G37 Sedan

rubber smell, could it be the transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Noddy11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it's an age thing because mine smelled on occasion when it was brand new back in September. I ignored it assuming it was something to do with being new, but it still does it intermittently 7000 miles later, not sure why.

I can't see the dealer figuring it out because it's unpredictable and I can't intentionally replicate it, so I just try to pretend it's not there and hope for the best.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 AM
MOB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership's pretty close by, if that scent appears over the weekend, you can bet it'll be my next stop....
Old 02-24-2011, 01:45 AM
MOB

Originally Posted by MOB
Dealership's pretty close by, if that scent appears over the weekend, you can bet it'll be my next stop....
......to avoid the "we can't replicate it" bologna
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Morrissey

Can the guy in FL confirm the idea that the smell only occurs when driving on wet roads?

I believe this could be the winning guess.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:50 AM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I happens guaranteed if you do donuts/drift on a snow covered parking lot. Or even simply hitting the gas hard in the snow. Not sure if its something mechanical or water/snow being sprayed against something hot that creates the smell.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MOB
It didn't work out that way. The smell was so strong one time, I drove to the dealer thinking that they can't miss it. As I pulled into the dealer, the odor was still very strong. I kept the engine on and went into the service department. Few minutes later, came out with a tech. But guess what? The odor was gone!! The tech spent an hour trying to figure out where the odor came from. No luck.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not only this "mystery" smell: Do you guys smell that strong Gas Type odor when starting up Cold. She starts right up, I get that classic Chatter in the 3.7 engine for about 20-30 seconds and I get a strong Gas type smell, not rotten eggs from a Cat Converter, but like a gas/exhaust smell.... When i brought the car last week for the Bring Back on the Tranny issues that I have posted numerously, had them check that - All came back fine. I try to use Shell gas but I have used Hess too. They asked If i use Premium - I Always do.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Saltin
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Almatti
Not only this "mystery" smell: Do you guys smell that strong Gas Type odor when starting up Cold. She starts right up, I get that classic Chatter in the 3.7 engine for about 20-30 seconds and I get a strong Gas type smell, not rotten eggs from a Cat Converter, but like a gas/exhaust smell.... When i brought the car last week for the Bring Back on the Tranny issues that I have posted numerously, had them check that - All came back fine. I try to use Shell gas but I have used Hess too. They asked If i use Premium - I Always do.
Plenty of cars do this, the computer is running the gas extra rich to compensate for the temperature. It should clear up within a minute, and I believe it's completely normal.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:18 AM
SabresFan

09 6MT here - I have this smell intermittently as well. Even when the car was new I smelled it occasionally - usually after getting on the clutch a bit with spirited driving. I just thought it was because of the break in. This winter, I smelled it on somewhat warmer days and thought it might be my snow tires "heating up" a bit.

Interesting that many of us have smelled this - I agree it is more of an "electrical"-type odor vs. tires, but definintely has a rubbery smell to it as well.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltin
Plenty of cars do this, the computer is running the gas extra rich to compensate for the temperature. It should clear up within a minute, and I believe it's completely normal.
Saltin: Thanks for the affirmation. But i didn't smell that on my 07 G35X or on my other cars: 2010 Subbie Legacy or our 2010 CRV (4 cylinder engines). I know there is a extra rich gas burn at cold, but seemed extraordinary to me. I guess no Big Deal.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:36 PM
G37ster

I have a 2009 G37X with about 18K miles on it. I have the same issue with burnt rubber smell. It seems intermittent, but I first noticed it on a long drive on the highway, like after an hour. Now I can smell it sometimes after driving a 1/2 hr. I know one time I had a rodent build a nest in the engine compartment of my previous car and the acorns started to burn.. not sure if this is the case. It is the winter time and the garage is warm....but I brought it to have the oil changed a month ago and the dealer didn't say anything.. I will ask the dealer to check it next oil change
Old 12-17-2013, 09:59 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread.

Did anyone figure out where this smell is coming from?

I noticed it today driving in the snow. 15 min drive, car off for 15 mins, then another 15 min drive, the smell showed up just at the end. I have winter tires, but it did not smell like tires burning.

2009 xS with 91K KM (52Kish mi). I am still running on original tranny and diff fluids.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:37 AM
defektion
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by awais
Sorry to bump an old thread.

Did anyone figure out where this smell is coming from?

I noticed it today driving in the snow. 15 min drive, car off for 15 mins, then another 15 min drive, the smell showed up just at the end. I have winter tires, but it did not smell like tires burning.

2009 xS with 91K KM (52Kish mi). I am still running on original tranny and diff fluids.
I noticed this 'burning smell' too but I can't really exactly pin point the source.
When I check my engine bay I smell it towards the front. When I check the rear near my exhaust I can smell it too.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:50 AM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was just gonna post about this too! I smelled (smelt?) it after driving home in the snow/slush. Wasn't driving fast or sliding around much. I had Snow Mode on and took it easy. I have stock all-season tires and ~38K miles. I backed into my garage and instantly smelled it. Also my front windshield fogged up instantly too! I checked under the hood and smelled it slightly and checked under the car to see if I ran over a plastic bag or something and it's melted onto my exhaust. That wasn't it either. So it's still a mystery to me....anyone figure this out. I'm thinking wet roads has something to do with it...
Old 12-17-2013, 12:06 PM
defektion
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 10Gee37exeS
I was just gonna post about this too! I smelled (smelt?) it after driving home in the snow/slush. Wasn't driving fast or sliding around much. I had Snow Mode on and took it easy. I have stock all-season tires and ~38K miles. I backed into my garage and instantly smelled it. Also my front windshield fogged up instantly too! I checked under the hood and smelled it slightly and checked under the car to see if I ran over a plastic bag or something and it's melted onto my exhaust. That wasn't it either. So it's still a mystery to me....anyone figure this out. I'm thinking wet roads has something to do with it...
I'm assuming wet roads too. The weather has been very warm lately and there's tons of slush and melted snow, so things are probably splashing up. I haven't had the time to check under my car yet.

I drive a 2012 G37x with just over 56,000 KM's (35k miles) roughly w/ Winter Tires.

Quick Reply: rubber smell, could it be the transmission ?