G37 Sedan

Snow!!! AWD !!! pretty good...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:00 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by zmzmzm
I don't think it locks the AWD. It sets a 50/50 tourque split and I believe starts you in 2nd gear to reduce tourque.
Well... 50:50 would be locking in the AWD. lol

12mph... very well could be.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:56 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mossman

Anyway, the car is unstoppable with snow tires. I pass pickups and SUV's all the time in the snow. There was a landrover that was going much much too slow that I had to pass. A landrover for Pete's sake! Tires are king. I would much rather have 4 snow tires than a AWD car without them.

The Land Rover driver was probably just being cautious and rightfully so. You have to remember that he/she was driving a vehicle that weighs MUCH more than an AWD G37 and has a higher center of gravity. Plus, 4wd/AWD does nothing at all to improve stopping distances.

I've had a few AWD cars in the past and they do work well in the snow as long as the snow isn't deep. In deep snow, I'd take my 4Runner over any AWD car, simply because the extra ground clearance will allow me to go through snow that AWD cars simply can't handle.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:03 PM
mossman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
The Land Rover driver was probably just being cautious and rightfully so. You have to remember that he/she was driving a vehicle that weighs MUCH more than an AWD G37 and has a higher center of gravity. Plus, 4wd/AWD does nothing at all to improve stopping distances.

I've had a few AWD cars in the past and they do work well in the snow as long as the snow isn't deep. In deep snow, I'd take my 4Runner over any AWD car, simply because the extra ground clearance will allow me to go through snow that AWD cars simply can't handle.
I agree with you. A heavy vehicle and high center of gravity is not a good thing.

A lot of clueless people use ground clearance as a reason for their SUV. However, depends on how deep is deep snow... I have driven the G through over 8 inches with no problems.. smooth roads and dirt roads, not off roading. It was so deep the car was pushing the snow out of the way. Unless you are going off roading the ground clearance is not an issue... IMO.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:47 PM
MSCA
Banned

I agree with you. A heavy vehicle and high center of gravity is not a good thing.

A lot of clueless people use ground clearance as a reason for their SUV. However, depends on how deep is deep snow... I have driven the G through over 8 inches with no problems.. smooth roads and dirt roads, not off roading. It was so deep the car was pushing the snow out of the way. Unless you are going off roading the ground clearance is not an issue... IMO.
8 inches? LOL, my 4Runner would clear 8 inches of snow without even touching the bottom of the SUV. Trust me, ground clearance makes a difference when driving in deep snow. A car simply doesn't have the ground clearance necessary to stop from getting high centered. You don't have to drive offroad to have that problem. I had an AWD Eclipse that was great in snow that wasn't too deep. It got stuck in my driveway (which is almost level) several times in big snow storms. Once the snow reached the bottom of the car, it wouldn't go very far when it had to "push" the snow out of the way. Eventually the resistance from pushing the snow will overcome the traction of the tires.

The other thing to remember is not all 4wd or AWD systems are created equal. My 4Runner has an amazing 4wd system that has several different modes to act as a traditional 4wd vehicle with 4-high and 4-low gear or a fulltime AWD vehicle that can be used in any road conditions. Plus it has a center differential locker that splits power 50/50 between the front & rear axles and the ability to transfer power to the wheel with traction on each side. It's about as close to unstoppable as you can get in a 4wd vehicle. There are only a few vehicles that I can think of that have that kind of capability in snow: Jeep (Quadradrive II system is close), Land Rover (on their higher end vehicles, not the LR2 or Freelander), Nissan (Xterra Offroad edition with rear locker), and the Mercedes G-wagon (has lockable front/center/rear diffs)

Anyway, I've attached a pic of my 4Runner in about 8 or 9 inches of snow. The belly doesn't even rub at that depth.

Last winter I was on a ski trip in Lake Placid NY with a group of friends. We stayed at a Bed N' Breakfast set about a 1/4 mile off the road at the base of the mountain. We woke up to 18" of fresh snow that had fallen overnight. We were eager to get an early start skiing in the fresh snow. The long driveway was level all the way out to the road. One of my buddies couldn't get his AWD Subaru Legacy out of the driveway. He ended up hopping in my 4Runner and we went back to get his car later that night after the driveway had been plowed.
Attached Thumbnails Snow!!! AWD !!! pretty good...-picture-018.jpg  
Old 12-17-2010, 01:58 PM
mossman

8 inches? LOL, my 4Runner would clear 8 inches of snow without even touching the bottom of the SUV. Trust me, ground clearance makes a difference when driving in deep snow. A car simply doesn't have the ground clearance necessary to stop from getting high centered. You don't have to drive offroad to have that problem. I had an AWD Eclipse that was great in snow that wasn't too deep. It got stuck in my driveway (which is almost level) several times in big snow storms. Once the snow reached the bottom of the car, it wouldn't go very far when it had to "push" the snow out of the way. Eventually the resistance from pushing the snow will overcome the traction of the tires.

