G37 Sedan

Do you warm up your G ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
...high of 4 degrees here today with 2 more inches of snow.

I'll be honestly though, i didnt' even know it got down in the 30's in FL?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
I let it idle until my exhaust note calms down just a tad and doesn't sound as raspy, its about 30-45 seconds. Then I try not to get it over 4K until the engine temp gets up a little. Not sure where I got this theory, but it is just what I've always done.
IvoryG: That is a Old Adage that I learned as well. Good quality mechanics have practiced that method for ages. Let 'er warm up a minute or so, drive moderately the first mile or two, and then t you are good to Go. The basios to it: the oil needs to flow throughout the engine for proper lubrication, but letting the car warm up for a long period of time CAN affect the Tranny because the those fluids are still cold, hence the easy driving at first. Steppin on it with a warm engine and cold tranny fluids (and other fluids too), can't be Good for the car. I'm talking about these below freezing temps. I guess in warmer climates, this is isn't applicable. But, maybe there's an engineer out there that will differ. Afterall, many people have remote starters to run their cars for 10 minutes or more before they drive off.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:57 PM
rmd3003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
IvoryG: That is a Old Adage that I learned as well. Good quality mechanics have practiced that method for ages. Let 'er warm up a minute or so, drive moderately the first mile or two, and then t you are good to Go. The basios to it: the oil needs to flow throughout the engine for proper lubrication, but letting the car warm up for a long period of time CAN affect the Tranny because the those fluids are still cold, hence the easy driving at first. Steppin on it with a warm engine and cold tranny fluids (and other fluids too), can't be Good for the car. I'm talking about these below freezing temps. I guess in warmer climates, this is isn't applicable. But, maybe there's an engineer out there that will differ. Afterall, many people have remote starters to run their cars for 10 minutes or more before they drive off.
I agree with this 100%. Tranny and rear diff. are alos important and the only way to warm them is to drive. Normally I warm for about 30sec and then drive carefully for 1-2 miles. After that you are good to fly.....
Old 01-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Gobbler Man

I follow the manual. 30 second warmup every time.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:29 PM
MOB

I start the car, and once the temp needle moves so do I.... moderately until I'm out of the neighborhood. Never had any problems...