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use a clay bar and that usually works for me then I wax it so the rain doesn't stick
Old 03-20-2011, 07:38 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by financeman
Whatever you do...don't try to polish the glass. I did this; ruined my windshield....created a star burst affect with oncoming headlights when driving at night.
Lol you really tried to polish glass?! That's too funny
Old 03-20-2011, 12:29 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
CrystalFusion

i have this and actually give a lot of this to my clients as a package.... and it works
Old 03-21-2011, 02:02 PM
bitNine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After you replace it, get glass coverage from your insurance company if they offer it. I pay an extra few bucks a month with State Farm and every piece of glass is covered from damage. And while I've not done it, I've been told that if you can argue it makes it difficult to drive, they will still replace it. Massive pitting can be considered damage... And if it's not, just hang out behind a few trucks until it breaks, lol.

And no, I've never found anything that will fix those pits. Replacement is the best bet.

Quick Reply: Is There A Product That Will Take Out Windshield Speckles?