G37 Sedan

30 000 miles,(48 000km) maintenance ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM
sebounet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30 000 miles,(48 000km) maintenance ???

I leave in Canada , and at this mileage, they say you need to change all the transmission oil, transfer case oil (all related to awd, don't remenber, there are 3 parts). I have a g37X.
First the transmission oil don't need to be replace for g37X. All the dealers have lied about that.
Second it's not clear wether or not changing the oil in all the parts of the AWD system, will void the warranty.

Because canada is considered to be ''harsh'' condition, i m in montreal, i don't do offroad driving. DO you think it's necessary. I don't keep my car for a long time max 3 years or 60 000 miles. SO i don't care if it could give a longer life to the car.

Your opinions about that.

By the way , here type IV maintenance is $575.00 plus taxes (14%)
Old 02-24-2011, 03:11 PM
BillPaul

You should follow the directions in the owner's manual.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:35 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
must be nice to be able to go through cars, like a pair of shoes! i kid.
all the inspection stuff is bogus, but the oils are spot on. YES, you need to do transmission fluids, rear differential oils, plus whatever oils are related to your awd system. they're NOT lying.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:45 PM
sebounet

Originally Posted by eksigned
must be nice to be able to go through cars, like a pair of shoes! i kid.
all the inspection stuff is bogus, but the oils are spot on. YES, you need to do transmission fluids, rear differential oils, plus whatever oils are related to your awd system. they're NOT lying.
If you read the manual and i always to avoid to spend some money on something useless.

I's clear that for the g37X (AT), no oil change is required (so they are lying). RTFM

For a AWD, it's not clear, it's like ''if you use it a lot the AWD system you should change oil every 30 000 miles.) And it's only written in maintenance for severe environment (snow, dust, sludge). Yes there is some snow, but you are on it just few days a year , in montreal they clean the road very fast.

A strange thing just to show you how stealer are. It's the same price for the 30 000 miles maintenance, whether you have a g35X AT or a G37X AT. But as i said there's no need to change transmission oil on G37 (see the manual)
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 AM
KLB

This is what is in the Service Manual for 30K miles for Schedule 1&2
 Replace engine oil and filter
 Replace climate controlled seat filter (M45/M35/FX50/FX35, if so
equipped)
 Replace engine air filter
 Replace in-cabin microfilter
 Rotate tires (except G35 Sedan 2WD Sport and G37 Coupe 2WD Sport)

Only the Premium maintenance mentions anything about transfer case oil and AT fluid, and even it has it as optional. This is what they consider Premium maintenance.
"Premium Maintenance is an Infiniti recommended
option that is suitable for
all driving habits and local conditions.
Infiniti developed Premium Maintenance
for owners who want the ultimate in
preventative maintenance."
Old 02-25-2011, 12:21 PM
hollowplayer

yes you need transmission fluid change, its sealed. But no fluid could last forever, if you dont plan to keep your car for more than 100k miles then dont do it.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:31 PM
moonsky

Originally Posted by hollowplayer
yes you need transmission fluid change, its sealed. But no fluid could last forever, if you dont plan to keep your car for more than 100k miles then dont do it.
How do you change the fluid if the transmission is sealed?
Old 02-25-2011, 01:52 PM
BlueOnyxG

I've got only 11,000km on my G37x at the moment, so i haven't run into this issue of changing fluids except the oil yet. However, i can tell you that on my TL SH-AWD, i did do the rear diff fluid change that was required. It's what they call a break in period change. The Rear Diff is changed at 20,000km, but won't be needed for probably another 75,000km.

On my previous cars, my Altima SE-R, and my Spec-V, i always did the first Transmission flush at about 80,000km, and every 50,000km thereafter.

At 48,000km i would think it's a bit early for the tranny, but then again our cars are far more advanced with 7spd auto's etc. Changing the fluid can't do any harm, so i would do it. You bought a $50,000 car, i wouldn't cheap on on stuff like premium fuel, or regular oil & fluid changes. If you don't do it, and something goes wrong, you may have a pretty big fight going on with Infiniti and your dealer. Think about the cost of a tranny if they deny your warranty due to not performing a "recomended" service? Just my opinion.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:02 PM
moonsky

Originally Posted by BlueOnyxG
At 48,000km i would think it's a bit early for the tranny, but then again our cars are far more advanced with 7spd auto's etc. Changing the fluid can't do any harm, so i would do it. You bought a $50,000 car, i wouldn't cheap on on stuff like premium fuel, or regular oil & fluid changes. If you don't do it, and something goes wrong, you may have a pretty big fight going on with Infiniti and your dealer. Think about the cost of a tranny if they deny your warranty due to not performing a "recomended" service? Just my opinion.
I don't think anyone is telling him not to do anything recommended by Infiniti. But transmission fluid change is not recommended by Infiniti, otherwise you wouldn't see the asterisk beside the "replace automatic transmission fluid item" that says "except models with 7-speed automatic transmission"

