G37 Sedan

What G37 performance specs do you care most about?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:42 PM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What G37 performance specs do you care most about?

0-60 times...I just don't get the importance...it just gets you to the next red light faster

40-70 (or there 'bouts) MPH times seem more important, for passing, but it's seldom included in tests.

60-0 distance seems like the most important for everyday driving (and that's why I'm opting for the sport package with its improved brakes). I wonder if the average driver knows how hard they have to lay on the brakes of their car to reach the rated distances. Many tests don't include braking results for some reason.

1/4 mile times, not important for everyday driving but I could see having some fun with that at drag strip amateur night.

Slalom and skidpad...why do they test these? They don't seem to have any relevance to anything. Is there some competition for slalom and skidpad results?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:45 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clutch5
0-60 times...I just don't get the importance...it just gets you to the next red light faster
0-60 is important especially driving in NY. For example, there is virtually no runway on some of the entrances on Northern Parkway. 2 lane traffic and most car go at least 55 MPH on the right lane. And oh, I forgot to tell you the right lane is very busy too. So if you don't have a fast 0-60 time, you either go no where or risk an accident. The faster you can accelerate from 0-60 the safer you are. Same for some entrances on Cross Island Parkway. And I'm sure there are many roads in NY are like that.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A slalom test could be characteristic of a driver having to dodge road debris or a random child that runs in front of the car.

How a vehicle handles itself in quick jerks of the wheel can describe many things such as, chassis rigidity, suspension, and weight balance.

Driver feed back from those parameters can save lives while instilling confidence to the driver in his vehicle.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 PM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bo2point0
A slalom test could be characteristic of a driver having to dodge road debris or a random child that runs in front of the car.

How a vehicle handles itself in quick jerks of the wheel can describe many things such as, chassis rigidity, suspension, and weight balance.

Driver feed back from those parameters can save lives while instilling confidence to the driver in his vehicle.
Props on the "random child" relation to slalom which is also related to braking. I agree that many of the same handling characteristics that make a good autocross or track car also contribute to real world accident avoidance.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Okita240

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How it handles on the track such as brake/fade, acceleration, predictability, controllability, overall driving dynamics, etc...
Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 PM
smashhell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clutch5

40-70 (or there 'bouts) MPH times seem more important, for passing, but it's seldom included in tests.

60-0 distance seems like the most important for everyday driving (and that's why I'm opting for the sport package with its improved brakes). I wonder if the average driver knows how hard they have to lay on the brakes of their car to reach the rated distances. Many tests don't include braking results for some reason.

1/4 mile times, not important for everyday driving but I could see having some fun with that at drag strip amateur night.

Slalom and skidpad...why do they test these? They don't seem to have any relevance to anything. Is there some competition for slalom and skidpad results?
Actually, all of these are important. Infiniti is out to compete with BMW, and BMW is most famous for their "driving experience". All of the things you stated are important in creating a great driving experience.

In the end, it's all about the fun in driving our car.

*Secretly, we want our cars to perform like the GTR
Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 PM
zoner

I am not an engineer but I suspect wheelbase and track have great effect on slalom. Note that the Honda Fit beats a Ferrari.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:33 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Handling and how easy it is to keep on the edge, its not twichy at all!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
0-60 is important especially driving in NY. For example, there is virtually no runway on some of the entrances on Northern Parkway. 2 lane traffic and most car go at least 55 MPH on the right lane. And oh, I forgot to tell you the right lane is very busy too. So if you don't have a fast 0-60 time, you either go no where or risk an accident. The faster you can accelerate from 0-60 the safer you are. Same for some entrances on Cross Island Parkway. And I'm sure there are many roads in NY are like that.
Agreed, Fish..... The Old Interboro Parkway, between Queens and Brooklyn, is the MOST fun. There virtually none existent entrance lanes. Man, you better have a 0-60 quick car, like the G. But that's why all of us here bought the G: Overall best 0-60 times, slalom numbers, 40-80 mph numbers, braking shortness in feet, AWD capabilities, ride and handling on the MARKET especailly for the Money. Check out the latest Cadillac CTS 2011 site and even their own shopping comparabilty page will yield That ANSWER....Onlt thing that is approaching the G is the new Volvo 2011 S60. Nice looking car, better torque with the 6 cyl. Turbo. Good pricing.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:22 PM
smashhell

