G37 Sedan

rubber smell, could it be the transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:30 PM
MOB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed it lately too....outside the vehicle. Almost smells like heat shrink tubing when you heat it with a torch....more plastic-like than rubber. Smelling something "burnt" kinda worries me actually. I've got to take the car in for excessive wind noise from the rear quarter windows, excessive rear deck lid rattling that is driving me bonkers, and potentially the tranny reflash so I guess I'll just add it to the list.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:50 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
check your coolant overflow,mine was empty.
had a anifreze smell(have a new radiator,so that's not it)
I filled the resivoir & the smell went away.
my .02 is coolant is being burnt up from heater core.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Me three...I get it too...no winter tires here. Seems to smell like a bit of electrical burning/burning clutch after I get on it a bit. I always figured it was the AWD clutches working away. Not that I like it or that it makes me happy...but thats what I figured it was.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
sebounet

Originally Posted by Mike S.
Me three...I get it too...no winter tires here. Seems to smell like a bit of electrical burning/burning clutch after I get on it a bit. I always figured it was the AWD clutches working away. Not that I like it or that it makes me happy...but thats what I figured it was.

So to sum up , almost everyone notice this curious smell. I agree with you , actually the road are dry and i didn't notice the smell. When i use a lot the AWD system and anti skid due to snow, i can smell the burning smell
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 PM
PedroP
Registered Member

I started to notice this burning rubber smell for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Since then it’s happened a couple more times. The first time, I noticed it I had just stopped at a stop sign. The smell was pretty strong at first but had subsided quite a bit before I got home a few minutes later. I checked under the hood and around the wheel wells but couldn't smell anything unusual. I do believe that each time it happened the roads were wet from rain or melting snow. I recently saw on this forum where some folks have reported an unusual amount of steam coming up in front of the car after they drive through a puddle of water. I recently observed this with my car also. Perhaps the two are somehow related since in my case and some others who have reported this; it seems to happen when the roads are wet.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:35 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sebounet
Rubber smell, could it be the transmission ?
Stop doing burn outs!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Morrissey

The guy in Florida has the same issue. So we should ssume it's not weather or tire related.

I have just started to smell this after 2000 miles.

Can we start to rule out different items and note the accurate tells?

Spirited driving is when I smell it. Awd car.
I agree with the op that its most apparent while standing outside the p side door.
I think it smells like it could be tubing, electrical, or?

It is a very concerning smell.
Pls post up more details everyone.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 PM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm also getting this odor from my 09 G37xs sedan but it doesn't seem to be present at all times. It occurs every now and then when I drive the car into my garage. Most times it's not there but when it's there it does seem to smell like overheated rubber. Of course it won't smell if I take the car to the dealer for service and ask them to look into it. Most problems have to be in your face before the dealer will admit to noticeing them.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:43 PM
3BEP6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a coupe with winter tires and my friend has a sedan with stock ones and we both get burning tire smell under regular driving conditions. Brought both to the dealer and all we got back was a shoulder shroud lol
Old 02-23-2011, 12:01 AM
MOB

In my case, NOT after spirited driving. Merely driving to work 30 miles on the freeway between 65-78mph then 4-5 miles of surface streets. Regular A-B commute driving. Got out & smelled it right away at the doors on the driver side. No smoke or anything like that, just the scent of something being singed or perhaps much hotter than it should be. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 AM
MOB

And mine smells more of electrical/plastic vs. tire rubber
Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Morrissey

Originally Posted by MOB
This describes mine as well
Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Morrissey
This describes mine as well
Originally Posted by MOB
Originally Posted by PedroP
I started to notice this burning rubber smell for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Since then it’s happened a couple more times. The first time, I noticed it I had just stopped at a stop sign. The smell was pretty strong at first but had subsided quite a bit before I got home a few minutes later. I checked under the hood and around the wheel wells but couldn't smell anything unusual. I do believe that each time it happened the roads were wet from rain or melting snow. I recently saw on this forum where some folks have reported an unusual amount of steam coming up in front of the car after they drive through a puddle of water. I recently observed this with my car also. Perhaps the two are somehow related since in my case and some others who have reported this; it seems to happen when the roads are wet.
PedroP may be on to something, i first smelled this ODOR - more like heated material than rubber, weeks ago. Also Intermittently - definetely with snow or wet on the road now that you mention it...Not yesterday, not today with dry roads....Curious.. An associate of mine at work, ran a major puddle with theire new MB E350 - water up to the door sill but not into the car during a major rain storm last fall, water got up into the engine compartment _ Bingo Fried MB engine. the car was Totaled by their Insurance company - now they they have a new MB....
Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 PM
sebounet

Originally Posted by Almatti
PedroP may be on to something, i first smelled this ODOR - more like heated material than rubber, weeks ago. Also Intermittently - definetely with snow or wet on the road now that you mention it...Not yesterday, not today with dry roads....Curious.. An associate of mine at work, ran a major puddle with theire new MB E350 - water up to the door sill but not into the car during a major rain storm last fall, water got up into the engine compartment _ Bingo Fried MB engine. the car was Totaled by their Insurance company - now they they have a new MB....
I think you are wright on dry pavement no smell, wathever the way i drive.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
You can me to the list as well. It seems like something that's happening as our cars age.

Quick Reply: rubber smell, could it be the transmission ?