G37 Sedan

Official News from Infiniti @ earthquake

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by RYs06MT
This is all informative to read... I wish our cell phone providers opened lines for free calls during Sept 11th, the massive earthquake in San Fransisco or Hurricane Katrina.
Does anyone know if Japan ever offered the United States any help during our tragic events? I sure don't remember them offering/giving anything, maybe I'm wrong though.
Yes they did help, something like 200k for the red cross and another mil for other aide for katrina. Not much, but they did help. As for 9/11 they didnt do anything that I know of.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Thank you for that Pcasey, I'm just trying to understand, so one of the richest countries with the highest life expectancy pretty much gave my country nothing (1.2 mil) during three of our largest down times I've seen. Ok. I mean I feel bad for them, but really I see they had no heart for me.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:20 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcasey
Yes they did help, something like 200k for the red cross and another mil for other aide for katrina. Not much, but they did help. As for 9/11 they didnt do anything that I know of.
The problem was after 9/11 a lot of the communication network in NYC was damaged so opening it up to everyone would have only further crippled an overloaded system.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:03 AM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
For what its worth...copied from Wikipedia. "The Japanese Foreign Ministry said that it would provide $200,000 to the American Red Cross to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina. Japan also identified needs in affected regions via the U.S. government and provided up to $1,000,000 in emergency supplies such as tents, blankets and power generators if they receive requests from the U.S. for such assistance. Private and corporate donations totaled over $13,000,000.[33] One Japanese individual, Takashi Endo, donated USD $1,000,000 from his personal funds to Katrina relief efforts.[15]"
Old 03-16-2011, 12:33 AM
RYs06MT

^ right on... That's what I was looking for. I do feel bad for what's going on over there. I wish Japan the best with things. This shouldn't happen to anyone.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:26 PM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by da mayor
got great news today and all i can say is that we are fortunate it's very minimal amount of vehicles damaged, plants are perfect, and global output will be back on track as normal within a week...
On another forum, an Infiniti dealer sales manager said there is now going to be another price increase on Infinitis on top of the increase that just went into effect with January deliveries. Almost seems like they are using tragic events as an excuse to charge more, especially in light of your comments. Surely they had insurance to cover short term losses, and if they didn't they've saved $$ by not paying premiums all these years that more that cover the minimal losses as you described. Have you received word on the price increases, or do you think that information is wrong?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

China orders stepped-up radiation checks at ports

Japan's neighbors monitor shipments for radiation - KansasCity.com

Regulators in China, which is Japan's largest trading partner, issued an order Wednesday calling for radiation monitoring to track any goods possibly contaminated by leaks from nuclear power reactors damaged by Friday's 9.0 magnitude earthquake and tsunami in northeastern Japan. Several other Asian nations were taking similar precautions.
I'm not sure if this only applies to food or should we worry about anything produced and shipped from Japan, such as cars & car parts.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:48 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by devil2k
China orders stepped-up radiation checks at ports

Japan's neighbors monitor shipments for radiation - KansasCity.com

I'm not sure if this only applies to food or should we worry about anything produced and shipped from Japan, such as cars & car parts.
LOL they're just looking for an excuse to but up barriers to Japanese goods coming into their country.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:54 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by clutch5
On another forum, an Infiniti dealer sales manager said there is now going to be another price increase on Infinitis on top of the increase that just went into effect with January deliveries. Almost seems like they are using tragic events as an excuse to charge more, especially in light of your comments. Surely they had insurance to cover short term losses, and if they didn't they've saved $$ by not paying premiums all these years that more that cover the minimal losses as you described. Have you received word on the price increases, or do you think that information is wrong?
The dealer is looking for an excuse to raise prices. Those cars were all insured and Nissan will get it's money back.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:37 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RYs06MT
^ right on... That's what I was looking for. I do feel bad for what's going on over there. I wish Japan the best with things. This shouldn't happen to anyone.
Let's not forget that the US was initally declining offers of assistance and it was only later when people started to realize how bad things actually were that the US started accepting the offers.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:19 AM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a theory...

Because insurance companies are going to be paying out such insane amounts on everything else.... they're going to try to find any reason not to do a full pay out on things that weren't completely destroyed. SO... Nissan had someone set fire to the vehicles for complete destruction so theres no reason for the insurance companies to not pay up.

If that's not the case, then whats the explanation for the fire? How is it that there were pictures taken of the fleet with no fire in sight, and several hours later all the cars are engulfed in flames. C'mon... doesn't make you think?

Last edited by ONEighty; 03-17-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:42 AM
RYs06MT

^ that theory is deep, Nissan murdered Infiniti, I guess when it comes to the dollar family isn't safe.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:06 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 180Custom
I have a theory...

Because insurance companies are going to be paying out such insane amounts on everything else.... they're going to try to find any reason not to do a full pay out on things that weren't completely destroyed. SO... Nissan had someone set fire to the vehicles for complete destruction so theres no reason for the insurance companies to not pay up.

If that's not the case, then whats the explanation for the fire? How is it that there were pictures taken of the fleet with no fire in sight, and several hours later all the cars are engulfed in flam es. C'mon... doesn't make you think?
Nah, they'll pay. The current estimate for insurance payout is that it won't exceed Katrina. Mazda lost almost 5,000 Mazda 3s when the ship tipped and it was covered. Nissan/Infiniti lost 2,300, there's no reason why the claim wouldn't be paid, unless the insurance company files bankruptcy first. They'll just jack up the premium way up in the future, and that'll get passed onto car buyers like us.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:21 AM
PureNick

Japan may be rich in the eyes of the banks in which they loan money from (they have one of the highest country credit rankings) but they're in debt way over their head.

List of sovereign states by public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Japan = #2
USA = #35
Old 03-17-2011, 08:24 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 180Custom
I have a theory...

If that's not the case, then whats the explanation for the fire? How is it that there were pictures taken of the fleet with no fire in sight, and several hours later all the cars are engulfed in flames. C'mon... doesn't make you think?
There's no worry about the insurance companies paying out.

Those cars are fueled up and ready to go. A fire could have easily started from a damaged wiring harness and a leaking gas tank, or just a damaged harness that contacted something flammable in one of the cars.

Quick Reply: Official News from Infiniti @ earthquake