G37 Sedan

RWD is fine in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Deemancpa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gugarci
Also I forgot to add I don't carry any extra weight in my trunk. In fact my trunk is always empty, except on trips or food shopping. Just make sure you have at least 3/4 of a tank of gas and that will add sufficient weight to your rear.
Wow didn't think of that! I'm at half a tank right now.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:46 PM
spect2k

I used to have a RWD C240. Even with winter tires, I couldn't get that thing up the hill that I live on in any amount of snow. It was a disaster. With AWD, I can stop on the hill and get right back going again. AWD simply prevent you from getting stuck, when you are out on the road, it is all about the driver. On equal cars, theoretically, AWD will actually increase stopping distance because of weight over the RWD car. With the snow that we have been getting in the northeast, there were cars spun out all over the road and people couldn't get going from a stop light. This is where the AWD really shined. I will personally never buy another car without it.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 PM
kcg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just had about 6in snow here and my winter setup consists of LM25s rears I bought used on this forum and new michelin xices in front from tirerack. No problems driving thru 5-6 inches of unplowed snow as mentioned in this thread, steering and braking are the true benfefits of winter tires vs. all season/awd setup.
My last 2 cars were supercharged bmws, neither one of them got stuck, either(also ran winter tires)
For me, the 15 days or so AWD would actually come in handy don't offset the cost/weight ratio. I've had an audi before also, I should mention. Now, if someone was to drop off a B8 S4 in my driveway, i'd sing a different tune...
Old 01-12-2011, 05:39 AM
Crespo
Registered Member

I just drove in snow with asdvans rims and hankook v12, it was pretty scary...but I do hope i have awd, awd is the best in snow and u can do control drift as well...just drive safe no matter what car you are in
Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Amon_Ra

After these two snow storms, I've been fine with the OEM all season tires...although I did have to be pushed out of a jughandle a day after the first big storm...

Ill say this though...on flat land I have no problems, its up/down grades were problems start. I was on my way to the dentist travelling between 25-30 mph on a curved downgrade and my car spun out...not sure if travelling slower would have helped, but I managed to avoid any problems there.

turning off VDC is helpful in certain situations (mainly going up hill to my apartment) since it cuts power to the wheels once the tires slip...

just can't justify spending 800+ at the moment for winter tires...Id ratherjust buy a new set of all season tires
Old 01-12-2011, 09:28 PM
spect2k

Remember that if you are running winter tires, you aren't running your all-seasons. It's more cost up front, but a wash in the long run and you are much safer because of it.

We've all said it, but I hate going out in the snow not because of me, but because there is going to be some idiot going way to fast that is going to cause an accident. Or in this case, someone who is driving summers or all-seasons and causes an accident. Not saying it can't happen with winter tires, but give yourself every safety opportunity you can.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Amon_Ra

i hear that...i havent really driven in the height of a snow storm thus far...it was either the beginning portions of it (grocery store run or whatever) and the day after when most major roads are cleared
Old 01-13-2011, 11:15 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Amon_Ra
just can't justify spending 800+ at the moment for winter tires...Id ratherjust buy a new set of all season tires
But you can justify spending the money on some other all-season tires that may perform a little better in the snow compared to your current tires. That reasoning I don't understand.

All tires are considered a compromise, to get a better performing all season tire in the snow you are going to have to sacrifice some more dry handling performance. Do you really want to do that???

Anyway I love my Blizzak's and since I'm not looking for an excuse to buy another car, I have no desire wrap my car around a pole maybe next year, I used winter tires in the snow.

On a side note I understand some people do not have the room to store tires all year round. But here's a solution which works best if you are single. Stack 2 tires in the living room on top of each other, and put a large nice piece of glass over them, instant coffee table. The other 2 can be stacked in the kitchen in a similar set up and used as a kitchen table.

But you wife or girlfriend might frown upon this idea.

Last edited by gugarci; 01-13-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:20 PM
chie888
Registered Member

I'm here in atlanta after a big snow storm. Its snow on sunday and it is now thursday, yet i have not driven my RWD G out! I am stuck near a hilly area. If its not the snow its the ice afterwards. I see all the audi and awd cars kicking *** but all the rwd slipping and sliding.

If I could redo, i should of just pay some extra cash to have an x shipped to atl.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by chie888
I'm here in atlanta after a big snow storm. Its snow on sunday and it is now thursday, yet i have not driven my RWD G out! I am stuck near a hilly area. If its not the snow its the ice afterwards. I see all the audi and awd cars kicking *** but all the rwd slipping and sliding.

If I could redo, i should of just pay some extra cash to have an x shipped to atl.
It also depends where you come from. My parents lived up here in CT for 50 yrs, then moved down to VA a few years ago. its amazing how never driving in snow paralyzes people, yet my parents drive around like its nothing (VA likes to shut down if they get 1" of snow, aka flurries in CT)

Its nothing against people that have been in the south forever, they just arent used to it.

