how is your x in the snow?
does it fish tail on turns?
what does the snow button actually do?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1. how is your x in the snow?
SEE: "Snow!!! AWD !!! pretty good..." https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...etty-good.html

2. does it fish tail on turns?
No, I know how to drive in snow.

3. what does the snow button actually do?
SNOW MODE SWITCH:
The snow mode switch signal is sent to the “unified meter and A/C amp.” from the snow mode switch. The “unified meter and A/C amp.” then sends the signal to the ECM via the CAN communication line. The snow mode is used for driving or starting the vehicle on snowy roads or slippery areas. If the snow mode is activated, the vehicle speed will not accelerate as quickly as normal to avoid vehicle slip. In other words, ECM controls rapid engine torque change by controlling the electric throttle control actuator operating speed.

Last edited by DocJohn; 01-26-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) X models are great in snow
2) very very little fishtail if the roads are slippery......but nothing serious
3) the snow button readjusts throttle pedal sensativity such that its less senastive so you dont give too much gas. Also does some voodoo magic on the AWD system...locking the torque 50/50 between front and rear up till 12mph
Old 01-26-2011, 11:23 AM
G37xs2011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for some reason i fishtailed twice..maybe i was giving to much gas
Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The snow button on the G37x does not lock the torque 50/50 between front and rear up till 12mph.
I have yet to see any documentation from Nissan/Infiniti that says it does.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:31 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
awd is great in the ice/snow. it is definitely better than my fwd accord with new tires. our driveway is on a slight incline and right now its covered in ice. where the honda needs momentum to get all the way up the driveway into the garage, the g37x does not.

the manual does say the snow mode function regulates the throttle input so its less sensitive to input from the gas pedal. im not sure about snow mode locking it into awd.
if the awd function of the car instantly transfers power from the rear to the front wheels when it detects slip, what benefit would there be to lock the torque converter so its in awd mode constantly?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Just had the G in the snow for the first time yesterday.

I get a little fish tail but the AWD kicks in and corrects it pretty quickly and always reliably. Taking a little getting used to, actually, coming from a non-electronic 4WD pickup truck.

They both still beat 2WD though
Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM
G37xs2011

the car feels heavier when i have the snow button on
Old 01-26-2011, 12:14 PM
HappyG

I was driving at about 30 mph and all the sudden traffic light ahead turned yellow...i know i could not stop on time so I instinctively stepped on a gas a little to avoid running the red light. It was snowing and the road was icy. Lost control for about 10 seconds...I had to fight hard to avoid the car going into the sidewalk or onto the other side of the road. The car shifted to the left and to the right several times. The slip light was on during this 10 second span. Thanks to the AWD system, I got the car back in control without crashing, eventually.

I have to say, X in the snow is pretty good. If it were not X, my G is already doomed.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:31 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by cvroom
if the awd function of the car instantly transfers power from the rear to the front wheels when it detects slip, what benefit would there be to lock the torque converter so its in awd mode constantly?
Maybe the benefit would be not to get you to resume control after detecting the slip, but to prevent you from slipping in the first place.

I think it would be very nice to have the choice to lock it in 50/50, and not rely on the computer to maybe detect the slip, maybe do something about it, and maybe do it all in time before it's too late.
S#it happens, stuff breaks and malfunctions, or maybe I'm just being paranoid
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37xs2011
the car feels heavier when i have the snow button on
Yes becuase:

SNOW MODE SWITCH:
The snow mode switch signal is sent to the “unified meter and A/C amp.” from the snow mode switch. The “unified meter and A/C amp.” then sends the signal to the ECM via the CAN communication line. The snow mode is used for driving or starting the vehicle on snowy roads or slippery areas. If the snow mode is activated, the vehicle speed will not accelerate as quickly as normal to avoid vehicle slip. In other words, ECM controls rapid engine torque change by controlling the electric throttle control actuator operating speed.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 PM
pro-gadgeter

