G37 Sedan

snow button

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:26 AM
slimlma04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow button

what does snow button do if infiniti has intelligent awd system that automatically switches from rwd to awd...my belief was that it locks the awd?
Old 12-28-2010, 01:38 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It starts the transmission in 2nd gear to eliminate spinning the tires when accelerating from a stop.

EDIT! : I retract this statement as it was made prior to driving an X and was just something I read on another site and attempted to pass along. SNOW MODE is definitely much more complex and completely changes throttle, etc.

Last edited by Ibanez540r; 12-31-2010 at 02:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Emanon (12-05-2016)
Old 12-28-2010, 08:27 AM
KLB

It is like a Grandma mode for the transmission. It does not lock the car into AWD, nor does it start the car in 2nd gear.

From the manual:
For driving or starting the vehicle on snowy
roads or slippery areas, turn on the SNOW
mode switch. The indicator light on the switch
will illuminate. When the SNOW mode is activated,
engine output is controlled to avoid
wheel spin.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:31 AM
sportsdude512

Originally Posted by KLB
It is like a Grandma mode for the transmission. It does not lock the car into AWD, nor does it start the car in 2nd gear.

From the manual:
For driving or starting the vehicle on snowy
roads or slippery areas, turn on the SNOW
mode switch. The indicator light on the switch
will illuminate. When the SNOW mode is activated,
engine output is controlled to avoid
wheel spin.
+1
thats basically what the salesman told me when i just picked up my 11xs coupe
Old 12-29-2010, 08:21 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, as the Infiniti G37x FSM states:

The Snow Mode switch sends a signal to the ECM to control rapid engine torque change by controlling the electric throttle control actuator operating speed.
In other words it reduces the throttle input if you press the accelerate down quickly.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:43 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I remember correctly...

Snow Mode On:
Throttle response is retarded. It does not start in 2nd gear. It locks the power distribution to 50/50 until it reaches a certain speed (a bit less than 30km/h).

Snow Mode Off:
Throttle response is normal. It locks the power distribution to 25/75 until it reaches a certain speed (a bit less than 20km/h)

Whether the Snow Mode is on or off, the VDC will try to correct wheel spin. Snow mode tries to prevent it by reducing throttle and give front/rear equal power. However, after that certain speed is reached, the car will still transfer most if not all power to the rear wheels just like when snow mode is off, but at a higher speed.

It's pretty straight forward. If the pavement is icy or has snow on it, turn it on. If the pavement is dry or you're a confident driver, turn it off.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:08 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by devil2k
If I remember correctly...

Snow Mode On:
Throttle response is retarded. It does not start in 2nd gear. It locks the power distribution to 50/50 until it reaches a certain speed (a bit less than 30km/h).

Snow Mode Off:
Throttle response is normal. It locks the power distribution to 25/75 until it reaches a certain speed (a bit less than 20km/h)

Whether the Snow Mode is on or off, the VDC will try to correct wheel spin. Snow mode tries to prevent it by reducing throttle and give front/rear equal power. However, after that certain speed is reached, the car will still transfer most if not all power to the rear wheels just like when snow mode is off, but at a higher speed.

It's pretty straight forward. If the pavement is icy or has snow on it, turn it on. If the pavement is dry or you're a confident driver, turn it off.
It doesn't do anything to the AWD system, all it does is reduce throttle input.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:18 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
It doesn't do anything to the AWD system, all it does is reduce throttle input.
This is pulled from an archive:
NissanNews

Unless G37 uses a different system which I highly doubt that it does, the Snow Mode button would make the car function as described below highlighted in bold.

How It Works

The ATTESA system is designed for smooth starts, better fuel economy and better traction and maneuverability on snowy roads than conventional all-wheel drive systems and minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance characteristics on dry roads.
The system's advanced torque split control strategy automatically transfers optimum torque to the wheels according to road and driving conditions. It provides outstanding cornering capability similar to a sports car due to optimum torque distribution to the front and rear wheels (from approximately 0:100 up to 50:50).

