G37 Sedan

G37 Shopping questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G37 Shopping questions

So I've been lurking around the site quite some time now, learning as much as possible as far as packages etc. and have everything down. I know for sure I want navigation and sport in an automatic, but am up in the air whether or not to get the Xs or just S.

I do live in Northeast Ohio with quite a bit of snow and originally was set on the Xs, but after finding an S for a great price and thinking about the added suspension, brakes, LSD, etc. I'm tossed. I know many of you are going to swear by the X for snow, and I believe you, but I am a self proclaimed excellent driver and also drive rear wheel all day for work, and with snow tires don't think it would be that big of a deal with RWD. So opinions appreciated?

Secondly, the S is out of state since NO ONE carries anything but AWD around here, I have no way of test driving an S to see just how stiff it is. For those of you with them, or have driven them, how's the ride compared to an X or journey??? Rough and jarring, just right, etc. ?? I had looked at an 07 Acura TL type S prior to getting turned onto the G, and all type S's have sports suspension and thought it WAS a little rough for daily driving... maybe. lol

Just need some assistance deciding which way to go.. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I came from a 2002 Maxima that needed new shocks/struts and the "S" is definitely stiffer but I like it. My wife is okay with it, the kids just want me to drive faster. I tested a TL-S a long time ago and I don't remember it being too rough.

We have had a little snow here and my Michelin X-Ice2s have be fantastic. We chose the 6mt because neither my wife nor I like the paddleomatic.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For northeast region, I strongly recommend Xs.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:26 PM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going from a standard G to an S, I can clearly feel a stiffer ride, but it's nowhere near bone jarring. The best way I can describe it is it has a "feel the road" sensation to it. For me, that is what driving is all about. My wife is not much into the true sport functions of the suspension, but has no complaints about the ride and claims she is liking the "feel of the road" more and more. One thing I've noticed is harsher bumps and potholes really don't feel much different than when in our previous G. The stiffer suspension does provide the needed shock resistance when really needed.

My suggestion is: If you enjoy a true sport feel in a car and feel you can handle a 2 wheel drive sufficiently in inclement conditions, by all means go for the S, you will enjoy it much more throughout the rest of the year! But then, I don't drive in the white stuff, so maybe you need to hear more from non X owners driving S models in such conditions.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 AM
coopville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xs. Seems to me the RWD sport suspension, brakes and LSD are better suited to the track. Besides, I'm guessing you can always add different suspension and brakes to the Xs if it's not up to your specs. You can't add the X to the RWD S...Good luck!

Coop
Old 12-28-2010, 07:31 AM
llee916

Why not get the G37xS. Infiniti has that option if you weren't aware.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:31 AM
KLB

The xS is does not have the brake and suspension that the RWD S does.

OP: Seems to me you already made up your mind. Get the S.

For me, I live in the country and drive into the city for work(55 miles each way). For the country roads in the winter I got the X. I also have performance snow tires. I will never get a car without AWD again.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:59 AM
squal17

I drove all 3 and I want to warn you that the seats in the s were very tight. If you are a 22 year old petite woman then you will fit but I had a problem with the seat fit in the s. go with the xs..more comfy suspension
Old 12-28-2010, 12:22 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
IMHO a lot of people want a "sports sedan" without the package that makes it a true enthusiast car. After you take away the 6mt, suspension, bbk, bolstered seats, you have a entry/near-lux cruiser with a rough engine.

My wife and I both drove the xS with the paddle shifters and found it to be uninvolving and slightly boring but it may be because we both prefer manuals. If we had to get an auto then the M56S would be on the top of our list.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Chico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought an xS and I love it. I think I made the right choice. However, when it's time to do it all over again I will consider the RWD with Sport Package. I like the idea of having a true sport suspension, better brakes, and a lower stand. Plus I live in NYC and it won't hurt me if I have to take the train a few days out of the year. Also, everywhere in the forum you can find people saying that driving the RWD with snow tires is not horrible. The location is a big factor in a decision like this. We have ample public transportation if we need it.