G37 Sedan

How far do you go to avoid door dings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:27 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How far do you go to avoid door dings?

I've always been extra careful where I park, to avoid door dings. I'm the guy that always parks as far away as possible from the store, but I never take up more then one spot.
When I bought my G last March, I intended to use it as my daily driver and live with any chips,dents or scrapes it got .
I was still going to be careful how I parked, but every time I am going some where that I know the parking isn't that great, I take my pickup instead.
Sometimes I wonder why I bother to have nice cars, if I'm afraid to drive them to a lot of places.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 AM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
I park far away, never look for a spot up front, I dont park where its clearly marked compact. I try to find a stall thats by itself. And a few times, I'll park my car at an angle to try to avoid a ding.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:39 AM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by movinon
I'm the guy that always parks as far away as possible from the store, but I never take up more than one spot.
I'm the same way and NEVER take up more than one spot. Parking in two spaces is a MORON move and it sometimes incites idiots to vandalize your car just for doing it, even if there are PLENTY of parking spaces...
Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Seems as though no matter how far away you park, many times you come out and damned if there isn't a an SUV or something right next to it.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM
BuzzLY37

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw this dude parked his car and put on his car cover in the parking lot LOL

not a G though.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Greekboy115

Originally Posted by BuzzLY37
Saw this dude parked his car and put on his car cover in the parking lot LOL

not a G though.
That is funny. I think someone should tell him he will most likely end up with more scratches putting on and removing his cover.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:59 PM
SRG

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i park miles away from society..

Name:  1112b2aa.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  63.8 KB
Old 01-26-2011, 01:06 PM
LiquidPlatg37S

Originally Posted by SRG

+1 mee tooo ...
Old 01-26-2011, 01:20 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SRG

Haha - That looks like me.

I go to extreme lengths. I live in so-cal and I NEVER park between two cars (that is a hard task). I only take end spots.

My girlfriend is like, "why wont you valet?" lol, no explanation needed.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:27 PM
colburs

I've had good luck following these rules. I rarely park out in the boonies.

1) Coupes have longer doors. Need more space when parking next to coupes. Look for a sedan, preferably a small sedan like a Civic, Corolla

2) Newer/nicer cars are less likely to ding you. Not always the case but on average it's pretty true.

3) Park on the uphill rather than downhill side of a car. Doors find their own momentum when they are opended downhill. (I think a lot of door dings come form this)

4) If you can park next to a car that's pointing into the wind the door won't catch wind and swing open by itself (I think a lot of door dings come from this too).

5) Never park downhill from a carraige return. Lots of dings happen from runaway carts. Similarly never park in the spot or two adjacent to the return. Lazy people like to aim and push their carts from a distance.

6) I always look for one sided spots, meaning a spot with something like a island, curb, building, etc on one side and a car on the other. You can usually pick up 6-12" by getting real close to the island, curb, etc

7) I hate parking at an uprotected row end, close or far away. Whether it's with their car, a cart or something else people like to cut the corner and may scrape you.

8) Don't park on the side of a car that has a child seat.

9) Minvans aren't that bad because the doors are sliders and there's often not someone using the front passenger seat. If the van has a drivers side slider then kids likely get in on that side so likely there's little to no activity on the passenger side.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Gee37S

Same here. Either park at an end spot and park my wheels on the line on the side where there is no car, leaving a ton of space between me and the car next to me. Never park next to mini vans. Never park next to a coupe that has a seat folded down, that means someone is getting in/out of the back seat and will require the door to be open quite wide. Park in my garage at home, rented a garage to park at school hence avoiding parallel parking in the surrounding area...
Old 01-26-2011, 02:09 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
i got a stupid door ding the first WEEK of purchase i came up on a fat woman with a baby swinging her door open. the weight of her body on the car actually PUSHED it in. i was HEATED. i got over it eventually though. that door ding, seemingly keeps others away. or at least, that's what i keep telling myself lol

i park AWAY from everyone, but again...sometimes, the more effort i make to avoid accidents, the more frequent they become sometimes. it's never ending.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by colburs

1) Coupes have longer doors. Need more space when parking next to coupes. Look for a sedan, preferably a small sedan like a Civic, Corolla

2) Newer/nicer cars are less likely to ding you. Not always the case but on average it's pretty true.

3) Park on the uphill rather than downhill side of a car. Doors find their own momentum when they are opended downhill. (I think a lot of door dings come form this)

4) If you can park next to a car that's pointing into the wind the door won't catch wind and swing open by itself (I think a lot of door dings come from this too).

5) Never park downhill from a carraige return. Lots of dings happen from runaway carts. Similarly never park in the spot or two adjacent to the return. Lazy people like to aim and push their carts from a distance.

6) I always look for one sided spots, meaning a spot with something like a island, curb, building, etc on one side and a car on the other. You can usually pick up 6-12" by getting real close to the island, curb, etc

7) I hate parking at an uprotected row end, close or far away. Whether it's with their car, a cart or something else people like to cut the corner and may scrape you.

9) Minvans aren't that bad because the doors are sliders and there's often not someone using the front passenger seat. If the van has a drivers side slider then kids likely get in on that side so likely there's little to no activity on the passenger side.
LOL - very thorough! Although you can add me to the group. I do the same thing and go through this check list every time in a parking lot, and I'm not even in my G yet (accord coupe)! My fiance yells at me for driving around the parking lot waiting for the right spot. Then, every time I come out I do a bodyline view down both sides to check for any dings. Luckily (not really), I actually found a ding when returning to my car from doing this and noticed red paint transfer. Looked at the POS next to me and sure enough it was red. The part I did not tell the cops was that the door was unlocked and I opened the passenger door and matched up the ding to his doors edge. Long story short the damage was repaired and covered by his insurance form his fat girlfriend getting out.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:54 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by MyocyteX
Haha - That looks like me.

I go to extreme lengths. I live in so-cal and I NEVER park between two cars (that is a hard task). I only take end spots.

My girlfriend is like, "why wont you valet?" lol, no explanation needed.
As do also rather walk then have some azz hat smack my car wth there door.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:33 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by colburs

^^This. I don't understand why some people go through such trouble to find parking. If you get dinged, you get dinged, it's not the end of the world. You try to prevent it, but why waste time about it?

Quick Reply: How far do you go to avoid door dings?