System sensors continuously monitor vehicle speed, throttle position and wheel spin (at all four wheels). When road conditions don't require AWD, the G35 acts and feels like the award-winning rear-wheel drive G35 sedan, with the system capable of sending up to 100 percent of the power to the rear wheels. By comparison, leading competitive AWD systems with center differential transfer systems limit the amount of available power at the rear wheels to 50 percent (Audi A4 Quattro), 60 percent (Mercedes C-class 4-matic) or 62 percent (BMW 330xi). The G35 thus offers minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance and handling feel.
From a standing start, the ATTESA system adjusts the front-to-rear torque distribution, adding 25 percent to the front wheels for a more powerful start. The system then quickly adjusts torque distribution as needed, sending up to 100 percent to the rear wheels if conditions warrant, or adjusting the front drive percentage up to 50 percent as needed.

In cornering situations, the ATTESA system can detect traction needs throughout the course of a turn and react accordingly. With its millisecond response time, the system can shift toque back and forth between the front and rear wheels to help enhance stability and traction. For example, in entering a corner (under normal driving conditions), the system functions nearly the same as any rear-wheel drive car. Torque distribution is almost 100 percent rear. Once in the corner, the system is able to transfer to the front wheels that portion of the drive torque that the rear wheels can't handle. This results in outstanding, sports car-like cornering ability. When exiting the corner, torque can be quickly transferred according to the wheel spin of the rear wheels from 50:50 up to 0:100 for smooth acceleration out of the turn.

Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.

"Only the all-wheel drive G35 feels like a rear-wheel drive performance sedan, giving the drivers in Northern climates all-season driving enjoyment," said Igo.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:50 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

This is pulled from an archive:
NissanNews

Unless G37 uses a different system which I highly doubt that it does, the Snow Mode button would make the car function as described below highlighted in bold.
Interesting, I wouldn't be surprised if they disable that functionality from the new generation G as there is no mention of that functionality for the new G35/G37.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:28 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Interesting, I wouldn't be surprised if they disable that functionality from the new generation G as there is no mention of that functionality for the new G35/G37.
Or perhaps it's not mentioned because it's still the same system as the old G35. Why would they disable something that's better for winter driving? The VDC system already cuts fuel when it senses slips, why bother making one single button that does nothing but to retard throttle response?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:11 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Or perhaps it's not mentioned because it's still the same system as the old G35. Why would they disable something that's better for winter driving? The VDC system already cuts fuel when it senses slips, why bother making one single button that does nothing but to retard throttle response?
I'd assume they'd remove the feature for cost purposes. Many vehicles have a "snow button" that retards the throttle or starts the transmission in 2nd gear. The snow mode helps prevent the wheels from spinning and loss of traction by reducing throttle input. It's not a big deal in the summer but in the winter flooring the gas while driving can cause you to lose control if the road is slippery, sure you have VDC but snow mode would help prevent you from getting into that situation in the first place.

Also, the new M has a snow mode on all models, AWD and RWD so I'm guessing that its snow mode only reduces throttle input.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:17 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

I'd assume they'd remove the feature for cost purposes. Many vehicles have a "snow button" that retards the throttle or starts the transmission in 2nd gear. The snow mode helps prevent the wheels from spinning and loss of traction by reducing throttle input. It's not a big deal in the summer but in the winter flooring the gas while driving can cause you to lose control if the road is slippery, sure you have VDC but snow mode would help prevent you from getting into that situation in the first place.

Also, the new M has a snow mode on all models, AWD and RWD so I'm guessing that its snow mode only reduces throttle input.
But it doesn't add any extra cost to the AWD model since the 25/75 & 50/50 splits can be controlled by software.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:21 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
But it doesn't add any extra cost to the AWD model since the 25/75 & 50/50 splits can be controlled by software.
Someone has to write the software...
Old 12-30-2010, 01:31 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Originally Posted by efuseakay
Someone has to write the software...
It's already written for the earlier gen of G.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

It's already written for the earlier gen of G.
Right but it has to be updated for any production changes (i.e. switch from 3.5L V6 to 3.7L V6), it has to be supported, and it's something else that can go wrong. By eliminating that feature that's one less thing that can malfunction.

Quick Reply: snow button