G37 Sedan

Having a weird problem with steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:05 PM
jhenka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having a weird problem with steering

hey guys just wanted to know if anybody has had this issue and how to fix it??
I have a 2010 g37xS and yesterday when i was driving home i noticed it suddenly got very difficult to turn my car at 20 mph or when the rps dropped below 2k, confused I parked the car and turned it off. When i turned it on it felt as if my power steering was completely gone. The wheel was almost impossible to turn, and every time i tried to push it there was a weird buzzing noise coming from the engine. Now i figured it was the power steering fluid so i checked it and the thing was full. After checking everything i decided to give the car a little gas. As soon as the car hit 2-3 k rpms the problem disappeared and it was as if everything was fine again. I was able to finish my drive home without a problem but parking was impossible because unless i rev'd it up i was not moving that wheel.

So to sum it up steering works fine when I am above 2k revs. As soon as i dip below it though, it feels as if the power steering dies and the engine starts making a weird buzzing noise. Anybody got any ideas??

Tomorrow is fcking Martin Luther King's day so i cant take it to the service department tomorrow have to wait til Tuesday

Oh and last questions, should i get the car towed from my house or should i drive it in?? I have that Infiniti road side assistance card do i pay for that or if is it covered by dealer? Do you guys think the dealer will fix this **** or blame something on me??
Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Under warranty? I believe the roadside assistance is the same timing as the warranty, 4 yrs (but unlimited mileage). If you are under warranty, take advantage of it.

Any mods to anything steering related? If not the dealer shouldnt really balk at fixing it.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:56 PM
jhenka

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Under warranty? I believe the roadside assistance is the same timing as the warranty, 4 yrs (but unlimited mileage). If you are under warranty, take advantage of it.

Any mods to anything steering related? If not the dealer shouldnt really balk at fixing it.
Yea car is new 8 months old, No mods on the car yet, i did change all the light bulbs to hids/leds. Heres another question should i call them now or wait till i get a hold off the service department?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Roadside Assistance is 24/7 AFAIK, so call whenever its convenient for you. They might just tow it right to the dealer but I dont know how they would work out a temp vehicle for you if everything is closed (they might pay for a rental though)
Old 01-16-2011, 11:37 PM
jhenka

AFAIK?? and im probably gonna call tomorrow in the early morning to make sure they fix it in one day. Any ideas what the issue is?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:16 AM
roots4x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe something malfunctioning with speed sensitive steering.

Afaik= as far as I know
Old 01-17-2011, 01:18 AM
dbg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you were working underneath the car, or even if you weren't you need to check the wiring harness plug that goes into the steering rack. This is meant to control the boost being provided by the pump according to speed.
When my dealer worked on my car they managed to fail to get it fully engaged after unplugging it, and thus the car provided nearly no power steering at slow speeds and it was very hard to steer. I promptly drove right back into the dealer, they reconnected it and it works fine.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 AM
jhenka

Originally Posted by dbg37
If you were working underneath the car, or even if you weren't you need to check the wiring harness plug that goes into the steering rack. This is meant to control the boost being provided by the pump according to speed.
When my dealer worked on my car they managed to fail to get it fully engaged after unplugging it, and thus the car provided nearly no power steering at slow speeds and it was very hard to steer. I promptly drove right back into the dealer, they reconnected it and it works fine.
See this is the kind of info i was looking for!!! I'm going to go jack up the car and try and figure where that harness is...

Oh and UPDATE!! Upon further inspection is looks as if something was sprayed all around the engine, it looks like some sort of watery/oily substance, Might be related might not be, I'll let you guys know after i check that harness..
Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

My G is my first new car in 10 yrs. Its tempting to "take a look around", but part of the "experience" of a new car is a shiny new warranty If you can get the car there, let the dealer handle it.

I would first say the liquid is power steering fluid but you said you checked the level and it was OK? Was the level OK or did there just happen to be fluid in there? Maybe something up with the pump or the steering rack.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 AM
zoner

Sounds like a leak. Recheck that fluid level. Are you sure you are checking the right reservoir?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 AM
zoner

BTW are you sure your dealer is not open today? Mine is.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:52 AM
jhenka

They are open today!!! Roadside assistance is coming in 30 mins. I checked the harness it is indeed plugged in. I do have some sort of leak wasn't able to locate it but my engine bay is soaked in it, i checked the power steering fluid levels and they are a hair lower then full so i duno. Will update when i get back from the dealer.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Good luck.

Out of curiosity, any idea what color the liquid was? That might help pinpoint it (again, just curious...Im sure the dealer will be able to figure it out)
Old 01-17-2011, 04:44 PM
jhenka

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Good luck.

Out of curiosity, any idea what color the liquid was? That might help pinpoint it (again, just curious...Im sure the dealer will be able to figure it out)
You can really tell what color the liquid was because it was on a black surface. I just got a call from my service adviser, he told me the seals on my power steering pump failed causing the fluid to go go everywhere. They are currently replacing the pump and fixing up a few other things and I'll have it back tomorrow good as new!

Thanks for the advice everybody!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Excellent....glad to hear it was taken care of. I'm sure fluid everywhere helped

Quick Reply: Having a weird problem with steering