G37 Sedan

Suggested improvement for smartkey

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:35 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Suggested improvement for smartkey

I've put 8,800 trouble free miles on my 2010, since last March. To date I have had no problems with the auto tranny, no rattles, no wind noise and the highway gas mileage, where I primarily drive the G, has been great.

My only nitpicking is the smart key. There have been numerous times that I have inadvertently opened the trunk or rolled the windows down, when the key is in my pocket and I'm out of the car.
My suggestion to Infiniti is to add an on/off switch to the key. That way you would at least have a choice to turn off the key, if you wanted to.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM
G Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would be helpful. I hate accidently hitting the alarm button and looking stupid.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I dont think this is a problem specific to the intelligent key. This problem would exist for any car's remote. I've never heard of any car manufactures putting an on/off switch to their remotes, except for 1 or 2 aftermarket security alarms.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Problem:

Pants are too tight.

Solution:

Stop wearing your sister's/wife's pants.

JKJKJK just bustin your *****.

An on/off switch would be a great idea IMO.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even recessing the buttons would go a long way to helping.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I put rubber protective jackets over both keys, hoping that would make it harder to accidentally activate one of the buttons, but it didn't eliminate the problem.

I'm concerned that I will inadvertently pop the trunk or roll the windows down, when I am at a motel. This could result in allowing access to my G or damage to the interior if it were raining.

Another solution would be a plastic case that the key slid into where the buttons could not be depressed, while in the case. This would be fine for me since I don't use the buttons on the key. Owner's that prefer to use the buttons don't have to use the plastic case, if they considered it a hassle.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a huge problem for me, I hit the alarm on accident at least a few times a day, i had Infiniti change the key so you have to hold it for a few seconds before the alarm goes off, still no help. I even tried disconnecting the panic button but could not. I saw cases at Infiniti that makes the buttons deeper cause the case is so thick, that is my next mod for sure!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
theaudir8fan

My main issue is that they should integrate a Auto window up function into the lock button, it's not that hard and would make things a lot easier. Also throw the sunroof into the Auto down function while they are at it.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
akochman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a great idea... I have had my windows roll down while i am in my house (luckily nothing was taken from inside the car)... I have had this problem all the way back to my G35 coupe.

I am slightly OCD but I have resorted to checking my windows before i walk away and then waiting to put the keys in my pocket until I am out of range of the remote when I get to school (no accidents )
Old 02-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a lanyard so I just hang them around my neck
Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Modme
I dont think this is a problem specific to the intelligent key. This problem would exist for any car's remote. I've never heard of any car manufactures putting an on/off switch to their remotes, except for 1 or 2 aftermarket security alarms.
Yeah this is a tight pants /other things in my pocket pressing a button on the remote problem, not a smart key problem.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:12 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamedog
Problem:

Pants are too tight.

Solution:

Stop wearing your sister's/wife's pants.

JKJKJK just bustin your *****.

An on/off switch would be a great idea IMO.
After reading the original post, I thought the SAME thing.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 PM
roots4x

You can set the trunk to only open on a double press. You can also disable the panic button or set a longer delay. This would need to be done at infiniti.
I personally never have issues though.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by roots4x
You can set the trunk to only open on a double press. You can also disable the panic button or set a longer delay. This would need to be done at infiniti.
I personally never have issues though.
This.

The service manual shows settings that can be made with the Consult III tool, one of which is to set how the trunk opens. (Im thinking Nissan should just supply every Nissan/Infiniti forum with a loaner Consult III so we can fix things like this )

My salesman told me by default for 2011 they made it press and hold, where it wasnt like that before....said they were getting too many complaints about the trunk opening by accident.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM
zoner

Great idea, would save battery life as well

Quick Reply: Suggested improvement for smartkey