G37 Sedan

New PR! 4.9 0-60, 13.33 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 02:43 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
New PR! 4.9 0-60, 13.33 1/4 mile

I am so amped, I haven't done any 1/4s in a while on my 'personal' drag strip, but I just updated my Hypertech tuner with the latest software build and thought, what heck, why not go and get a dynolicious run with the new build.

Now, here are my caveats - I always time at the same piece of road, start at the exact same place every time (I have it marked off), and usually try to have right around the same weight/gas in the tank every time as well (and tonight was no different). I worked really hard to get as an exact measurement of weight for my G as possible and I've factored in gas weight, child seats, sub in the trunk, my weight - everything I could think of, and the iPhone sits in an expensive, permanently attached cradle - very secure.

Anyway, DA was great tonight - 38 degrees and zero humidity and I am at around 200 feet above sea level. Plus, the new tune seemed really responsive so I had hopes of breaking my previous best of 5.14 for 0-60 and 13.55 1.4. And boy, did I - had a perfect launch, minimal wheel hop and spin (for me, lol!) and the car just took off like a freaking rocket.

After I finished, I looked down at the dyno app when I finished my run and lo and behold what did I see? a 4.93 0-60 and a 13.33 1/4 @ 107 mph!

Hard to believe, I know, but I have consistently been getting in the low 5's for a while - 5.1 and 5.2 and around 13.5-6 for the 1/4. Tonight's run was perfect - best launch I ever had, best 60', great temps, great humidity, and a new, tweaked software /ECU build from Hypertech. Or at least I assume as much - previously my tuned ECU always emitted this terrible shriek everytime it got near redline, but tonight the shriek was absent. Also, with my Hypertech I've always had an odd little dip in power on the 3-4 shift, but tonight the graphs showed that was gone.

Now, of course the this is not a timed track, but my internal variables have always stayed the same, so it is perfectly legitimate to measure my advances by looking at the variations between my different runs, between the new Hypertech build and the weather and my engine probably settling in (24k miles now), I know that, at the very least, I knocked almost 2 seconds of my 0-60 and my 1/4 time tonight.

4.9! It's about GD time, I have been trying forever to break 5 and I couldn't be more please with my car. I love my hypertech - what a ggreat bang for the buck. I remember my first stock runs hovered around 5.5-5.6, and I was so bummed, coming from a big V-8 sedan.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 AM
smashhell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What dyno app you use, and does it really work ?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:04 AM
llee916

Are you using an iPhone timer app to get your times? I tried one of those and it was very inaccurate - but your numbers sound pretty accurate. Nice run. 4.9 secs is matching the 335i, IS350 and maybe the A4??
Old 01-24-2011, 04:19 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^is350 is slower and so is the a4 by a long shot. The 335 is in that range from the launch.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:48 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
that sounds about right. dynolicious is awesome! by the way, open...can I ask why you went with hypertech over say, uprev/Osiris?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:48 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
sorry...can't edit on my phone. *op, not open
Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
try on a real track to get comparable numbers but it sounds like a fun app
Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Hmm nice!! ,To bad I can not use the HT.. :/.. Still nice numbers.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 AM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
^is350 is slower and so is the a4 by a long shot. The 335 is in that range from the launch.
Motor trend or car & driver or one of the magazines got 4.9 with an IS350. Edmunds got really close as well. This was stock, so no, the IS350 is not slower. The A4 though is.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:17 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, I need to get to a real track - the reason I trust the Dynolicious app/ give it any credibility at all is that there were a couple of racing shows I used to watch on Speed where they put Dynolicious up against Dashhawk and another GPS based app on a real dragstrip and once they got the weight number dialed in on the cars, the Dynolicious app was within a tenth of a second or two of the actual track time. And I also know other (former) fellow G8-ers who have this app and go to the track who also get within a tenth or two of their actual track time (when they live near the track, and the DA is in a similar range) - oh, and the the Dashhawk and other GPS / ODBII apps were waaaaay off, way too optimistic and inaccurate - the conclusion they came to on the show was that (a) they couldn't believe how accurate Dynolicious was, and (b) they couldn't believe how crappy the other, dedicated boxes were. I believe they were racing mini-cooper-s's.

Also, I have the Dynolicious set for a 1-ft rollout, just like at the drag strip, so real-life 0-60 is gonna be like 5.1 or 5.2 at best.

And Da Mayor is right - I've got to get meself to a real track - I can't wait to get to a real track and do this, there is one literally 5 miles away. I'm a data freak, so if my numbers are off, then that will help me dial in my Dynolicious so that is even more accurate. I just wish I had more mods to test. I would've gotten some HFCs along time ago but I can't stand the rasp you get without a full, quality catback, and all of that is an arm and a leg for minimal gains (like 2k for 10-15 whp? forget it) - for 4k more I could have a GTM Supercharger!! That's my goal, but I'm not sure if it is worth it on this car - I'm waiting for the 2012 to see what they quality/engine is like, otherwise I am likely to go with the 2012-13 Chevy version of the G8. I cannot wait to see what that looks like. I just hope they didn't kill the drivability and give it a mediocre interior like they did with the Camaro.

Sorry - got OT.

I'm going to do a couple of more runs tonight with a little more gas in the car, and see what they are like. One thing I've noticed about this engine is that it seems to heatsoak quickly, and that any extra weight really, really affects it - the only reason the 7M Sedan is fast at all in the 1/4 is because of the 1-3 gearing, our horsepower (and I think I get an extra 6 ponies up top, and 11 tq down low with the hypertech), our redline and our flat TQ curve. Our HP and our redline lets our minimal torque keep cranking it out at max numbers for a loooong time before we have to shift into 3, 4 and 5 - that's the G secret sauce.

So we are really not that fast tooling around town IMO unless you hammer it and drop two gears, or race from dig. Rolls are really iffy - that's when I wish I had a 6MT.

Anyway, I don't see many drag slips around here except from the the TT or SC guys - does anybody else around here go to the dragstrip for kicks?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Jayhawk815

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dopey
Motor trend or car & driver or one of the magazines got 4.9 with an IS350. Edmunds got really close as well. This was stock, so no, the IS350 is not slower. The A4 though is.
I'm calling b.s. unless you can provide a link. C&D's best time was 5.1, while MT's and Edmund's best time was 5.2. I've never seen a stock IS350 post a 4.9 sec 0-60 time in any major publication.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Chico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to do the run both ways and then average it. Doing it one way is unrealistic.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
What's your test weight? Did you ever hit up a scale somewhere?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:30 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great times. how does your G compare to your G (g37 to g8 of course)? im sure the G8 is better performance wise but im talking over all comparison?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:13 PM
bmoney

Originally Posted by Jayhawk815
I'm calling b.s. unless you can provide a link. C&D's best time was 5.1, while MT's and Edmund's best time was 5.2. I've never seen a stock IS350 post a 4.9 sec 0-60 time in any major publication.
http://archive.roadandtrack.com/asse...car_dp.pdf.pdf

Quick Reply: New PR! 4.9 0-60, 13.33 1/4 mile