Originally Posted by Almatti
Agreed, Fish..... The Old Interboro Parkway, between Queens and Brooklyn, is the MOST fun. There virtually none existent entrance lanes. Man, you better have a 0-60 quick car, like the G. But that's why all of us here bought the G: Overall best 0-60 times, slalom numbers, 40-80 mph numbers, braking shortness in feet, AWD capabilities, ride and handling on the MARKET especailly for the Money. Check out the latest Cadillac CTS 2011 site and even their own shopping comparabilty page will yield That ANSWER....Onlt thing that is approaching the G is the new Volvo 2011 S60. Nice looking car, better torque with the 6 cyl. Turbo. Good pricing.
The new Volvo S60 T6 ? 0-60 in 6.5 seconds is not really that comparable with our 5.4 seconds. Plus the Volvo cost $37.7k starting price compare to our $34.4. I don't see how that is a good deal at all.

Besides, I don't think it's a good idea at all to buy Volvo now. They just got brought by a China Motor Company Geely Automobile(吉利汽车). They make refrigerators ......

Last edited by smashhell; 01-15-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Old Interboro Parkway, between Queens and Brooklyn... Yeah, the short entrance ramps were a real challange when I was driving them in a '72 Toyota Corona and a '74 Ford Pinto! (Yes, I'm that old) Quick 0-60 times sure make a difference there.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My only concern is real world driving conditions.

First: Passing ability on 2 lane roads.
Second: Braking
Third: Handling
Old 01-16-2011, 07:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
None of the performance specs on their own matter too much for those of us who don't autocross the car, but together they help form a basis of comparison to the competition. If I don't have a clear favorite when car shopping, price gap and horsepower/torque numbers (e.g. "bang for the buck") become more important for me for differentiation between the two.

For my money, the G37 offers amazing bang for the buck, especially when the large discounts are figured into the equation.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smashhell
The new Volvo S60 T6 ? 0-60 in 6.5 seconds is not really that comparable with our 5.4 seconds. Plus the Volvo cost $37.7k starting price compare to our $34.4. I don't see how that is a good deal at all.

Besides, I don't think it's a good idea at all to buy Volvo now. They just got brought by a China Motor Company Geely Automobile(吉利汽车). They make refrigerators ......
Agreed as far as a Chinese company owning Volvo. I didn't say I'd Buy it, only a car for consideration. BTW, here in NY area, the starting price of $37.7k has been recently advertised as "all In" as far a fully loaded vehicle. It was designed by the Sweedish in concert with the new Chinese Owners. For that reason, I would be hesitant. Don't want to get poisoned by lead Paint or Sulfur Dioxide (see Chinese Sheetrock articles on the WEB - what a problem in recent homebuilding materials in the southeast US !). Who knows: maybe my next car will be a TATA Motors car!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM
zoner

Agreed as far as a Chinese company owning Volvo. I didn't say I'd Buy it, only a car for consideration. BTW, here in NY area, the starting price of $37.7k has been recently advertised as "all In" as far a fully loaded vehicle. It was designed by the Sweedish in concert with the new Chinese Owners. For that reason, I would be hesitant. Don't want to get poisoned by lead Paint or Sulfur Dioxide (see Chinese Sheetrock articles on the WEB - what a problem in recent homebuilding materials in the southeast US !). Who knows: maybe my next car will be a TATA Motors car!
Tata as in Jaguar? I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy an XJ. Don't forget that although Volvo is owned by the Chinese now this car was in process and has a majority of its' content, if not all, designed way long ago. Probably a lot of Ford in it.

Quick Reply: What G37 performance specs do you care most about?