G37 Sedan

Rust spots on the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:01 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by devil2k
I went to the dealer today but their warranty advisor wasn't around. In fact, this group of companies owns many dealership, and it seems like they only have ONE warranty advisor for all the dealerships. I talked to the sales consultant that I bought the car from. He took some pictures and said that he's gonna send them to the advisor and let me know what happens next. He said that likely they'll just replace the trunk since the rust appeared before the car is even 3 month old. Of course, it'd be up to the warranty advisor. I won't take repaint as an answer though. Non-factory paint job is just not the same.
If the dealer do not resolve it to your satisfaction, call corporate. GL.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:04 AM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have rust spots on my MW car too. Went to my buddy who is a professional detailer and told me its caused by us not claying the car immediately after we purchase them. He pretty much said that its the debris from when the cars are on their way to the dealers.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:13 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roots4x
Also, are you seriously listening to the salesperson? While there may be a few salespeople who know what they are talking about, the vast majority know just enough to fool the customers who don't know jack about cars. Do not believe anything the salesperson says.
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
If the dealer do not resolve it to your satisfaction, call corporate. GL.
This sales associate always goes the extra mile and tries to help whenever he can. Not all sales people are evil. Of course, he might not be able to help much at all in this case, it's not his job anyway. I'm ready to deal with the warranty advisor myself if she doesn't make it easy for me. It might not even be up to her. What it comes down to is whether Infiniti Canada will be willing to pay for a new trunk. I think they should because it is obviously defected from the factory. Therefore, I'm also ready to deal with the corporate if the warranty claim does not go smoothly.

Who knows, they just might replace my trunk without much problem. Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. Thanks for the advices & support, I'll keep you guys updated.

Oh, and we counted 11 rust spots today on the trunk. Are you guys sure that the trunk is made out of aluminium? Aluminium shouldn't rust...unless it's contaminated...
Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

I know the hood is aluminum (and it says that here 2011 Infiniti G25, G37 Sedan | Specifications | Infiniti USA) but I've never heard anything about the trunk being aluminum and the Infiniti spec page only mentions the hood.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:53 PM
roots4x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I know the hood is aluminum (and it says that here 2011 Infiniti G25, G37 Sedan | Specifications | Infiniti USA) but I've never heard anything about the trunk being aluminum and the Infiniti spec page only mentions the hood.
I don't think the trunk is aluminum. On my old coupe it was definitely steel.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:28 PM
clutch5

Oh, and we counted 11 rust spots today on the trunk. Are you guys sure that the trunk is made out of aluminium? Aluminium shouldn't rust...unless it's contaminated...
A quick touch with a magent will tell whether it's steel.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:42 PM
TomsG37

I won't take repaint as an answer though. Non-factory paint job is just not the same.
I'd be really surprised if replacement trunks can be ordered in a specific color. Most likely will come in primer and have to be painted anyway. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 PM
roots4x

Originally Posted by TomsG37
I'd be really surprised if replacement trunks can be ordered in a specific color. Most likely will come in primer and have to be painted anyway. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
And honestly, a good body shop can do a fine job as long as it's a whole body panel like the trunk. The problems come when it's just part of a panel or if the body shop sucks.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Probably iron filings (rail dust) from transit to the dealer. My wife's truck had them as well. If your car ever spent time on a train getting to it's final destination, this is very common.

The good news is that a clay bar will zip them right off, and then you can just seal/wax with the product of your choice. They shouldn't come back, as these are not rust blooms from corrosion of your car's bodywork.

If you're seeing them "appear", I would guess that the small filings went unnoticed until they rusted and stained the paint. Again, just clay it off.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

And honestly, a good body shop can do a fine job as long as it's a whole body panel like the trunk. The problems come when it's just part of a panel or if the body shop sucks.
That's the problem, there's really no good body shops around here. The only good body shop is probably owned by Lexus
Old 02-01-2011, 10:15 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

That's the problem, there's really no good body shops around here. The only good body shop is probably owned by Lexus

Originally Posted by 15951
Probably iron filings (rail dust) from transit to the dealer. My wife's truck had them as well. If your car ever spent time on a train getting to it's final destination, this is very common.

The good news is that a clay bar will zip them right off, and then you can just seal/wax with the product of your choice. They shouldn't come back, as these are not rust blooms from corrosion of your car's bodywork.

If you're seeing them "appear", I would guess that the small filings went unnoticed until they rusted and stained the paint. Again, just clay it off.
I think a few of the rust spots already cracked the paint and some of them became little bumpbs. I'll see if I can clay it this weekend, but I sealed the paint within weeks after purchase, I saw no rust at the time.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 AM
roots4x

I think a few of the rust spots already cracked the paint and some of them became little bumpbs. I'll see if I can clay it this weekend, but I sealed the paint within weeks after purchase, I saw no rust at the time.
Yeah, in your case, the rust might have grown under the clearcoat and caused those bumps.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Bigred0942

I have the same thing on my 2011, bought it bran new on 11/7/10. Mine arent as big yet, I have about 15 or so spots. My car is also black.
Also, although the specs do say there is a "scratch shield," my 2011 does not have it. My car scratches while drying it.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Bigred0942
I have the same thing on my 2011, bought it bran new on 11/7/10. Mine arent as big yet, I have about 15 or so spots. My car is also black.
Also, although the specs do say there is a "scratch shield," my 2011 does not have it. My car scratches while drying it.
Yes you have Scratch Shield paint. It doesn't prevent scratches, it's a special type of clearcoat that can "repair" small surface scratches if left alone. Parking it out in the sun will cause the clearcoat to repair the scratches faster.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

I had to go in again to see the service manager because the pictures the sales associate took weren't good enough due to recent change of warranty process. First she offered to re-paint the trunk lid, which I kindly refused because factory paint is always better. She said that she understands and mentioned that Infiniti is changing the way they process warranty claim and she will try to see if they can send a painted trunk lid instead. Hopefully she would be able to get me a factory painted trunk lid.

I told her that I'd rather wait to have it properly done. Will keep you guys posted. I suggest that you take yours in if you have the same problem, and refuse to have it repainted if possible. It shouldn't matter to your dealer because the corporate should pay for their defected product. Call the corporate if you have to, this seems like a common problem on the G.

I bought my Infiniti brand new, paid cash, and do not expect to have it repainted within 3 months of ownership and possibly end up with crooked emblem & letters.

Quick Reply: Rust spots on the trunk