G37 Sedan

New owner with qestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Heatseeker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner with qestions

New proud owner of G37s sedan, I was originally looking for a 08-09 black G37x sedan, after looking around for a bit, I settled on a lightly used 2010 G37s Liquid Platinum sedan. I can only say this car is awesome; it is a joy to drive.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
I am looking into installing a cold air intake, specifically the Injen CAI. The Injen website only lists intake available for the coupe, no sedan. Does anyone know if this will fit the sedan? Also how does this affect the engine tone, doe is sound rice? And how hard is it to get to the air filters for servicing?
<o></o>
Thanks!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 PM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you really want a cold air intake when you're living in Maryland? The slightest rainy weather on the road and say bye bye to new car.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:31 AM
roots4x

Are you going after performance enhancement? I'd say a cold air intake is useless on our engines compared to stock in that regard.

If you're going for sound, I heard you can get the midpipe for the coupe which will give it that classic Z/G35c/FX35 warble.

I'd stay stock on the intake just for the risk/reward factor.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:36 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roots4x
Are you going after performance enhancement? I'd say a cold air intake is useless on our engines compared to stock in that regard.

If you're going for sound, I heard you can get the midpipe for the coupe which will give it that classic Z/G35c/FX35 warble.

I'd stay stock on the intake just for the risk/reward factor.
+1 CAI is ok for sound but not much else.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 AM
llee916

Stillen Generation 3 CAI dynoed 14 more horsepower for the G37 sedan. Seems like it's worth it to me. Not sure about Injen tho.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:10 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NonAme
you really want a cold air intake when you're living in Maryland? The slightest rainy weather on the road and say bye bye to new car.

I really have to stop you and ask you not to spread mis information. I have my intakes in the lower bumper. I can tell you I have driven 1000's yes that is 1000's of miles in some of the worst rain you will ever see no issues. The only way you get into issues is if you are in standing water and the intakes are submerged. So my question to you is when was the last time you thought it a good idea to drive through 1 foot of standing water?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Uh yeah where exactly did you hear this? Wherever you did, it's blatantly wrong. Like Shumby said, you would have to be in standing water deep enough to submerge the filters, which at that point if you drove through water that deep you deserve it.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Welcome, nice to see another MD G owner on the forums. I won't get into the whole intake vs. stock air box debate but what I will mention is that on my old Altima SE-R (VQ35) I had an issue once with water fouling the maf sensor.

I had an AEM cold air intake installed and it went down inside the bumper pretty close to the road and right behind the fog light. There was a lot of rain that day and the filter got wet and started pulling in little droplets of water onto the maf. Luckily I was just about home because it went into limp mode and couldn't rev above 2500rpm. Took everything apart and notice droplets of water inside the intake tube and the maf looked damp. Dried it out with maf cleaner and all was well. My only experience with that, but it happened. Most likely due to the design of the AEM on that car.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Heatseeker

Hey thanks for the replies, this is a great forum.

I did some searching and some claim a 14 hp increase.

Like shumby said I don’t think water is an issue, unless you are in deep water. These filter are designed to keep water out of the intake, you’ve go to lube them as required. I guess my real question is how hard is it to service to service the air filter since they are so far down and what t kind of sound change does it have, is it a lower or higher pitch sound?

I have an email into Ijen to see if it will fit the sedan, hopefully they’ll respond.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by llee916
Stillen Generation 3 CAI dynoed 14 more horsepower for the G37 sedan. Seems like it's worth it to me. Not sure about Injen tho.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:12 AM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shumby
I really have to stop you and ask you not to spread mis information. I have my intakes in the lower bumper. I can tell you I have driven 1000's yes that is 1000's of miles in some of the worst rain you will ever see no issues. The only way you get into issues is if you are in standing water and the intakes are submerged. So my question to you is when was the last time you thought it a good idea to drive through 1 foot of standing water?

Well i have considered once on my 05 g35x to get a cold air intake. But was advise against it for this particular reason. I live in jersey so we do sometime have to run through up to a feet of water during really bad days of raining. Since the intake are place extremely low to the ground to collect colder air, it doesn't take much to run into deep water enough to pass the honey comb plastic guards on the bumper. Maybe how i reply was alil forward to OP questions but i disagree on that it's mis information. The risk is there if you live in the northeast
Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 PM
llee916

For Stillen Gen 3 CAI, the filters are placed directly behind the grill. There are also these covers that come with the intake when you buy it, I believe. These covers will cover the front area of the filters directly exposed behind the grill. Check out Stillen's website on this.

As for servicing, you just have to disassemble the plastic cover under the hood to reach your intake filters to remove and replace them. Or you can clean them with a special solution that some sell.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:16 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
i can vouch for the injen cold air intakes. i have them
the only way you'll hydrolock your engine is by completely submerging either filters in water, completely. the misnomer is rather annoying.

oh yeah, and NO cutting! in my opinion, the location of the injens is safer than that of the stillens. injens produce power throughout the powerband, while stillens produce all whp @ higher rpms. no doubt that both are great products. the coupe injens fit the sedans, by the way.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shumby
this.

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
Uh yeah where exactly did you hear this? Wherever you did, it's blatantly wrong. Like Shumby said, you would have to be in standing water deep enough to submerge the filters, which at that point if you drove through water that deep you deserve it.
this.

Originally Posted by Heatseeker
Hey thanks for the replies, this is a great forum.

I did some searching and some claim a 14 hp increase.

Like shumby said I don’t think water is an issue, unless you are in deep water. These filter are designed to keep water out of the intake, you’ve go to lube them as required. I guess my real question is how hard is it to service to service the air filter since they are so far down and what t kind of sound change does it have, is it a lower or higher pitch sound?

I have an email into Ijen to see if it will fit the sedan, hopefully they’ll respond.
and this.

sorry OP, didn't see these posts. as far as servicing them...well, you'll either have to pull the entire bumper off, or reach in through the lining (probably best if you take the wheels off). i can't see how it'd be any easier than the stillens (although i guess you wouldn't have to take the entire bumper off). as far as pitch - sounds 100% stock until you step on it. i was rather surprised by other reviews that claimed the car to "scream" after the intakes. i can now tell you however that those claims are...true
Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The risk is there if you live in the northeast
I don't know where you live in NJ but I'm in Bergen County. Are you living in the Rain Forest region of the the state.
I've never considered the northeast a rainy section of the country. But maybe you are originally from another part of the Country with a much dryer climate. Just my opinion.