The X is absolutely fantasticly amazing. I have not fishtailed once its my 2nd winter in it. My dad, who's been driving for about 35 years, loves the AWD system in the G. MY dad has a RWD and my mom has a FWD so my car is the only car that we take out in the snow. I haven't even shoveled my driveway every since i got this car. Its a steep incline but it makes it through. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.
About a month ago we have a snow storm with 2+ feet of snow. City didn't plow the roads , and i was driving the night of the storm and in the morning i dropped my mom off at work. Not a problem. It was extrememly fun driving it in the snow especially laughing at the people with RWD and FWD cars stuck in the snow.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

This is pulled from an archive:
NissanNews

Unless G37 uses a different system which I highly doubt that it does, the Snow Mode button would make the car function as described below highlighted in bold.

How It Works

The ATTESA system is designed for smooth starts, better fuel economy and better traction and maneuverability on snowy roads than conventional all-wheel drive systems and minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance characteristics on dry roads.
The system's advanced torque split control strategy automatically transfers optimum torque to the wheels according to road and driving conditions. It provides outstanding cornering capability similar to a sports car due to optimum torque distribution to the front and rear wheels (from approximately 0:100 up to 50:50).

System sensors continuously monitor vehicle speed, throttle position and wheel spin (at all four wheels). When road conditions don't require AWD, the G35 acts and feels like the award-winning rear-wheel drive G35 sedan, with the system capable of sending up to 100 percent of the power to the rear wheels. By comparison, leading competitive AWD systems with center differential transfer systems limit the amount of available power at the rear wheels to 50 percent (Audi A4 Quattro), 60 percent (Mercedes C-class 4-matic) or 62 percent (BMW 330xi). The G35 thus offers minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance and handling feel.
From a standing start, the ATTESA system adjusts the front-to-rear torque distribution, adding 25 percent to the front wheels for a more powerful start. The system then quickly adjusts torque distribution as needed, sending up to 100 percent to the rear wheels if conditions warrant, or adjusting the front drive percentage up to 50 percent as needed.

In cornering situations, the ATTESA system can detect traction needs throughout the course of a turn and react accordingly. With its millisecond response time, the system can shift toque back and forth between the front and rear wheels to help enhance stability and traction. For example, in entering a corner (under normal driving conditions), the system functions nearly the same as any rear-wheel drive car. Torque distribution is almost 100 percent rear. Once in the corner, the system is able to transfer to the front wheels that portion of the drive torque that the rear wheels can't handle. This results in outstanding, sports car-like cornering ability. When exiting the corner, torque can be quickly transferred according to the wheel spin of the rear wheels from 50:50 up to 0:100 for smooth acceleration out of the turn.

Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.

"Only the all-wheel drive G35 feels like a rear-wheel drive performance sedan, giving the drivers in Northern climates all-season driving enjoyment," said Igo.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 PM
G37xs2011

Originally Posted by pro-gadgeter
It was extrememly fun driving it in the snow especially laughing at the people with RWD and FWD cars stuck in the snow.
what are you a little kid
Old 01-26-2011, 09:51 PM
ballz3
Registered Member

It handles wonderfully in the snow. I also love the fact that it will act a little (ok, a lot) like a rear drive if you want it to. So, if i want to play a little bit, I can throttle it and fishtail a little, but the system kicks in fast and straightens me out. Now, with VDC off, it takes quite a bit longer for AWD to take control and straighten me out.

About the snow button...it is extremely useful and makes the car a lot safer. I don't really ever use it though. It definitely kills throttle response. I highly recommend it if you're not too comfortable in the snow just yet with a rear biased vehicle.

In most conditions (and I have snow tires on it right now) I can punch it from a start and it slips quite a bit and then bites and goes (and much less with vdc off). This doesn't happen at all in snow mode. It just slowly takes off without the slip.

I'm really glad it handles the way it is....because I don't know how many times I've second guessed getting the AWD over the RWD for winter safety.

Quick Reply: Snow...