G37 Sedan

MAJOR Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:38 PM
bocaytomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation MAJOR Electrical Issue

I'm pretty sure my electronics are gone! As I posted b4 it started with my radio failing to turn off, this was fixed by resetting the battery. But I was actually able to trace the source of this to a defective key FOB, dont ask me why or how but whenever I used compared to the other key the cars radio doesnt turn off. So the other day i was driving it was a pretty bright day and the screen kept changing from night mode to day mode, a it did this in unison with the outside lights as well, they just going on off on off so i turned everything to the off position to avoid unwanted attention. Then yesterday I turned of my car but the back position lights remain turned on! and their almost flickering the light output would vary. And please do not recommend me to undo the Neg terminal as I left it an entire day without it connected. As you may be wondering as to why i havent taken it to the dealer is because i have test pipes on the car so my warranty would get voided the second i bring it to the dealer. If here is nothing i can do i will have to return the cats but im somewhat trying to avoid that.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:06 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Under the Magnuson–Moss Act, dealers can't automatically void your warranty regarding the electrical system just because you have test pipes.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Test pipes have squat to do with the electrical system and nothing whatsoever to do with an electrical problem. Take your car to the dealership now. Your warranty is fine except for the exhaust system. If you're that worried, put your cats back on first.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As others have said, because of mods the dealer BY LAW CANNOT void the warranty of your car. Ther is nothing you can do that will void the entire warranty. Take it right now. The electrical system and the test pipes have nothing in common and therefore have no warranty connection
Old 02-06-2011, 05:28 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
The electrical warranty wont be voided.

BUT, if they see the cats missing, they CAN void the engine warranty.
If there were aftermarket HFCs, then they would have to prove the cats caused an engine problem.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:07 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What year is your car? Have you done anything else to the car besides altering the exhaust?
Hopefully it is just your key fob that has gone bad.
I've never read of this happening to any other G on these forums. That's why I was wondering if you or anyone else might have messed with anything else on the car that might have caused your problem.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM
bocaytomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, after the responses i read up on my warranty and no where does it state that they will VOID my warranty, it only says that it wont be covered. Here's the thing the car is leased, so i dont technically own it, so does the argument still apply?