G37 Sedan

RWD is fine in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:15 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
One thing to add to this discussion - if you are comparing a Journey RWD to an X AWD, there is really not much performance penalty in going with the AWD. And the AWD system is a good one. The big penalty is that you can't get the sport enhancements - big brakes, sport suspension, faster steering ratio - with the X.

Greg
Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gsm026
One thing to add to this discussion - if you are comparing a Journey RWD to an X AWD, there is really not much performance penalty in going with the AWD. And the AWD system is a good one. The big penalty is that you can't get the sport enhancements - big brakes, sport suspension, faster steering ratio - with the X.

Greg
I think you are missing the biggest X omission, 6mt. (I know you were talking about the Journey)
Old 02-05-2011, 10:32 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
all I know is it may be driveable in the snow,except for the gigantic potholes caused from snow plows.
chunked a 3-4 inch part of my rim(took off the powdercoating from the impact) & a slice out of my sidewall on my new tires.
g coupes are garbage in the snow imo.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
all I know is it may be driveable in the snow,except for the gigantic potholes caused from snow plows.
chunked a 3-4 inch part of my rim(took off the powdercoating from the impact) & a slice out of my sidewall on my new tires.
because you hit a pot hole..? thats your fault. Ive driven plently of AWD SUV's and the g still by far has the best awd. Lexus, dodge, jeep, the old QX4.. the g is far better then them all
Old 02-06-2011, 12:20 AM
roots4x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
You have 19" wheels with 40 or 45 profile tires, right? Not sure if this is your first low profile tire, but this is just part of the joys of urban driving. I had an 07 coupe with 225 and 245/40-19 tires and I never got a flat. I drive through pothole littered streets too.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:11 PM
2k7G35s

The S model is better than the base model in snow because of it's VLSD, it's helped me out plenty of times.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Exigent

Originally Posted by 2k7G35s
The S model is better than the base model in snow because of it's VLSD, it's helped me out plenty of times.

I live on a street with a steep incline and my driveway is inclined also. My jeep has no problem getting to the garage, but my former FWD car failed every time. I didnt want to have to worry about it when it snows (I'm in st. louis) and besides, the wife wanted the AWD (I wanted the sport) :\
Old 02-07-2011, 04:35 PM
volnedan

This is my first non-S G I've owned, but its still RWD. Of course I run winter tires (Michelin Alpins) but this year in MI when it snows, it comes down hard. 2-4" usually isn't a problem. but this past week we got a good 6" a few times and my city doesn't like to plow my subdivision.

I agree with most everyone that tires make the biggest difference in the snow. My wife's Altima got stuck in our street last night (4-5" of snow still not plowed), but she is not too keen of a winter driver. I got the car unstuck after a few minutes, but she does not have the patience to take it easy.

Most people in MI think you need an SUV with AWD to get around in the snow, but no one understands that a Jeep Cherokee with all season tires can't stop any sooner than me with my winter tires. Its very frustrating when these people driving Tahoes and Land Rover are going 75mph on the freeway while texting and eating a sandwich, then sh-t their pants when they can't stop. And of course, its the cars fault.

God I can't wait till spring...
Old 03-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Duster

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but wanted to thank everyone for contributing to this one.

I'm taking delivery of a G37S, RWD, 6MT, quite shortly, and I was worried about forsaking the AWD. But I really wanted the 6MT, and you have to sacrifice something.

I live in Toronto, so we get a few big snowstorms a year, and lots of ice. The city streets are plowed, but the side streets and outlying roads aren't.

i've driven RWD, FWD, and AWD vehicles. My last two were an AWD SUV, and an AWD Volvo wagon. But the best snow vehicle I ever drove was a little FWD Honda, and that's because I had awesome snow tires on them.

I've gone into 4-wheel slides with bothe my AWD vehicles, due to overconfidence, I guess. One of them even had Pilot Alpins on it, but I didn't think they were that great. The Honda had Toyo winter tires, and I never had any problem, going or stopping.

I'm hoping the G will be like that, if I put some good tires on it. Otherwise, I'll have to garage it and take the wife's car some days.

All this intro to ask one simple question:

What winter rim/tire combinations have been good on the G?

--- D
Old 03-16-2011, 04:17 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got the wheel-tire combo my dealer was offering. It came with 18" Blizzak LM-25 tires.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
^ good choice. Good winter tires will offset many of the disadvantages of RWD in winter driving conditions. Low profile tires are more subject to pothole damage than standard 17" tires. Everything is a trade off. I really liked my X this winter...even with the RSAs. Winter tires would have been much better however, but two or three weeks of nasty driving is not worth the hassle of trading tires back and forth....further north I am sure the effort is worthwhile.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Continental Extreme Winter Contacts here and the car does phenomenally.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 AM
KLB

17" Yokohama W*Drives. They were great.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:59 AM
SabresFan

I ordered a tire / wheel package from Tirerack and went with Michelin X-Ice. We didn't have any wild winter storms, but I drove through my share of snow and ice this winter. The car never slid once. Of course, I'm from Buffalo and know how to drive in the winter, but I was still pretty impressed at how the S 6MT handled. I'd recommend the tires.

It's going to be 71 here tomorrow and the winter tires are coming off tonight!!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:54 AM
stratos

The G37S 6mt doesn't take 17" wheels. In fact not all 18" wheels fit over the over sized brakes either.

I got a package wheels/blizzaks from tire rack 3 winters ago and can't be more satisfied with them. I wish I could go to a 17" set for the winter but that's not an option on the 6mt. It's not the traction so much that I have an issue with. It's the potholes that appear like weeds overnight that I hate.

Quick Reply: RWD is fine in the snow