G37 Sedan

Snow...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by volnedan
Michigan didn't get hit as hard as the rest of the country on Wednesday, but we did get about 6" on Saturday afternoon and it was pretty quick. I have RWD with Alpin winter tires and I had a very hard time getting out of my subdivision since they never plow it. But as long as I take it slow and keep my momentum I can get through it.

My wife's altima got stuck in our street last night, but she does not have the patience for driving in deep snow. She kept gunning the gas pedal which just made the car go sideways. She was stuck for 45 min, but only took me about 2 min of a little rocking back and forth to get enough room to get out.

It still amazes me that people still don't know how to drive in the snow in Michigan unless they have a huge SUV with 4WD. Even then they go 75mph on the freeway while checking their facebook status and drinking a Mocha Latte.
volnedan: I don't mind the mocha latte...that, they can Spill on their own lap...I just don't want to be on the "cover" of Their Facebook page when they hit the guard rails. A lot of Idiots out on the road, particulalry when the weather gets ugly!! That's why they got 4X4s, to show off their "driving talents" in the Snow...

BTW, My G37X has been fabulous in the snow (had a 07 G35X too, got spoiled), I always respect the road conditions and others on the road, drive accordingly, and behave responsibly. When no one is around, i will test it a bit - the G shows excellent traction capabilities, and qwith Traction Control & Stability Control which my 2001 Pathy did nOT have, it is probably better !!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:08 PM
G37ster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say my 09 G37X is pretty good in snow covered road. I took some turns, it can fishtailed a little, but then just pulls forward where I steer towards. No sweat, kinda fun. I was going to post her on how impressed I was but decided to hold off. It obviously doesn't do well in deep snow, as I've gotten stuck and had to reverse out.

Finally, I have to say they are not good on ice at all, maybe it's the RSA's. Today we had freezing rain the central MA. I was driving in the middle of a 3 lane highway (I-495)when my car lost all traction, and started to slide left. I drifted sideways into the left lane, facing the other side of the highway, then slid (like slow motion) the other way, across the middle lane into the right lane, sideways the other way (facing the emergency lane), then swung back over to the middle lane, then to the right lane, into the rumble strip (By now, I thought I was going into the snow bank), back to the middle lane and straighten out. I continued driving onward, much slower now, thinking I was glad, for some unusual reason, there were not many cars on the road.... (I am going to guess there was some holdup/accident before the exit I got on, limiting the traffic)

I think the fact that this is a RWD primarily, it is easy for the car to get "pushed" and once you lose traction, it doesn't matter at that point you have AWD. You just steer gradually in the direction you need to go, foot off the gas, until you gain traction or you hit something. Maybe a front wheel drive is better because it pulls, or AWD that transfers more power to front than just 50/50. From now on, I am going to be very caution in ice conditions with my G, and think about better tires....Any recommendations?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:06 AM
KLB

Get some winter tires and another set of summer tires. The RSAs are garbage.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:05 PM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From 3 years of Michigan Snow experience (especially from this past brutal Winter) I've gotta say that putting a good set of Snow Tires on my 2008 G35x Sedan was one of the best choices ever! I got really good traction and was able to feel confident that I would maintain such traction through the variety of conditions. There were plenty of times I saw people spun out or stuck on the sides of the road, but I never had a problem, even in 12+inches of snow!

The 'Snow' Mode button only reduces throttle sensitivity, and I kinda wish we had a system similar to Subaru's or Audi's Quattro which splits power 50/50 if you choose; I think the old literature from Infiniti says that it splits power(torque) 50/50 because in the old 'X' Sedan there used to be a dedicated 'Snow' button, from what I remember.

If you REALLY get stuck in snow, just turn off VDC and lay down the pedal to get out of a stuck position.

Fishtailing is normal before the ATTESA System initiates 50/50 Torque Split, which in my opinion is the downfall of the system. I hope they incorporate the GTR's Super ATTESA System one day for optimum traction.

The trade off for having slip in order to activate AWD is in good weather we get RWD-Performance! So there are pros/cons to the ATTESA system.

That's why in good weather, our cars handle beastly, similar to RWD cars!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Nonesuch

Question

Originally Posted by KLB
Get some winter tires and another set of summer tires. The RSAs are garbage.
If I were planning to get a cheap set of rims to mount snow tires, can I just find a set of cheap Honda rims with the right offset?

Seeing as the Honda/Nissan drivers keep stealing Infiniti rims for their ricers, why not return the favor?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:13 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Dj farhan

hahaha we have come a long ways