Also, Infiniti cannot deny your warranty if you perform Infiniti Schedule 1 service, which states that you only need to inspect differential and transfer case fluid, but "replace (not just inspect) oil/fluid if towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads." Whether that applies to you is your call. I would say the effect of driving a lot on snow is probably the same as driving on rough or muddy roads.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:40 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the 30,000 mile service would cost $825....which is probably true if they change the transmission and transfer case oil. While I don't believe in scrimping on service, I believe the "premium" schedule is excessive compared to any other car I've ever owned.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:03 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
the best comprimise to the 30k service is to have an independent shop follow the Premium service items listed in the manual instead of paying through the nose at the stealer. that's what i've always done with my cars. that way you get the comprehensive maintenance performed at a reasonable price. and you can pick items a la carte, unlike stealers that force these all-encompassing packages.

for instance: my local stealer wants $700+ for the 30k service with fluid changes, and does not permit customer supplied parts. when i supply the filters and fluids (~$150), my independent shop charges $200 labour for inspections and services. that works out to roughly half the cost for higher quality fluids and/or parts. don't even try to tell me that a Wix/Napa Gold oil filter is not better than the Nissan (Fram) job.

i simply retain my records and no stealer has ever denied warranty claims.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Fire0nIc3

Lmfao yes you do have to change the transmission fluid. It doesn't matter what the manual says. In the factory service manual it's listed that you still have to change the transmission fluid. What you think their is no transmission fluid or something? Lol

Search button is your friend:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...cant-find.html

And yes corporate does okay this.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fire0nIc3
Lmfao yes you do have to change the transmission fluid. It doesn't matter what the manual says. In the factory service manual it's listed that you still have to change the transmission fluid. What you think their is no transmission fluid or something? Lol

Search button is your friend:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...cant-find.html

And yes corporate does okay this.
There is no service interval for the AT fluid in w/the 7 speed transmission. It's right there in black and white in the maintenance schedule. As a matter of fact, it's SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED from maintenance in the schedule. Maintaining it anyway only introduces the risk of contaminating the system.

You decided to take the unnecessary step of changing your transmission fluid in a sealed unit with no service interval. Convincing others to do it, and then linking to another thread where you're trying to convince others to do it, doesn't make it necessary.

By the way, the service manual tells you HOW to change the fluid, and never mentions necessity of intervals. It also likely tells you how to replace many other non-maintenance items.

Calling a corporate drone at Infiniti and asking if it's ok to give your dealer more money for service doesn't constitute research. C'mon already.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Fire0nIc3

Originally Posted by 15951
There is no service interval for the AT fluid in w/the 7 speed transmission. It's right there in black and white in the maintenance schedule. As a matter of fact, it's SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED from maintenance in the schedule. Maintaining it anyway only introduces the risk of contaminating the system.

You decided to take the unnecessary step of changing your transmission fluid in a sealed unit with no service interval. Convincing others to do it, and then linking to another thread where you're trying to convince others to do it, doesn't make it necessary.

By the way, the service manual tells you HOW to change the fluid, and never mentions necessity of intervals. It also likely tells you how to replace many other non-maintenance items.

Calling a corporate drone at Infiniti and asking if it's ok to give your dealer more money for service doesn't constitute research. C'mon already.
Lol whatever. Don't change it I could really care less. No transmission fluid last forever. You know nothing about cars. This is nothing new either. It's nice how you make things up. Contaminating it? Seriously? When they mean sealed, they don't mean sealed like that permanently. By sealed they mean there's no dipstick. Nothing is sealed on the transmission.

You obviously never owned a BMW or Audi before. They use this same stuff and your still suppose to change it on them too. And stop calling it sealed. There's nothing sealed about it. Only thing different is the way you fill it.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fire0nIc3
Lol whatever. Don't change it I could really care less. No transmission fluid last forever. You know nothing about cars. This is nothing new either. It's nice how you make things up. Contaminating it? Seriously? When they mean sealed, they don't mean sealed like that permanently. By sealed they mean there's no dipstick. Nothing is sealed on the transmission.

You obviously never owned a BMW or Audi before. They use this same stuff and your still suppose to change it on them too. And stop calling it sealed. There's nothing sealed about it. Only thing different is the way you fill it.
1. It's "couldn't care less".

2. I know enough about cars to follow a simple maintenance schedule.

3. Yes, contaminants - they're a good part of why the system is maintenance free (e.g. sealed). Look it up.

4. This isn't a BMW or Audi.

Feel free to spend as much as you'd like on unnecessary service, but stop pretending you know better than the engineers that designed the car.

Quick Reply: 30 000 miles,(48 000km) maintenance ???