G37 Sedan

The Results of Winter Storm Aftermath

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Results of Winter Storm Aftermath

Since most of the country has had some terrible winter weather, no one has been immune except maybe the Floridians, the last few days have been a welcome reprieve. Finally got the car washed (by my dealer really on a maintenance stop), WHOA.....wait till you the scratches in this "wonderful" Clear coat Paint job. Now I've got a Black car, but even so, wy too many marks. That is Freakin aweful. In the hood, roof, rear and front quarter panels. I have two fine line white ones in the rear roof at the windshield line - probably from rubbing the ice scraper, But Come On. This was supposed to be better than my 07 G , but it's not, it's worse IMO.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My first few swirl marks came from the dealer wash. They are better than a drive through wash but they manage to wash a car in 15 mins...which is way too fast. During the winter I only use the regular snow brush if its hard snow or ice on the car, but never make contact on the paint. To brush off the remainder I use a bench brush made from horsehair...its very soft. With Zaino polish on the car I don't have to do a lot of brushing, just warm up the car and the snow/ice slides right off. Also I never go through a drive through wash...I hand wash my car when the temp is about 40F.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I make the dealer put it in my computer file NEVER WASH MY CAR.

I had my 500 mile old 2011 G37xS sedan at the dealer to get a new driveshaft and I repeated several times DO NOT WASH THE CAR. And, they followed my instructions.

I would rather have a dirty car that I know is pretty much mar free underneath the dirt, than a clean car that I cant stand looking at because they dealer threw in a few swirls for free.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Black car + dealer wash = swirls and marring

Black car + winter salt residue + owner inflicted damage + dealer wash =
Old 02-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The day I stop washing and cleaning my own car is the day I stop caring about it.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I try washing my own car but i think i do a horrible job. I work near a rock quarry and the constant dump truck traffic leaves my car dirty from top to bottom. And dont let it rain... It's like a layer of mud stuck to the car and if you leave it on too long it hardens so Im sometimes left with no choice but to go through a car wash. If not I'll be hand washing my car 5 times a week. No way. I've pretty much given up on keeping my paint imperfection free. I will NEVER get a black car again.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 AM
burningembers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I don't like it when the dealer washes my car - it generally ends up pretty crappy.

I'm not sure what its like where everyone else is, but my dealer has a soft-brush drive-through car wash on the lot that they use. And it is awful.

I'll have to tell them not to wash my car next time so I can just do it myself...
Old 02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bo2point0
The day I stop washing and cleaning my own car is the day I stop caring about it.
You are in Houston, your NOT washing and waxing your own car in the Northeast - not this winter. You guys don't know what road salt, snow, ice, and freezing rain really is. But you Do know Humidity in the summertime, when the livin' is Easy ...LOL.

But it's not just the Dealer wash that is contributing to the scratches (the swirls I can understand - very difficult to find really Brushless Car washes in my area) it's the Paint Job on these cars....
Old 02-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Spathic

Sadly, poor paint job is well documented on the newer G's. My car isn't even a year old yet, and I've got swirl marks everywhere. I would have hapily dished out another few grand if Infiniti used quality paint and clearcoat.

Just drive it at night so it still looks sexy =)
Old 02-18-2011, 01:34 PM
009g4me

Ugh, I live in Dallas and we only had a week of winter weather but I hand washed my car and found numerous scratches in my paint..not a good look. I agree on skipping the dealer washes, I wont even go to Simonize or other places..they broke the cupholder in my fx and I rewarded them with a nice $350 Infiniti bill to replace it. (sorry to get off track).
Old 02-18-2011, 01:42 PM
burningembers

Originally Posted by Spathic
Sadly, poor paint job is well documented on the newer G's. My car isn't even a year old yet, and I've got swirl marks everywhere. I would have hapily dished out another few grand if Infiniti used quality paint and clearcoat.

Just drive it at night so it still looks sexy =)
Are these bad enough that they won't buff/wax out?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:08 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by Spathic
Same situation with me
Old 02-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Alex57r

This is my third G and my fourth infiniti. Infiniti paint is very soft and chips and scratches very easily.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:07 PM
ohsogood

I have the same problems as everyone else with their black car.
The thing is once you polish it and buff out all the scratches, it is very important to properly wash your car. The dealers use one bucket and re-use the same wash cloth in the dirty soapy water. This is just going to pick up the contaminants and just rub it into the paint. Like the others mentioned, don't ever let the dealer wash your car. They will just scratch the hell out of your car.
I just had a layer of the chemical they place on the ground before the snow comes in all over my car. I had a ton of work to do but it's definitely worthwhile to take care of it and then maintain it.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...cs-inside.html

I'm sure everyone knows but read detailedimage.com. They are very informative and that's where I learned the importance of washing your car properly.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:10 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My G was well kept in the garage and was hand washed 4 times this winter. No added scratches.

But my other cars parked on the street are not so lucky.

Even after 3 weeks of hibernation in the snow, and today is 69F outside, the snow is still not fully melt.

3 weeks ago:

Today:

The car is full of salt and the rotors are rusty. It will take a lot of work to detail it back to shine.

Quick Reply: The Results of Winter Storm Aftermath