G37 Sedan

snow button

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:41 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Right but it has to be updated for any production changes (i.e. switch from 3.5L V6 to 3.7L V6), it has to be supported, and it's something else that can go wrong. By eliminating that feature that's one less thing that can malfunction.
Torque is the same. They would've programmed it to distribute the percentages of the power anyway so the difference shouldn't matter. It's a same AWD system, Attesa E-TS I believe. I've been driving with the snow mode on / off this winter and I can say the car definitely understeer when the snow mode is on.

Car companies make their AWD more and more sophisticated generation by generation. They don't go backward to save money because it's not saving them money. Cost of software improvement, when spread over so many vehicles, can be considered free. It would not cost anymore than reprogramming the 7AT for the TSB.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Chico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devil2k
Torque is the same. They would've programmed it to distribute the percentages of the power anyway so the difference shouldn't matter. It's a same AWD system, Attesa E-TS I believe. I've been driving with the snow mode on / off this winter and I can say the car definitely understeer when the snow mode is on.

Car companies make their AWD more and more sophisticated generation by generation. They don't go backward to save money because it's not saving them money. Cost of software improvement, when spread over so many vehicles, can be considered free. It would not cost anymore than reprogramming the 7AT for the TSB.
I agree. There's not cost saving by stopping software development. In fact, there's ton of software that never makes it to production vehicles. Software it's the one thing that never stops improving. Obviously we're not sure what the snow button really does. I thought it only reduced power to the wheels, but now that I read the press release for the G35x I'm not so sure anymore.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:40 AM
TONY37X

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by devil2k
If I remember correctly...

Snow Mode On:
Throttle response is retarded. It does not start in 2nd gear. It locks the power distribution to 50/50 until it reaches a certain speed (a bit less than 30km/h).

Snow Mode Off:
Throttle response is normal. It locks the power distribution to 25/75 until it reaches a certain speed (a bit less than 20km/h)

Whether the Snow Mode is on or off, the VDC will try to correct wheel spin. Snow mode tries to prevent it by reducing throttle and give front/rear equal power. However, after that certain speed is reached, the car will still transfer most if not all power to the rear wheels just like when snow mode is off, but at a higher speed.

It's pretty straight forward. If the pavement is icy or has snow on it, turn it on. If the pavement is dry or you're a confident driver, turn it off.
Well, whatever it does, it does it well! Just as much traction as the wifes RAV4 and can get me out of my snow/ice covered road with no problems unlike my Chevy Express work van.