G37 Sedan

Snow!!! AWD !!! pretty good...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 03:09 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zmzmzm
I don't think it locks the AWD. It sets a 50/50 tourque split and I believe starts you in 2nd gear to reduce tourque.
Originally Posted by mossman
Also, it locks the AWD into 50:50 from a standstill (compared to the normal 75:25, or 60:40 don't quite remember). It will change the AWD on it's own after 12mph... or I sometimes hear 25mph. I believe it's 12mph though.
Originally Posted by efuseakay
Well... 50:50 would be locking in the AWD. lol

12mph... very well could be.
Originally Posted by TomsG37
Found this explanation for a 2004 G35x - it's probably the same for the newer models too.
Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.
Does anyone actually have Infiniti documentation to back these statements up? I'm pressing on this as I used to believe the same thing however several mechanics at different dealers have told me it only reduces throttle sensitivity and does not lock the AWD system at low speeds.

I've search high and low and have not found anything from an official Infiniti/Nissan source that says anything other than "snow mode reduces the throttle's sensitivity".
Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Riley
You forgot the Toyota FZJ-80 series Land Cruiser with both front and read locking diffs (of course center as well). Sure they are older vechicles (mine's a 1995) and they don't have fancy traction control but in terms heavy duty traction, full lockers are in their own league.

My cruiser doesn't have snow tires (wish it did) but the G37AWD with snows is about as good as it gets unless it's real deep.
Yeah, there are lots of older 4wd vehicles that were very capable, but I was talking about vehicles you can buy new today. I could go on and on listing older vehicles that have great 4wd systems. Unfortunately, those kind of vehicles are rare today. Remember the old International Scouts? Those things were very capable and I'd love to get my hands on one to restore. The later Scout II was my favorite of all.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:49 AM
tbear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AWD behavior in snow mode

I have not been able to find any Infiniti documentation of low-speed AWD lock other than some old G35 press releases. Newer press releases, on-line specs, sales documents, 2010 service manual do not mention different AWD behavior in snow mode. I have to say, my limited experience with my G37x the last few days is that traction seems enhanced in snow mode, I don't notice the momentary rear wheel slip in that mode even under heavy acceleration. That's with new 17" Nokian WR g2's which are not super snow tires. It's not as impressive as my previous A6 quattro with the previous version of WR tires, but it should be able to handle most upstate NY road conditions with ease. What I don't know is if it can muscle it's way through 12 to 18" of unplowed snow up-hill on my driveway like my Audi could (with traction control off to allow wheel spin). My Lexus rx350 AWD has trouble with that with a bit more ground clearance, but much less sophisticated AWD.

Last edited by tbear; 12-18-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-18-2010, 11:44 AM
iiiiiekoiiiii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow + awd = always fun,
Old 12-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
This is taken right from the Infiniti FSM:

SNOW MODE SWITCH

The snow mode switch signal is sent to the “unified meter and A/C amp.” from the snow mode switch. The “unified meter and A/C amp.” then sends the signal to the ECM via the CAN communication line. The snow mode is used for driving or starting the vehicle on snowy roads or slippery areas. If the snow mode is activated, the vehicle speed will not accelerate as quickly as normal to avoid vehicle slip. In other words, ECM controls rapid engine torque change by controlling the electric throttle control actuator operating speed.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:03 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Adam West
This is taken right from the Infiniti FSM:

SNOW MODE SWITCH

The snow mode switch signal is sent to the “unified meter and A/C amp.” from the snow mode switch. The “unified meter and A/C amp.” then sends the signal to the ECM via the CAN communication line. The snow mode is used for driving or starting the vehicle on snowy roads or slippery areas. If the snow mode is activated, the vehicle speed will not accelerate as quickly as normal to avoid vehicle slip. In other words, ECM controls rapid engine torque change by controlling the electric throttle control actuator operating speed.
So that confims it then. All the snow mode switch does it remap the throttle control.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Jayhawk815

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
So that confims it then. All the snow mode switch does it remap the throttle control.
This is all I've been able to find that isn't hearsay. It's amazing the amount of misinformation out there, even coming from salesmen at an Infiniti dealership. I had a salesman tell me one thing, the sales manager told me another, and both seemed to have been misinformed.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 AM
EKinNYC

had my taste of the part-time AWD last week when we had a dusting of snow in ny... id say about .25-.5in of accumulation. i was making a left turn, and when i gave it gas out of the turn, i felt the rear end slip out on me. i tried to right the car but i felt resistance. once i let go of the wheel and let up off the throttle, the car corrected itself. very interesting (and unexpected) experience, as its my first time owning a RWD/AWD car
Old 12-20-2010, 01:16 PM
jb606

Originally Posted by EKinNYC
had my taste of the part-time AWD last week when we had a dusting of snow in ny... id say about .25-.5in of accumulation. i was making a left turn, and when i gave it gas out of the turn, i felt the rear end slip out on me. i tried to right the car but i felt resistance. once i let go of the wheel and let up off the throttle, the car corrected itself. very interesting (and unexpected) experience, as its my first time owning a RWD/AWD car
That was more the traction control kicking in than the AWD.

Lifting completely off the gas when the rear comes loose can cause you spin the car (I found that out the hard way with a different car).
Old 12-20-2010, 01:29 PM
EKinNYC

Originally Posted by jb606
That was more the traction control kicking in than the AWD.
isnt that the ATESSA-ETS AWD traction constrol system in our cars?

Lifting completely off the gas when the rear comes loose can cause you spin the car (I found that out the hard way with a different car).
yikes, thats good to know. fortunately my car didnt fishtail too much, and there were no cars around in that intersection.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:38 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My 08xS with the stock all season tires used to fish tail a bit during turns if I wasn't careful with the throttle. My RWD G37 with the winter tires never fish tailed once last winter.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:06 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

isnt that the ATESSA-ETS AWD traction constrol system in our cars?
The AWD system may have kicked in but the resistence and you felt and "car correcting itself" was the VDC (traction and stability control). The AWD system just helps the car with traction, the VDC will active correctly the path of the car and straighten it out if the rear end slides around. AWD systems are usually pretty transparent.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:44 PM
dirtymaf

Slip Light

I was playing around with the car in the snow for the first time tonight and saw that there's a slip light that started flashing on the dash. I've never seen that in a car before, if I'm slipping off the road I don't need a light to tell me
Old 12-22-2010, 09:21 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had the G35x (wife's) and my G37xS for two winters now and they're "ok" in the snow. They are hella lot easier to drive (in all season tires .. i HATE switching out rims/tires in winter) than a RWD in all-seasons ..

Granted.. it does not feel as secure in the heavy snow as driving an AWD SUV, but then again, I like how the G's are biased towards RWD, as the the majority of the time I'm driving on dry pavement and want that RWD feel.

My car does fishtail if I goose it too much (without SNOW activated) and is very steady with SNOW activated.

Once you "learn" how to handle the Gx in the snow, it's a no brainer and is fairly predictable.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 AM
PascalT

we've had a lot of snow here in Montreal this year.. had a couple of 8"+ drops, and not once did we even come close to being stuck anywhere. It's a beast!

Quick Reply: Snow!!! AWD !!! pretty good...