G37 Sedan

Rust spots on the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:07 AM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So...is this problem limited to just the trunk or are others seeing it elsewhere?
It doesn't seem to be limited to just one color, so it's not just a bad batch from the vendor of that color (but it could be a bad batch of clearcoat, among other things)

Maybe the factory process for painting the trunk is different than the rest of the car, and if so, getting another trunk from the factory (before they figure out and fix the problem) is probably not the best solution.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Originally Posted by clutch5
So...is this problem limited to just the trunk or are others seeing it elsewhere?
It doesn't seem to be limited to just one color, so it's not just a bad batch from the vendor of that color (but it could be a bad batch of clearcoat, among other things)

Maybe the factory process for painting the trunk is different than the rest of the car, and if so, getting another trunk from the factory (before they figure out and fix the problem) is probably not the best solution.
Likely not painted separately. They usually have the trunk, hood and doors attached and then soak the whole car into tank to prepare to be painted and then painted by robot arms. However, since the trunk is very likely not aluminium, there's always a chance that it's contaminated and starts rusting. I encourage people to keep an eye on their trunk lid, and notify the dealer and corporate when they see rust. That's the only way they'll treat the defect seriously.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 PM
disarm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was drying my car after a quick wash this afternoon and noticed one of these tiny rusts spots on my trunk lid, just to the right of the Infiniti emblem. i'll have to look at it more closely soon and figure out if it is an easily removed iron filing like someone else mentioned or actual rusting of the trunk lid. if it's not easily removed, i'll definitely be heading to the dealer considering that i got my graphite shadow '10 G37x coupe brand new six months ago.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:34 PM
gloves

Originally Posted by devil2k
2010 G37x, bought it brand new and it hasn't been 3 months. I only have 2500 km on the car and several (5~6) rust spots started to appear on the rear trunk already on the same surface as the emblem. At the beginning of the winter, I even applied sealant so the rust must be coming out from the inside.

$50,000 CAD car rusted in 3 months. That's pathetic...

I'm going to ask them to replace the trunk, I don't want it repainted because they likely won't apply the self-healing clear coat. Anyone else experienced this before?
Hi, most cars now have metallic brake pads. The metal particles from your own brakes and others on the road settle on your car, especially on the rear. When you add road salt to the equation the metal particles begin to rust and stick badly. Meguiars clay bar/spray kit easily removes them. These rusty looking spots are more visible on lighter colors. You will see these rust spots on the painted rubber and plastic on your car. We all know plastic does not rust. It is fall-out. Infiniti is a great car. Fall-out happens to all vehicles. Ron
Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 PM
stardust
Premier Member

When I took delivery of my 09 it had rock chips all over the rear bumper & trunk lid. I noticed it a week after I got it and was debadging it. The dealer made things right (after doing a LOT of complaining) by repainting the affected parts. Mine was rusting a lot worse & in more places then yours but the dealer should handle it.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:15 PM
TomsG37

Took my car in today to get some stuff fixed before its 1 year anniversary. Just got a call back, they are going to repaint the trunk and I get a loaner car for 4 days. Thank you Ericksen Infiniti.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:15 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

I'm still waiting for mine to get back to me
Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 PM
2009G37

Hey, is the door skin also aluminum, or should I worry about rust here too in the future?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:44 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

I talked to my local Infiniti dealership today and sadly they won't replace the trunk lid. She said that I can call Infiniti Canada to talk to them directly. I'll do that one of these days.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:34 PM
TomsG37

Mine's been repainted. Silver is supposedly hard to match, but it looks identical to me. All emblems are back in their correct spots. No way to tell it has been repainted except the rust spots are gone.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There was a similar thread over at NICO. All the reports/pics were of trunk rust. Most were getting offered repaint, but I think a couple of folks were pushing upstream to the regional Infiniti rep, with at least some support from their dealer. Don't know if anyone has actually gotten a replacement, but that's what I'd push for. The rust is rising up through the paint, and I'd never again trust the part that did that, no matter how they resurfaced it.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:33 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mudgen
There was a similar thread over at NICO. All the reports/pics were of trunk rust. Most were getting offered repaint, but I think a couple of folks were pushing upstream to the regional Infiniti rep, with at least some support from their dealer. Don't know if anyone has actually gotten a replacement, but that's what I'd push for. The rust is rising up through the paint, and I'd never again trust the part that did that, no matter how they resurfaced it.
Same here, I don't trust non-factory refinish either. The rust came from the inside, who can guarantee that there's no inpurity or contamination in the trunk lid itself? I bought a brand new G so I could get rid of my previous rust bucket Mazda. I don't deserve a rusted trunk lid on a brand new car that's less than 3 month old.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 AM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also rust one the trunk here (on the bottom lip of the lid, near the brakelights).

Never expected rust on a 2yr old car.......
Old 10-15-2012, 03:08 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just dropped the car off at the dealer, they will be taking care of this.

It should be noted that every G37 loaner on the lot had chipped or rusting paint on the trunk lid above the brake light. EVERY ONE.

Last edited by owslystnly; 10-15-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: (bold, italics, underline added for emphasis)
Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Interesting, I will pay a bit attention next time when I am at the dealer.

Quick Reply: Rust spots on the trunk