The other thing to remember is not all 4wd or AWD systems are created equal. My 4Runner has an amazing 4wd system that has several different modes to act as a traditional 4wd vehicle with 4-high and 4-low gear or a fulltime AWD vehicle that can be used in any road conditions. Plus it has a center differential locker that splits power 50/50 between the front & rear axles and the ability to transfer power to the wheel with traction on each side. It's about as close to unstoppable as you can get in a 4wd vehicle. There are only a few vehicles that I can think of that have that kind of capability in snow: Jeep (Quadradrive II system is close), Land Rover (on their higher end vehicles, not the LR2 or Freelander), Nissan (Xterra Offroad edition with rear locker), and the Mercedes G-wagon (has lockable front/center/rear diffs)

Anyway, I've attached a pic of my 4Runner in about 8 or 9 inches of snow. The belly doesn't even rub at that depth.

Last winter I was on a ski trip in Lake Placid NY with a group of friends. We stayed at a Bed N' Breakfast set about a 1/4 mile off the road at the base of the mountain. We woke up to 18" of fresh snow that had fallen overnight. We were eager to get an early start skiing in the fresh snow. The long driveway was level all the way out to the road. One of my buddies couldn't get his AWD Subaru Legacy out of the driveway. He ended up hopping in my 4Runner and we went back to get his car later that night after the driveway had been plowed.
I agree with you 100%. Those off road systems. ie. 4runner etc are very good off road and in the rare instance when you are in deep snow. I do think those systems are at a big disadvantage in typical on road travel though. For example, highway driving at 60 mph, snowy roads but not fully covered etc. Do you just turn it on and leave it on? Most people don't, to save gas and the fact that you can't steer a 4 runner worth a crap when the 4wd is engaged and the roads are only partly covered.

I don't know for sure, but I am betting an Eclipse has much less ground clearance than the G. Those cars are very low. I had a Subie legacy Gt and also drove though deep snow. Naturally it can only push it so far, but in unplowed roads that have been driven through it is a non-issue.

I stick my my statement that 95% of people are better off with the part time 4wd systems. Most don't need the heavy duty box frame like a 4runner, unless you tow or go off road. How many times have you driven your 4runner through that much snow? I am guessing now much considering you took the time to stop and take a pic.

As long as you stay in the right lane and let me pass you 99% of time when the 8 inches of ground clearance is meaningless, then I am happy..
Old 12-17-2010, 02:12 PM
MSCA
Banned

I agree with you 100%. Those off road systems. ie. 4runner etc are very good off road and in the rare instance when you are in deep snow. I do think those systems are at a big disadvantage in typical on road travel though. For example, highway driving at 60 mph, snowy roads but not fully covered etc. Do you just turn it on and leave it on? Most people don't, to save gas and the fact that you can't steer a 4 runner worth a crap when the 4wd is engaged and the roads are only partly covered.
Like I said, the 4Runner is somewhat unique. It has what is called "multi-mode" 4wd. It can act as a traditional 4wd vehicle by choosing between 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO gearing. Or I can simply put it in AWD mode and run 4HI on any pavement surface, even dry pavement. The gas mileage penalty is negligible leaving in in AWD mode. It's less than 1 MPG difference. In fact, 4Runners that don't have the multi-mode transfer case have the same EPA fuel economy rating, so that would support my statement that the difference in economy is negligible. And most people that drive vehicles like 4Runners don't care much about fuel economy anyway. They aren't economical vehicles in the first place.

As far as steering a 4Runner in 4wd with partly covered roads....well, that's where you're wrong. The fact that the 4Runner has a center differential allows the driver to drive a 4Runner just as smoothly and easily as an AWD car, even when the roads are only partially covered in snow. That's the beauty of the multi-mode transfer case. Like I said, you can treat it just like any AWD car, with the added benefit of increased ground clearance.

I stick my my statement that 95% of people are better off with the part time 4wd systems. Most don't need the heavy duty box frame like a 4runner, unless you tow or go off road. How many times have you driven your 4runner through that much snow? I am guessing now much considering you took the time to stop and take a pic.
I own a 4Runner for several difference reasons. I'm active with different activities and my 4Runner has been loaded up with kayaks on the roof and mountain bikes on the hitch rack. It's also very useful for camping and getting up to my winter cabin. I've also gone offroad with it occasionally. As far as your question, I drive my 4Runner through that much snow (and more) every winter. The reason I took that picture is because guys in my 4Runner forum are always asking for snow pictures. Not everybody lives in the snowbelt, ya know...LOL. BTW, I don't consider that a lot of snow at all.

As long as you stay in the right lane and let me pass you 99% of time when the 8 inches of ground clearance is meaningless, then I am happy..
When 8 inches of ground clearance is meaningless, I'll most likely be driving the G. Then you can try to pass me all you want. LOL
Old 12-17-2010, 03:40 PM
mossman

Nice to see someone using their SUV.

I like that year 4runner. The new ones are butt ugly!! If I had need for such a vehicle I would get one for sure.

Oh, that's not a lot of snow in my book either. I live in Northern Vt.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:51 PM
TomsG37

I have been reading these forums since I got my x in 2008. It's amazing how much confusion there seems to be on the X and snow mode.... STILL.

