G37 Sedan

be careful in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:19 PM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're a shiitty driver, then your awd system is gonna seem shiitty too. The G has one of the best awd system out there. It's mainly the driver that is shiitty. The system can only do soo much and after that it's the driver's ability behind the steering wheel that determine whether you get from point A to B.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My G is sporty as it was designed to be, I can't really complaint about its AWD system. I'm happy with it so far.

I want to drive it in the snow right now...but I can't even open my garage door...way too much slow!!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:10 PM
SindhiStyle

Originally Posted by NonAme
If you're a shiitty driver, then your awd system is gonna seem shiitty too. The G has one of the best awd system out there. It's mainly the driver that is shiitty. The system can only do soo much and after that it's the driver's ability behind the steering wheel that determine whether you get from point A to B.

I wasnt saying the AWD is shiity...I was saying it was subpar, and that is mostly due to the fact that the G isnt FULL TIME AWD. It is RWD until it slips. That fraction of a second is what puts this AWD system behind the full AWD systems of audi/subaru/mercedes.

It is HARD to have the back end swing out on any of those cars while with the infiniti it is still pretty easy even with snow mode engaged.

In the end, I still love my G
Old 12-27-2010, 11:44 PM
bocaytomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea but if it was FULL TIME AWD, we would be looking at even WORSE MPG, as I already get a miserable 14. Second I was in NYC the whole day today, the roads were disaster, cops were sliding, busses got stuck on hills in was a ClusterF$*K, but my G outperformed all other cars/trucks. And the Snow mode doesnt start it in Second, its a different transmission table and it shifts the car earlier to lose torque, as that is what causes slip. And i have snow tires and AWD...
Old 12-27-2010, 11:48 PM
SindhiStyle

Originally Posted by bocaytomas
yea but if it was FULL TIME AWD, we would be looking at even WORSE MPG, as I already get a miserable 14. Second I was in NYC the whole day today, the roads were disaster, cops were sliding, busses got stuck on hills in was a ClusterF$*K, but my G outperformed all other cars/trucks. And the Snow mode doesnt start it in Second, its a different transmission table and it shifts the car earlier to lose torque, as that is what causes slip. And i have snow tires and AWD...
only 14mpg...OUCH In the city I usually get around 18 and about 24 on the highway
Old 12-28-2010, 12:59 AM
slimlma04

have the awd... me and trucks on the road.....thats it....thumbs up on it as it was my first winter with this car.....love it
Old 12-31-2010, 12:48 AM
bacid

G AWD is subpar in that it is not as pro-active. however, that is what makes it so fun. i can slide out the backend in the winter just enough to make me smile but i know that it'll correct itself enough so that i won't get into trouble.

audi awd is no fun as it's fwd biased.. during the summer it's horrible to drive.

subie awd is best in class but driving the STI makes you feel like you're 18 yrs old.. the ride is so stiff that it's comparable to driving a lowered civic.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:11 AM
TONY37X

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NonAme
* Couldn't agree more!

Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
I dont know if I would ever call the AWD on the G "superb" I would use the word subpar when comparing it to the quattro system in an Audi, the AWD in a subaru or the 4matic in a Mercedes...and this is from personal experience owning them all. After saying that, I would never say its terrible either...but you still do need to be a little more careful with the G then with some other AWD systems.
* Personally I got the 37x because I wanted the blend of performance, luxury, and style neither Audi, Benz, and def Subaru can match. What kinda engine performance do you get out of a A4, A6, C300, C350 for more money? Garbage compared to the G, thats what! And a Subaru... Exactly, If you want to blow 45K on an Sti sure, you'll be fast but you'll look like an 18 year old and have as much class as a Ford Taurus. The G is not a rally car, nor would I ever want it to be!

Originally Posted by slimlma04
have the awd... me and trucks on the road.....thats it....thumbs up on it as it was my first winter with this car.....love it
* Agreed! I took mine out the day after our blizzard and couldn't be more impressed. This car will run great in a few inches of snow/slush, anymore than that you are going to run into clearance/traction issues which is expected, you are not driving an SUV.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tony27X: Ditto, man.... I've had the G35X and now a 2010 G37X, I think the AWD system is terrific. Beats our 2010 Honda CRV with AWD.