G37 Sedan

Can't decide between Graphite Shadow and Black!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:52 PM
erical77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't decide between Graphite Shadow and Black!

I am surprising my husband with a 2011 G37 sedan next month (for his birthday) and I've negotiated a great deal on a black/stone with premium, kick plates, etc (MSRP is $39,140 and selling price is $31,990) that I've put a deposit on to purchase on 1/31.

Anyways, I'm hung up on the color and wonder if I should get graphite shadow (with stone - I definitely want stone interior - kids won't ride in this car much). We are not car people - we are getting rid of a 2001 Silver Honda Accord sedan for this year that we've had 9 1/2 years. Our other car is a 2006 blue/green Honda Pilot (with gray leather). This time around I wanted to get a "nice" car.

We've never owned a black car and everyone keeps saying there is more upkeep for it to look nice (keep in mind we are not car people, so we don't religiously wash them!). I do plan on having a clearbra installed. And I see black everywhere, so I thought the graphite would be a nice change.

I want it to look classy and sleek (and expensive, LOL). Windows will be tinted.

Any thoughts? I need opinions!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:55 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both colors look classy.

Black will require significantly more upkeep to look good. That's because it shows dirt and scratches much more easily.

But black does look great when the car is clean and the paint is is flawless condition. You can see that I didn't get black by my signature. That's because I vowed never to buy another black car after owning one for 3 years.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Chico

Originally Posted by MSCA
Both colors look classy.

Black will require significantly more upkeep to look good. That's because it shows dirt and scratches much more easily.

But black does look great when the car is clean and the paint is is flawless condition. You can see that I didn't get black by my signature. That's because I vowed never to buy another black car after owning one for 3 years.
I agree, Black is hard to keep clean and mantain. Ironically I got black because my girl chose the color, and it really grew on me. Car looks awesome in Black. I'm really happy with the decision. So, my vote is Black.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:07 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same dilemma between black and graphite shadow. I originally wanted black, my wife wanted graphite shadow. After a weekend of thinking it over, I took the wife's advise and I'm happy I did. Ended up with Graphite Shadow Ext and Graphite Int.

If you don't plan to wash religiously, graphite shadow is easier to keep.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:18 PM
G_Spot_37

I got Graphite Shadow/Graphite with wood accents (maple looks great) right after Christmas. While negotiating prices at several dealers, I was told that they were overstocked with black sedans, and were really desperate to get rid of them especially because it was the end of the year (best time to buy actually) and that getting a good deal on a black car is a lot easier than any other color including graphite. Your price sounds terrific...if you have Navigation package, it is just unreal... I wonder/doubt they would have given you the same price on Graphite....black looks very nice if taken good care of....Good luck!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Graphite shadow was my backup plan if my deal on a Limited Edition sedan fell through. I like Graphite shadow a lot, but the wife has an anthracite gray TL, and to me the colors seemed similar (if not the same), and I wanted to be different.

Luckily the deal didnt fall through and my car is now Malbec Black (and sitting on the dealers lift waiting for a new driveshaft )
Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 PM
G37xs2011

i got graphite shadow/black because i had a black c-class and wanted something different..black looks good but always shows a lot of dirt..but the g looks awesome in graphite shadow
Old 01-25-2011, 04:39 PM
jarborn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had 3 black cars and one white.. I choose Platinum Graphite on the infiniti because to be honest i got tired of keeping a Black car clean.. The irony is i miss the black and wish i had gotten it, nothing beats a sparkling clean black car..

I'd say if you live in the northeast (like me) or somewhere where there is snow go with the Graphite Shadow...

The salt makes it nearly impossible to keep any car let alone a black car clean..

Good luck.. Post pics when you get it!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:05 PM
xyz
Registered Member

If you won't wash your car often, then lighter shades would help in terms of making the car "appear as" it is clean.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a reason why Tuxedos only come in black.

Because black is the most classy color.

Also most Limousines are generally black as well.

My last 3 cars were black on black, they are not as bad as people say they are to keep looking clean.

Black= classy
Red= sporty
White= old people
Old 01-25-2011, 05:10 PM
BLKG37X

First off, let me say that a G is a wonderful birthday gift, your husband is a lucky guy.
As to the color... I have black. Black has and always will look classier than any other color (that's why most limos are in fact black). When my car is clean, it looks beautiful. But when you come closer to it, you can spot the tiny surface scratches, swirls and other imperfections in the paint, even though I try to take good care of my car. If you're not planning to wash and polish regularly, get the graphite or even silver. Both look good unwashed and hide scratches better than black.
As to the interior, personally, I would not get stone. For some reason, stone and tan dashboards looks cheaper than black. The dash surface has large grains and every color other than black just doesn't look right to me, it looks a bit rubbery. I would get Graphite with black interior.
But either way, he will be pleased.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:10 PM
G37xs2011

Originally Posted by Bo2point0
There is a reason why Tuxedos only come in black.

Because black is the most classy color.

Also most Limousines are generally black as well.

My last 3 cars were black on black, they are not as bad as people say they are to keep looking clean.

Black= classy
Red= sporty
White= old people
Black= classy
Red= sporty
White= old people
Graphite Shadow= All of the above
Old 01-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by G37xs2011
Black= classy
Red= sporty
White= old people
Graphite Shadow= All of the above
So a classy sporty 90 year old?

Ill stick with black thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
OP - if you are not car people as you say, nor will you wash/wax the car regularly, then your best bet is the graphite shadow. black does look good, but only when the paint is well maintained.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 PM
G37xs2011

I never said anything about black...black looks great on cars but I personally needed a change to a different color..that's all and I'm loving it

Quick Reply: Can't decide between Graphite Shadow and Black!