G37 Sedan

Anyone else have a cracked windshield for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:52 AM
salerngo45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else have a cracked windshield for no reason

Started my car to warm it up before leaving work and 20 minutes later my windshield was cracked and I had no chips or anything previous. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:59 AM
mj_39

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
we got some cold weather out here in Vancouver BC, and i literally watched my rear window shatter on me. I was pissed!! and guess what Infiniti told me to F off hahah! Wasn't surprised!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:02 AM
AKG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could be thermal stress?
Does your crack look like it can be claimed under warranty: http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/1SJ29.pdf
Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe you should move to Florida. You shouldn't have that problem down here, plus the state insurance law is zero deductible for windshield replacement.
Over the years I've had several windshields replaced. If you use a radar detector, make sure you tell the glass company exactly where you want the rear view mirror placed. They don't always put the mirror back in the same exact location, this can either hinder or help your radar detectors position.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:55 AM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
definitely weather related!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 AM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing you had a small rock chip and didn't realize it. Once weather gets into one of those, it can spread like wildfire. And it doesn't take much of a chip to get started. Chances are you didn't even know you had it.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:26 PM
surfjax87

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You might have had a small chip somewhere and didn't notice it. But even if you didn't it can still happen. Windshield probably cracked due to cyclic loading. Windshield is cold from outside temperatures, turn car on, inside gets warm, windshield expands, turn car off for work or overnight, inside gets cold, windshield contracts. Rinse, lather, repeat. And them bam, cracked

It sucks that that happened. But getting it replaced is usually a no cost deal.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:16 PM
movinon

I just got back fom a 700 mile round trip to Jacksonville,FL.
Had a rock chip the center lower area of the windshield. When it happened the first thing I thought of was I was glad it hit the windshield instead of the hood.
I'm going to see if I can just get the chip filled in so they don't have to pull and replace the glass. It doesn't matter to me money wise since in Florida there is zero deduction for any windshield repair.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 PM
surfjax87

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by movinon
I'm going to see if I can just get the chip filled in so they don't have to pull and replace the glass. It doesn't matter to me money wise since in Florida there is zero deduction for any windshield repair.
I'd try to get that filled in too. Not worth risking a bad seal or something with a new one.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Secret Admire

Originally Posted by surfjax87
I'd try to get that filled in too. Not worth risking a bad seal or something with a new one.
I've the same problem it's very small probably got it on the road, and one of my buddies told me the same thing as these two gentlemen.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:10 AM
movinon

Originally Posted by surfjax87
That's the reason I would rather just have it plugged. I've had other cars where I had chips filled in, that looked okay..
I try my best to avoid getting chips, by spending the least amount of time behind or beside dump trucks etc., but this time the only thing in front of me was a passenger van.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 PM
movinon

I called Geico about my windshield chip. They recommended Safelite and made an appointment for today, to come to the house and fix it, for free.
It took the guy about 30 minutes for the repair. I looked for the repair spot after he left and couldn't find it. The car was in the garage , it will probably be easier to find outside. The chip was close to the center of the windshield, about 6" up from the bottom edge. It wont be in a very visible spot, since it's only about an inch above the top of the dash.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
yeah lowered car, stiffer suspension, hit a bump and boom....force goes into the glass
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Icerider2001

this is actually a very common problem on Subaru's. I had this happen on my Subie...most owners blame the crap glass the Japanese (Lexus aside) automakers use.

I don't really understand how Infiniti doesn't use hydrophobic glass on their vehicles.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Icerider2001
this is actually a very common problem on Subaru's. I had this happen on my Subie...most owners blame the crap glass the Japanese (Lexus aside) automakers use.

I don't really understand how Infiniti doesn't use hydrophobic glass on their vehicles.
You're right about that Lexus glass, but the problem is that it's so expensive to replace that most insurance companies use Brand X. My IS350's windshield was $1,200, and the owner is responsible for paying the difference between aftermarket and OEM if that sucker breaks.

The hydrophobic glass is cool, but not really necessary. I'm guessing Infiniti doesn't use it because it's more expensive - same reason certain parts of our interior are a bit too Altima for my taste.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have a cracked windshield for no reason