My dad drove his vette through an inch of snow that basically shut down all of VA. And Vettes dont come in AWD
Old 01-13-2011, 04:28 PM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel the need to give my opinion as well. I have RWD with winter wheels and “performance” winter tires. Due to the BBK, I had to go with 18” wheels. The larger wheel creates a need to use a smaller sidewall to keep the stock diameter. Higher sidewalls would create a better “bite” from the rear tires in the snow. While it’s manageable, I don’t think acceleration is that good even with the performance winter tires (Hankook Ice Bear). AWD is far superior on acceleration with just all-season tires because four wheels pulling is better than just two. I rented an X for a week once and drove up to Michigan in a snow storm. The X was pretty good.

However, my car can stop in the snow 100 times better and safer than it could with the summer tires. At the end of day, I can’t take off too aggressively (shouldn’t be doing than in the snow anyway), but I can stop and steer my car very well in the snow. That’s what’s most important to me for winter driving. And because I went with a performance snow tires, my car still feels pretty responsive on cold, dry pavement. The roads in Chicago get cleaned up pretty quickly which also helps a great deal.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Amon_Ra

Originally Posted by gugarci
But you can justify spending the money on some other all-season tires that may perform a little better in the snow compared to your current tires. That reasoning I don't understand.

All tires are considered a compromise, to get a better performing all season tire in the snow you are going to have to sacrifice some more dry handling performance. Do you really want to do that???

Anyway I love my Blizzak's and since I'm not looking for an excuse to buy another car, I have no desire wrap my car around a pole maybe next year, I used winter tires in the snow.

On a side note I understand some people do not have the room to store tires all year round. But here's a solution which works best if you are single. Stack 2 tires in the living room on top of each other, and put a large nice piece of glass over them, instant coffee table. The other 2 can be stacked in the kitchen in a similar set up and used as a kitchen table.

But you wife or girlfriend might frown upon this idea.
Another set of all seasons in terms of when the current tires I have need to be replaced which may be sooner than later
Old 02-04-2011, 08:22 PM
DetroitG37Joe

I'm in Michigan we get a good amount of snow Jan-Feb and I have the RWD. My summers are worn and I am gettin all season Yokos this spring, I'll have to see how they perform in a couple inches snow but if you're talking 3 inches plus I'd say snow tires are a must and on the worst of snow days the RWD can be like crutches. I garage the car Jan-Feb and really dont risk driving it. Besides when our snow freezes and becomes icy with ice chunks flying everywhere its too much risk of paint imperfections from the friction

Ey yo Sindhi, nice to see a fellow Desi from metro Detroit with the G-Coupe. I'm a Mallu.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:29 PM
roots4x

Originally Posted by 15951
I have a G37S, and recently relocated to the middle of the country. I was flipping out about driving my RWD G in the snow after reading pages and pages of opinions regarding how vital it is to have the X and AWD.

After having driven for a few weeks in snowy and slushy conditions, I can say with confidence that RWD is fine in the snow, and AWD wouldn't have been worth the weight penalty or the 4WD drive height. In instances where I've had wheel slip, the traction control has kicked in and helped out. I've never been close to stuck.

I did buy winter wheels with all-season (not winter) tires -- it's a no-brainer to take off the summer tires in winter conditions. Also, I'm sure AWD comes in handy if you're plowing through 2 feet of fresh snow in Alaska. However, for those of us in areas that get a few inches of snow on occasion with little else, don't waste your money on AWD.
Try it with all-seasons all around or summer tires. I'll tell you right now, I'd rather have a RWD car with winter tires over an AWD car with summer or all-seasons. It's much safer. Now most people don't have the ability to swap out wheel/tire combos come the winter and spring season, so I understand the need to put in all seasons and get AWD, but let's be honest, AWD only prevents you from getting stuck. Snow tires are what keep you safe in the snow. They keep you on course and allow you to stop at reasonable distances.

Anyone who thinks AWD is a MUST in urban snow really has no idea what they're talking about. That's not to say in some off-road snowy conditions it is probably very important.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:36 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
I'm in Michigan we get a good amount of snow Jan-Feb and I have the RWD. My summers are worn and I am gettin all season Yokos this spring, I'll have to see how they perform in a couple inches snow but if you're talking 3 inches plus I'd say snow tires are a must and on the worst of snow days the RWD can be like crutches. I garage the car Jan-Feb and really dont risk driving it. Besides when our snow freezes and becomes icy with ice chunks flying everywhere its too much risk of paint imperfections from the friction

Ey yo Sindhi, nice to see a fellow Desi from metro Detroit with the G-Coupe. I'm a Mallu.
It's a Nissan, what did you expect?

Quick Reply: RWD is fine in the snow