G37 Sedan

G37 Top Sports Sedan (Consumer Reports)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:31 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Maybe the 335i is quicker, but because it has a twin freakin turbo. And that straight six with TWO turbos makes less hp (300) and 31 more lb ft of torque. Yeah, that 31 lb ft is what makes it quicker (that and the 2 turbos) but that's just more crap that can go wrong and if it goes wrong out of warranty... BMW will empty your bank account there.

I've driven them. They ARE pretty freakin sweet. Not worth the extra scratch, IMO.

A BMW 335i, similarly equipped to my G was $8,914 more. That's with premium/sport/nav pkgs. $48,215 vs $39,301. Is "a little quicker" worth 9 grand to you?

Bang for the buck... The G is the hands down winner.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:58 PM
roots4x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Interesting that the G interior ranks so high up there. I honestly thought my 01 i30 had better interior quality than my 11 GxS.
I have had a few I35 loaners and they just seemed like hopped up maximas. Still nice, sure, but nowhere near the current gen G.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM
moonsky

The torque and horsepower numbers don't determine 0-60 time. Those numbers are maximum values, but actual acceleration is determined by torque at the wheels during the entire run, and that is determined not only by engine torque (which changes depending on rpm) but also by the gear ratio (which changes when you shift, and also changes the engine rpm) and final drive.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:02 PM
roots4x

Originally Posted by MACS
Maybe the 335i is quicker, but because it has a twin freakin turbo. And that straight six with TWO turbos makes less hp (300) and 31 more lb ft of torque. Yeah, that 31 lb ft is what makes it quicker (that and the 2 turbos) but that's just more crap that can go wrong and if it goes wrong out of warranty... BMW will empty your bank account there.

I've driven them. They ARE pretty freakin sweet. Not worth the extra scratch, IMO.

A BMW 335i, similarly equipped to my G was $8,914 more. That's with premium/sport/nav pkgs. $48,215 vs $39,301. Is "a little quicker" worth 9 grand to you?

Bang for the buck... The G is the hands down winner.
It's not just a little quicker. Almost everything just has a nicer, more polished feel to it. I am not saying a huge difference, but no one can argue the difference exists.

Now all that might not be worth $9k to most people, but to some it might. But then, reliability plays a large part and Infiniti obviously wins that contest.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:03 PM
moonsky

Originally Posted by roots4x
It's not just a little quicker. Almost everything just has a nicer, more polished feel to it. I am not saying a huge difference, but no one can argue the difference exists.

Now all that might not be worth $9k to most people, but to some it might. But then, reliability plays a large part and Infiniti obviously wins that contest.
And none of you mentions practicality? I mean, we are talking about sedans with four doors. The room in the back may not matter much to the driver but should be an important factor when comparing sedans. The 3-series and IS seriously lack leg room in the rear seats.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by moonsky
The 3-series and IS seriously lack leg room in the rear seats.
I thought the leg room in the 3 series was comparable to our G sedans. Its the trunk space where the G takes the cake.

The IS on the other hand is just a 2 door in 4 door guise.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:44 PM
moonsky

Originally Posted by Bo2point0
I thought the leg room in the 3 series was comparable to our G sedans. Its the trunk space where the G takes the cake.

Not when I shopped for my car, where I compared the legroom after adjusting to comfortable front seat position. If you look at numbers, you'll find:

335 front legroom 41.5", rear 34.6", passenger volume 93 cu ft
G37 front legroom 43.9", rear 34.7", passenger volume 99 cu ft (and the G is narrower so it must be much longer inside)
Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bo2point0
Coming from an IS350 before I got the G, I completely agree. The back seats of that car were a tight fit.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:05 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Yessir... I agree completely.

On a related note, the car companies that are putting their money where their mouth is, in terms of reliability, are Hyundai/Kia.

5yr/ 60k mile bumper to bumper and 10yr/ 100k mile powertrain. OUR warranty ain't that good.

I think they are improving. I still won't buy one, mind you, but they are obviously getting better and they're willing to back their product. I remember when I was a kid - Toyota was crap and they sure turned it around (at least for awhile... not so much lately so it seems).
Old 03-03-2011, 01:23 AM
SaMaster14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eksigned
^ the 335i has more a larger power curve. it makes more power than our G's. note it's also underrated. just an fyi for you, MAC.
Agreed. I feel as though the 335i completely beats the G in almost every category, except for price... its at least $10,000 more.

I do agree about the Benz, Lexus and Acura though.

I've never liked Acura (I've actually never even considered them in the league of luxury/sports car at all). Not as powerful, and not good looking.

MBZ is good looking and luxurious... but more of a girls car or an old man's car.

Lexus is nice, but I've always thought of the IS as a girls car also... just not as intimidating or aggressive looking as the G...

I love my G37 sedan and definitely think its an amazing car, and definitely underrated.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:46 AM
cbach1997

Originally Posted by MACS
I am totally in agreement here. I'm extremely practical, which means I want to get a lot for my money. I am also a huge car nut and I research cars all the time.

Acura TL - cost more, less hp and FWD - PASS!

BMW 335i - cost a lot more, less hp, less stuff unless you want to pay even more and then your maintenance or repair after warranty will break the bank - PASS!

Lexus IS350 - cost more, less hp otherwise a decent alternative but - PASS!

Mercedes C 350 - See BMW, but the Mercedes has A LOT less hp - PASS!
A spot on report if I may say. The C series has an incredibly badly placed cruise control fob which is where the turn signal belongs. Turning left can bat it by accident, immediately enabling cruise (no confirmation two step process, just ON NOW).
Old 03-11-2011, 12:54 AM
roots4x

Originally Posted by cbach1997
A spot on report if I may say. The C series has an incredibly badly placed cruise control fob which is where the turn signal belongs. Turning left can bat it by accident, immediately enabling cruise (no confirmation two step process, just ON NOW).
The c class is a great car. It is truly a luxury car at a price comparable to the g37. The cruise control location is very intuitive and it is different, but not worse than most Japanese cars.

I don't have a c class currently but drove one for quite a while.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:55 AM
cbach1997

Originally Posted by 15951
There's more to quickness than hp. Both the 335i and the IS350 are quicker than the G. Not by much, but I would look at torque numbers for the real story.
True that. Case in point, my 91 Explorer with a whipping 155 hp, but 220 ft/lb at 2400 rpm from a 4.0L 12V engine designed in the 60's. 20 years later, still running strong and pulls hard at low rpm.

More to the relevant point, however, I think the gearing Infiniti's picked along with quick and crisp shifts (7AT) shows off the engine at all speeds.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:04 PM
zoner

x2........
Old 03-13-2011, 01:30 PM
gduece22

335i

Anyone think with stillen gen3 intake and catback ekhaust and maybe grounding kit( for quicker shifts) the G can be as quick or nudge out the 335i? This may start a long thread!

Quick Reply: G37 Top Sports Sedan (Consumer Reports)