Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:46 PM
G37xs2011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my girlfriend has an is250 awd now that car is great in the snow
Old 01-28-2011, 03:27 AM
Noddy11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My G did great in what was the most ridiculous driving event ever last night here in the DC area. Tons of stories of people taking 8 and 9 hours to get home. People were stuck everywhere, abandoned cars, people wiping out left and right, general mayhem.

I had no problems at all in the snow and ice, uphill and down. If the car could just fly then I would have got home in a reasonable time, rather than the 3 hours it took me to go about 15 miles. Maybe one day.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:53 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by devil2k
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. G37x and the newer 2007-2008 G35x have a lot in common. If they never changed the design, why would they need to publish it again again then again? If they came up with something new or ground breaking, sure they'll try to advertise it as much as they can. It wouldn't make sense to throw away a proven design.
In both the legal and medical/scientific world, evidence is required for proof.
The question you should be asking is: ”Why is there no mention whatsoever in any G37 FSM (or owner’s manual) of the snow switch affecting power transfer to the front wheels when the FSMs provide unabridged, comprehensive information on every other aspect of the function, problem diagnosis, and repair of the G37?

The only logical answers are:
1. Infinti (has repeatedly) forgotten or neglected to include this important aspect of vehicle operation information in the FSM, or
2. The snow switch does not affect power transfer to the front wheels.

I pick #2.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Jayhawk815

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DocJohn
In both the legal and medical/scientific world, evidence is required for proof.
The question you should be asking is: ”Why is there no mention whatsoever in any G37 FSM (or owner’s manual) of the snow switch affecting power transfer to the front wheels when the FSMs provide unabridged, comprehensive information on every other aspect of the function, problem diagnosis, and repair of the G37?

The only logical answers are:
1. Infinti (has repeatedly) forgotten or neglected to include this important aspect of vehicle operation information in the FSM, or
2. The snow switch does not affect power transfer to the front wheels.

I pick #2.
Agreed. I, too, have never found any official information stating that snow mode does anything but control throttle, and I have searched exhaustively.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Too bad there isn't a Nissan/Infiniti drivetrain engineer lurking around here... I have a question into their customer service just to see if they can shed some light on the 50/50 torque distribution thing.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayhawk815
Agreed. I, too, have never found any official information stating that snow mode does anything but control throttle, and I have searched exhaustively.

If you play with the snow mode switch, I find that the throttle is affected and at lower speeds (somewhere I read at up to 12 miles per hour), I feel the gearing is ata higher gear than normal (w/o the Snow Mode engaged). My verdict is that it does affect both the throttle and the tarnny at lower speeds - I don't know w/o an experiment on a snow covered road -where you can "play" with these modes to determine the affect on AWD - in the X Gs.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:35 PM
One Sweet G37XS

I agree with others the car is increadble in the snow. Raced a 911 C4 the other day. He was driving around everyone and leaving them behind in a snow storm. I worked my way up to him and got a red light. Both of us side by side at the light I wasn't going to go any faster than the speed limit. The long and short of it all he could see were my tail lights as I left him behind of course toghter we left everyone in the dust but made my point. I have done alot of mods and this thing is a rocket now have to say. I have no idea what my w hp is but she is fast.

Yes it does fishtail a little if you are to hard on the petal, its snow just lighten up a little and you will go like the wind. As the others say Love my G on my second one.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 PM
zoner

OK, time to revive this thread with the 10 inches of snow we got yesterday. While the G made it through my unplowed street, it was definitely tough when the snow clogged up under the car and the ruts tended to guide the car off in unintended directions. Felt a little floaty at times too. But made it through and out to the main road. Took my Accord out in it and it didn't have the four wheel traction but also didn't feel as floaty. Probably due to the narrower tires. If I were driving the G all winter, definitely would invest in narrower snow tires. I think it would then be like a tank.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
YouTube - America Suffering through Winter Storm
Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 PM
zoner

Originally Posted by gugarci
I had no issues either. My normal commute home from Parsippany that normally takes me about 35-40 min took me about 1 1/2 hour.

But I'm using a RWD G with Blizzak's. I used the Dunlops on my previous 08xS and they were OK in the snow. But seriously if you have the space to swap out your tires use dedicated winter tires. The improve braking performance alone make them worth while.
So which setup do you like best? AWD with all season or rear drive with snows?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
AWD with snows!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:23 AM
zoner

OK, AWD with snows. Partly the reason I got AWD is to avoid the hassle of storing and mounting tires. If I were going the snow tire route I would get a front driver with snows. Did that before and had no problems going thorough 10" drifted roads.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:47 PM
volnedan

Michigan didn't get hit as hard as the rest of the country on Wednesday, but we did get about 6" on Saturday afternoon and it was pretty quick. I have RWD with Alpin winter tires and I had a very hard time getting out of my subdivision since they never plow it. But as long as I take it slow and keep my momentum I can get through it.

My wife's altima got stuck in our street last night, but she does not have the patience for driving in deep snow. She kept gunning the gas pedal which just made the car go sideways. She was stuck for 45 min, but only took me about 2 min of a little rocking back and forth to get enough room to get out.

It still amazes me that people still don't know how to drive in the snow in Michigan unless they have a huge SUV with 4WD. Even then they go 75mph on the freeway while checking their facebook status and drinking a Mocha Latte.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

getting a few inches early morning tomorrow
Old 02-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Quick Reply: Snow...