G37 Sedan

Exhaust Smell when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 PM
EnviedG35

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
As was mentioned before, this is normal. Cold air is more oxygen dense. Due to the engine bay ambient temperatures, the intake charge air is very cold and oxygen dense. More oxygen requires more fuel for combustion. The ECU compensates for this increase in air flow and oxygen by adding more fuel to the system. Being that the car isnt up to full operating temperature, some of the fuel isnt completely burned off and it gets expelled through the exhaust. Once the car is warm everything should be fine. This is normal. Its just the cars way of trying to heat up a very cold engine block.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:56 PM
WestCoastG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree - the gas/exhaust smell from cold starts is unusually strong and noticeable - more so than all of the other vehicles I've had. Sure doesn't give one the perception that the car is running clean. I wonder if it isn't simply because the car is programmed to dump a whole lotta fuel into the engine on cold starts.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:42 AM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLKG37X
Also, on an unrelated matter... what are these new colorful graphs on the left below the avatars with the points an percentages? What do they mean?
Explained here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/announc...xperience.html
Old 01-07-2011, 01:53 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Like above where you live you think cold is 50.. This morning when I left it was 18.. AHAH and is will get to the single digets before it warms up..
50 is freezing ***** dude! I drove to school it was 41 degrees I could barely walk to class man!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Okita240

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had just noticed today in the morning as well, and I have a brand new 2011 G37S. The ambient temperature was around the high 40's ~ low 50's.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WestCoastG37S
I agree - the gas/exhaust smell from cold starts is unusually strong and noticeable - more so than all of the other vehicles I've had. Sure doesn't give one the perception that the car is running clean. I wonder if it isn't simply because the car is programmed to dump a whole lotta fuel into the engine on cold starts.
+++1...same here. Never gave it much thought except for one time when I thought the lawnmower or string trimmer in the garage might be leaking gasoline. Found out it was just my car following a cold start and a minute or two of idling.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 PM
hollywhip

Warming Up

I live in TX and in the Winter even though my G is garage kept when it's in the 20's or 30's I usually let mine idle for about 3 or so minutes then proceed slowly until she's at normal operating Temp. I have seen people jump in their vehicles when it's 25 degrees out side starter engaged engine running slam it in drive and gone the oil hasn't even cycled through the pump yet.
That can't be good.

2010Sdn G37_S Vibrant Red, 25% tint, Piaa fogs, Keyhole delete, LED Interior lights, Tannabe's
Old 01-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Marc Collins

When the temperature is cold (meaning less than 40 F or 5 C), no matter how cold it is, the reasonable warm-up procedure is to let the car idle for about 20 to 30 seconds before driving away. You ALWAYS drive away modestly until the engine is up to a decent operating temperature (past the lowest or second lowest tick on the gauge). That will take about 30 seconds on a warm/hot day or up to 3 minutes on a frigid day.

The concept is to get the engine to operating temp as fast as possible to minimize emissions and to get the heater working. Idling the engine just means more pollution and less heat for the heater and is providing zero value to any part of your car. It can take almost 10 minutes to get up to temp from a cold start if you don't put the engine under any load. Obviously you are getting 0 mpg and dumping maximum emissions into the atmosphere/mile while the car is not moving.

The strong smell of fuel on start-up is a product of the latest in emissions-reducing technology. The engine is designed to try to get up to temp as fast as possible to reduce the abovedescribed. All modern cars have some version of this or another or they couldn't pass European emissions regulations. It is normal and desired.

Idling the car for more than 30 seconds is a terrible idea for both the environment and your pocket book and comfort and provides no value or protection to the car whatsoever so long as you don't rev the crap out of it before the engine reaches a basic/minimal operating temperature (read: full oil circulation). You will be warmer by driving away sooner because you'll get heat from the heater much sooner and you'll be moving a bit to keep warm while you are driving waiting for the heater.