G37 Sedan

G37 out of state dealer transfer/swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:01 PM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37 out of state dealer transfer/swap

Anyone get your G37 via out of state dealer transfer or swap?

I imagine there are different costs involved in a swap (e.g. 2-way truck freight) versus a transfer (1-way truck freight).

What were the costs involved (truck freight, title change, probably some other documentation fees?), and how much of those did they bill you for?

Also, if you had previously negotiated a price (e.g. via the ZAG network, where the discounted price is stated to only apply to in-stock inventory), did they still honor that?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 PM
clutch5

Bump...

I figured there wouldn't be many that have done this, but I didn't think it would be none.

Anybody? Even if it's second-hand info, at this point that would be a start.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I started a thread about a month ago asking for opinions on shipping carriers. In the end it was easier, cheaper and more reliable for me to pick the car up myself. Note, I was only 500 miles from the car, and had family nearby the car so I made a trip out of it.

I did not use a local dealer to swap with the remote dealer. I made the deal over email/phone talking to the remote dealer directly.

The quotes I was getting on shipping the car from VA to CT were about 600 or so, from a site where you put your shipping request up for bid (kinda like reverse auction). If I wanted to use a well known carrier (recommended by Corvette Forum), it was about 800 for a closed car carrier.

Id imagine if you wanted the car from a far away place you could do the same....deal over phone/email and have the car shipped. Not 100% sure how the paper work would go, but I would have to think where there is a will there is a way (i.e. far away dealer would find a way to make sure they sell the car!), worst case they could FedEx courier the papers back and forth to/from you.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
i've had bad experiences be patient! wait for your local dealer to get one in. your choice obviously; i've heard of dealers waiving the delivery fee though ($500)? sorry...nothing relevant
Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 AM
clutch5

Thanks, these were helpful comments. If only you could avoid sales tax by making an internet purchase from another state! A $500 delivery charge would be easy to swallow compared to relief from several thousand in sales tax.

Buying from a local dealer would definitely be easier in many ways. The hard part is matching an in-stock car having the colors/options I want, with a good set of incentives/discounts that vary monthly, all timed perfectly with the private-party sale of my current car at a "non-fire-sale" price, and also timed up with good loan rates.

Short of a miracle, those won't all happen simultaneously. Buying from an out of state dealer increases my flexibility in lining things up, so I figured it was something to think about.