G37 Sedan

30 000 miles,(48 000km) maintenance ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:43 PM
FootLong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealership stated that I need to get my transmission flushed because I just hit the 30,000 mile interval. He said it will cost $300 which seems expensive to me. After a little research I found the 2009 Infiniti service and maintanence guide. At the 30,000 miles or 24 months (on page 21) it says to change transmission fluid, but in parenthesis, it says" except for the 7speed automatic. Then when looking at all the other higher mileage service intervals, it says "except seven speed tranny". I'm confused because some people say do it some say don't. I don't feel like paying $300 on something that is not necessary or recommended.

Here is the 2009 service and maintenance manual.

http://x.infinitihelp.com/service/20...vice_guide.pdf

Does anyone have the firm facts on what to do/why the manual might say that?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:51 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the manual says not to replace the 7at trans fluid so i wouldnt do it especially at 30k. maybe you can show the print in your manual to the guy at the dealer and see what he says.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:41 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 15951
1. It's "couldn't care less".

2. I know enough about cars to follow a simple maintenance schedule.

3. Yes, contaminants - they're a good part of why the system is maintenance free (e.g. sealed). Look it up.

4. This isn't a BMW or Audi.

Feel free to spend as much as you'd like on unnecessary service, but stop pretending you know better than the engineers that designed the car.
+1
I agree with you completely.
Read the owner's manual and go by its recommended periodic maintenance. There are some owners that fall under the severe usage category, but not as many as the dealerships would like you to think.
Just by following the normal service schedule you will be in a lot better shape then most owners that aren't as concerned about their cars anywhere near as much as members of a car forum.
The one thing to keep in mind,if you have someone other then yourself do the service maintenance, is every time someone puts hands on your car there is a possibility of something being damaged. That means that if you are duped into unnecessary or too frequent service the odds go up as far as something being damaged to your car.
This is why it is not a good idea to have your car serviced immediately prior to taking a trip. A large percentage of highway breakdowns can be directly attributed to the last person that worked on the vehicle.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by cvroom
the manual says not to replace the 7at trans fluid so i wouldnt do it especially at 30k. maybe you can show the print in your manual to the guy at the dealer and see what he says.
While I generally agree with following the service manual recommendations, this is one case I don't agree with.

If the owner plans on keeping the car for several years - lets say 3-6 years for example, then by all means follow it to a T. If you plan on driving the car into the ground, then some common sense also comes into play.

If you recall some years back, gm said spark plugs in their cars are good for 100K miles, same for some other maintenance items too. That's all wonderful. The problem is, by the time you reach 100K, getting those plugs out can prove to be a challenge, possibly resulting in more damage.

In the case of the ATF, no fluid is ever life time. It will break down over time/use due to heat and shearing forces (among others). If it were my car and I planned on keeping it for a very long time, I'd replace the fluid at 40-50K intervals, depending on how much severe driving was done (stop and go, pedal to the floor often, etc.). It's cheap insurance to keep the trans working properly, clutches from slipping, etc.

My bike manual calls for changing brake fluid every 2 years. However, because I ride aggressively, and like that precise hard brake lever feel, I change it every season.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:35 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FootLong
My dealership stated that I need to get my transmission flushed because I just hit the 30,000 mile interval. He said it will cost $300 which seems expensive to me. After a little research I found the 2009 Infiniti service and maintanence guide. At the 30,000 miles or 24 months (on page 21) it says to change transmission fluid, but in parenthesis, it says" except for the 7speed automatic. Then when looking at all the other higher mileage service intervals, it says "except seven speed tranny". I'm confused because some people say do it some say don't. I don't feel like paying $300 on something that is not necessary or recommended.

Here is the 2009 service and maintenance manual.

http://x.infinitihelp.com/service/20...vice_guide.pdf

Does anyone have the firm facts on what to do/why the manual might say that?
I am in the opposite side. I can't seem to get my dealership do a drain and fill on my 7AT at 60K miles. My service advisor (confirmed by the service manager) says that I don't need to do that until 100K miles. This is when I bring this up to them, TWICE. So I am confused. Either they don't want my $$ now or they are the most honest people left in the industry. OR that they want to make big bucks by replacing my transmission at 80K???

I agree with other posters that no fluid will last "life time" - whatever that means.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:45 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I am in the opposite side. I can't seem to get my dealership do a drain and fill on my 7AT at 60K miles. My service advisor (confirmed by the service manager) says that I don't need to do that until 100K miles. This is when I bring this up to them, TWICE. So I am confused. Either they don't want my $$ now or they are the most honest people left in the industry. OR that they want to make big bucks by replacing my transmission at 80K???

I agree with other posters that no fluid will last "life time" - whatever that means.

They might just be honest or go by stated guidelines. In my previous car transmission was also sealed and my mechanic said fluid did not have to be changed, but when I asked for it to be done anyway he obliged.
Not sure why someone would not want to make the money to do it.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Creepers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have a 2009 G37x (coupe) and wanna know exactly what is needed for the 30k service. (I'm actually almost at 32k and am very nervous that something bad will happen if I don't get everything done soon)

So I already changed the air and cabin filters. What else do I need to do?

Coolant (I believe my color is blue so it is longer lasting) just top off unless there is a leak, right?

Transmission fluid change unnecessary because I have a 7AT, per the manual, right?

Brake system fluid exchange, would be nice not but necessary, right? Maybe at 50k?

Differential fluid change is necessary?

Oh, and my brakes are squealing. I'm going to get it checked out, but do you think the pads need changing?

Lots of nubbie questions, thanks.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:43 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
If it were my car, I'd do the coolant at 50/60K, but would do the trans, transfer case, front diff, rear diff and brakes now. Your pads may be squealing due to wear, or due to something vibrating.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Creepers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jsolo
If it were my car, I'd do the coolant at 50/60K, but would do the trans, transfer case, front diff, rear diff and brakes now. Your pads may be squealing due to wear, or due to something vibrating.

Word. That's prolly what I'll do. Now I just have to find a good price for all this.