Snow mode makes the gas pedail less sensitive. It doesn't start you in second gear. Also, it locks the AWD into 50:50 from a standstill (compared to the normal 75:25, or 60:40 don't quite remember). It will change the AWD on it's own after 12mph... or I sometimes hear 25mph. I believe it's 12mph though.

I also contest that is changes the transmission shift points because the car seems to slow faster when you take your foot off the gas... lower gear.

Anyway, the car is unstoppable with snow tires. I pass pickups and SUV's all the time in the snow. There was a landrover that was going much much too slow that I had to pass. A landrover for Pete's sake! Tires are king. I would much rather have 4 snow tires than a AWD car without them.

Been snowing for over a week here and driving on snow covered roads every day.

My two cents anyway.
Found this explanation for a 2004 G35x - it's probably the same for the newer models too.

From a standing start, the ATTESA system adjusts the front-to-rear torque distribution, adding 25 percent to the front wheels for a more powerful start. The system then quickly adjusts torque distribution as needed, sending up to 100 percent to the rear wheels if conditions warrant, or adjusting the front drive percentage up to 50 percent as needed.

In cornering situations, the ATTESA system can detect traction needs throughout the course of a turn and react accordingly. With its millisecond response time, the system can shift torque back and forth between the front and rear wheels to help enhance stability and traction. For example, in entering a corner (under normal driving conditions), the system functions nearly the same as any rear-wheel drive car.

Torque distribution is almost 100 percent rear. Once in the corner, the system is able to transfer to the front wheels that portion of the drive torque that the rear wheels can't handle. This results in outstanding, sports car-like cornering ability. When exiting the corner, torque can be quickly transferred according to the wheel spin of the rear wheels from 50:50 up to 0:100 for smooth acceleration out of the turn.

Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.

With the Blizzaks, AWD and Snow mode, I'm having lots of fun playing in the snow.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:01 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been reading these forums since I got my x in 2008. It's amazing how much confusion there seems to be on the X and snow mode.... STILL.

Snow mode makes the gas pedail less sensitive. It doesn't start you in second gear. Also, it locks the AWD into 50:50 from a standstill (compared to the normal 75:25, or 60:40 don't quite remember). It will change the AWD on it's own after 12mph... or I sometimes hear 25mph. I believe it's 12mph though.
Could you please provide a link to Infiniti or some service bulletin from Infiniti that this is actually the case? It doesn't say anything like this in the G37x manual (someone kindly reproduced what the manual says above). I have read what you have stated above elsewhere through my lurking on the forum, but nobody has been able to back it up these assertions.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 PM
MSCA
Banned

Yeah, they really did screw up the styling with the 2010+ models. I wouldn't buy a new one in the current body style!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:45 PM
bocaytomas

This may be somewhat counterproductive to this thread... but I hear that in the G35X one could take out the AWD fuse and the car would stay in RWD, is that achievable with a 37?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:26 PM
cvroom

Originally Posted by NonAme
luckily i saw her coming in the rear view mirror and from her speed expected she would not cut it in time so i slammed the pedal and swerve out of the way. Girl ended up almost completely pass the stop sign and onto traffic.
very key on your part. i have been labelling these drivers "holiday drivers" . usually most of them are out on the weekend and they keep me on my toes at the wheel. multiple people pulling out in front of me while im at speed, quick lane shifts across 3 lanes to make a turn, mindlessly careless driving on the highway oh yes, i have witnessed many in the past 2 weeks.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:28 PM
G hits the spot

My G37Xs is just over a year old now.I live in Canada,and my region had the mildest winter ever last year. No shoveling snow,but I didn't get to test the AWD at all last year. I also bought new snows (Dunlop 3D's) and it finally snowed this week.
I have to say that this car feels as stable as a mountain goat out there.

Just a quick question to those more learned:
If I turn off the stability control and want to have some fun in a snowy parking lot,will that keep the car on rear wheel drive only?

If the VSC is off,it cannot detect wheel spin,and stay in rear wheel mode?

Any thoughts?
Old 12-18-2010, 12:00 AM
cvroom

vdc works by applying braking to either of the 4 wheels during slip or skidding to keep the car streight. it doesnt control the application of power to the front and rear wheels , so turning vdc off will not affect the awd capability of the car. try it out in a snowy parking lot and see what it feels like. trying to recover from the fish tail by countersteering will void itself i think
Old 12-18-2010, 02:37 AM
Riley
Registered Member

...snip...
There are only a few vehicles that I can think of that have that kind of capability in snow: Jeep (Quadradrive II system is close), Land Rover (on their higher end vehicles, not the LR2 or Freelander), Nissan (Xterra Offroad edition with rear locker), and the Mercedes G-wagon (has lockable front/center/rear diffs)
..snip
You forgot the Toyota FZJ-80 series Land Cruiser with both front and read locking diffs (of course center as well). Sure they are older vechicles (mine's a 1995) and they don't have fancy traction control but in terms heavy duty traction, full lockers are in their own league.

My cruiser doesn't have snow tires (wish it did) but the G37AWD with snows is about as good as it gets unless it's real deep.

Quick Reply: Snow!!! AWD !!! pretty good...